[NFP] Civilization VI: Maya & Gran Colombia Pack Discussion Thread

Short question - is it worth the price or not? Can we get a poll added as well. First glance, I think the price is steep but I want it :)

Yeah I think the Maya are going to get a nerf at some point. This science per turn is... off the charts.

Just to put this in perspective.. I often get between 2000 and 3500 science per turn before t200. Of course this depends on # of cities and so on, but 700 science per turn is not especially high, in fact 2000 science per turn is usually the benchmark for winning fast (3000 and more is simply overkill often enough). It's not really a testimony to the Maya being OP.

Last edited:
Short question - is it worth the price or not? Can we get a poll added as well. First glance, I think the price is steep but I want it :)
I'm going to answer just on the pack, not on the pass (I recommend the pass, for the overall saving and two bonus alt leaders we'll get)

I have played only the Maya. I think it's worth it for them, for a game that plays differently. If you perfer to play a more militaristic game, it looks like Gran Colombia is a great civ for that. Apocalypse mode, based on the livestream last night, looks like it could be an interesting addition to play around with. So for me, I don't regret it at all.

you can still get 1 GPT for a strategic ressource though I believe, if you use the "what would you give" option, correct?
No, it's only 1 gold, not 1 gpt, if they have 40 but are not filled up to the brim.

I'm sure it's been mention, but does Lady Six Sky share the same model Amanitore and Simon share his model with Pedro?

OK i bought this today on steam and steam says it is installed, but no new civs and can't see the pack in my DLC. Am i being dumb?? This is Steam and MacOS.

Pleadse help :-(

I'm sure it's been mention, but does Lady Six Sky share the same model Amanitore and Simon share his model with Pedro?

Someone with more knowledge of animation can probably correct me, but...

The new leaders seem to share a skeleton with older leaders. This means they can (and do) reuse some idle animations. However they also have new animations for their voiced lines.

The shared rig is presumably why they have a similar body shape and accessories (e.g. the staff, necklaces and epaulettes). But the models themselves are clearly different.

And, well... look at Lady Six Sky’s headdress! Saying Firaxis have just reskinned the model is a huge disservice to the artists who have clearly spent a lot of time designing these leaders, who really do look great.

Did they update the frequency of disasters or something? In my only game post-patch I had floods and volcanoes going off CONSTANTLY. This was on non-apocalpyse mode with whatever the default disaster setting is.

Did they update the frequency of disasters or something? In my only game post-patch I had floods and volcanoes going off CONSTANTLY. This was on non-apocalpyse mode with whatever the default disaster setting is.

Oh, I hope this is the case, that sounds brilliant.

I always thought the disaster system was generally too kind.

Can't say for sure but so far this is consistent with what I'm seeing. At about turn 100 (disaster level 3 which is what I normally use and it's never as many as this) and so far I've had two megacolossal eruptions in my territory, multiple smaller ones, a forest fire and multiple floods. On a couple of occasions the same volcano erupted twice in successive turns (one of the megacolossal eruptions was right after a gentle one). It's nuts but my Mayan cities are getting fat and loving it :)

Um also separate issue, is there a bug? On turn 10 I Just made a Great Work (Relic) after being flooded.....I have literally no faith generation, how is this?

Is it possible you had an apostle with the Martyr promotion that got killed by the flood ? Really don't know if that's possible, and if it would trigger the relic, since it wouldn't have been death by combat, but hey...

Yeah I think the Maya are going to get a nerf at some point. This science per turn is... off the charts.
View attachment 556723

honestly, as @yung.carl.jung already mentionned, having 700/800 science by turn 300+ is certainly NOT a sign of OPness.. I wouldn't go as far as saying the 2000/3000 is normal for a non min/max player, as he does, but this feels right in what is normal in my games anyways

I think that if you activate Apocalypse mode, the disaster setting sets automatically to 4 !!!

Yeah, my disaster level 3 definitely feels like I've seen more floods than ever before, however that might be because my game happens to have a lot of close floodable rivers. Really not sure what things will look like in apocalypse mode...

As for my initial take on my Mayan game last night, I don't think they're super-OP. I enjoy how it's a different puzzle to the game, but the lack of water really does hurt you, and certainly a consistent +3 or +4 half price campus is awesome, they're not insanely better than, say, Korea for science.

But they are for sure a nice civ to defend with, since they basically get crossbows in the ancient era. I was pretty happy when Saladin declared war on me, was just some free XP for my units.

Just to put this in perspective.. I often get between 2000 and 3500 science per turn before t200. Of course this depends on # of cities and so on, but 700 science per turn is not especially high, in fact 2000 science per turn is usually the benchmark for winning fast (3000 and more is simply overkill often enough). It's not really a testimony to the Maya being OP.

You get that with 7 cities?

You get that with 7 cities?

I never have less than 10, usually between 15-20. I said this in my post as well, weird that you'd ask (# of cities matters hugely).

however 14 cities DONT have twice the science of 7. and 20 don't have thrice the science of 7, not even close. so even though peak science depends on # of cities, a peak science of 700 isn't incredibly high for 7 cities. especially considering turn timer. it's very respectable.

if I can get 3000 peak science with 20, an equal player should get around 1500 with 7+ cities, considering wonders, growth, focus, savings on settler/military cost and so forth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom