[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

don't expect changes of core mechanics like snowballing effect. What we should expect from NFP are:
1. new civilizations, or minor features like new buildings, CS, wonders, etc.
2. revamping things like Work Ethic or Industrial Zone adjacencies which may change a little bit a game, but is based on existing mechanics
3. Modes will be altering game experience but not deepen it. This is what you should expect from "cherry on top". It ads cherries but not change the taste of cake :D
It is all said by devs, so why do we expect anything else?

This is what you should expect from "cherry on top". It ads cherries but not change the taste of cake :D
It is all said by devs, so why do we expect anything else? [emphasis added]

No, not expecting anything else. Just wishing it was more.

Sigh. It’s all quite frustrating. But it is what it is.

, my expectation is that anyone wanting some serious end game content is very likely to be very disappointed;

I doubt that. They are adding stuff and that stuff needs to go somewhere.

The very early game could do with an improvement as well imo. It's pretty dull.

E.g.

Code of Laws unlocks three Tier 0 government types, with the following slots:
- 1M, 1E
- 2M
- 2E

- Improve the early Scout Policy Card to give them extra +1 movement.

Ive put 1427 hours into civ 6 which is cracking value for money (i have GS and pre frontier dlc's) but i am torn about buying this.

I feel less desire to play, and although i was intending to win with every civ i have little desire to finish the last two religious civs since i found RV boring.

On the one hand it might refresh me, on the other hand red death doesnt appeal so 30 quid seems a lot for two new civs and some cosmetic resource changes?

Not moaning about the game, i cant think of any others i have put 1427 hours into (i got bored after 310 hours on civ 5)

Personally think RV needs rethinking and AI needs work, and DV could do with work.

Ive put 1427 hours into civ 6 which is cracking value for money (i have GS and pre frontier dlc's) but i am torn about buying this.

I feel less desire to play, and although i was intending to win with every civ i have little desire to finish the last two religious civs since i found RV boring.

On the one hand it might refresh me, on the other hand red death doesnt appeal so 30 quid seems a lot for two new civs and some cosmetic resource changes?

Not moaning about the game, i cant think of any others i have put 1427 hours into (i got bored after 310 hours on civ 5)

Personally think RV needs rethinking and AI needs work, and DV could do with work.

For starters they could get rid of missionaries and gurus and have a single missionary unit that works like the Spy unit in regards to movement/placement. Inquisitor could just be a tier 0 promotion which you would use within your own territory. The amount of units available to you would then depend on the amount of beliefs unlocked + certain civics reached + some other stuff.

As for Apostles, they could make them into Great People (Great Theologians as in JFD's), which you would get after unlocking all Prophets. You'd then be able to shape your Religion depending on the Great Theologians you unlock. Imo that would work so much better.

Might be a bit too late for that though. RV can be improved in many ways, but what really makes it boring imo is unit movement. It's just mindless and repetitive.

As for Apostles, they could make them into Great People (Great Theologians as in JFD's), which you would get after unlocking all Prophets. You'd then be able to shape your Religion depending on the Great Theologians you unlock. Imo that would work so much better.
They are VERY unlikely to add anything from any mods... Granted I REALLY wish they could add anything from JFD's mods but...
it is hopeless.

They've already added stuff from mods to the game - Map Tacks as well as the leader yield ribbon.
those are "minor" things that only affect visuals.
I REALLY doubt they are willing to add any major mods that affect the gameplay.
Not saying I don't want it but... I am bit sceptical about the chance. I do believe chances are the same as having rain in the desert.

For starters they could get rid of missionaries and gurus and have a single missionary unit that works like the Spy unit in regards to movement/placement. Inquisitor could just be a tier 0 promotion which you would use within your own territory. The amount of units available to you would then depend on the amount of beliefs unlocked + certain civics reached + some other stuff.

Might be a bit too late for that though. RV can be improved in many ways, but what really makes it boring imo is unit movement. It's just mindless and repetitive.

Those are great ideas, there could even be a 'tech tree' for religion the way there is for culture and science

As it stands, i abandoned my last game - i did the groundwork, got strong faith output, but couldnt face the dozens and dozens of apostles being moved around.

I think maybe i am just too impatient. When i do a domination victory, once i have 40 or 50 cities i would give anything to just to be able to tell a city manager to focus on something and leave me alone, i get frustrated having to manage 15-20 cities every turn when i just want to conquer those last few cities :)

those are "minor" things that only affect visuals.I REALLY doubt they are willing to add any major mods that affect the gameplay.
Not saying I don't want it but... I am bit sceptical about the chance. I do believe chances are the same as having rain in the desert.

I doubt that they are especially prone to include stuff because there is a (good) mod out there in the sense "oh, someone else has done quality work, lets take it and make money out of it" (they have the right to do so, but it is still not a no-brainer for a developer), but OTOH I also don't believe that a good mod out there dimishes the chance to get something similar or occasionally even exactly the same into the game - for two reasons:

1) It would be bad for a developer to just rule out beneficial changes and additions to the game just because someone modded them already
2) A well developed, well received and often used mod is a sign that players like the content or changes and while new stuff is must as well, especially Civ developement philosophy is partly bringing back well-done stuff of past iterations. Why not bringing also well-done content of mods, too?

Not something I "wish" for, but it would be such a world class move if in today's video they said:

"Well, we were planning on releasing Ethiopia and Venice today, but in the interest of pleasing our fans we realized that what you really want is proper new leader animations for existing leaders. In accordance with your wishes, we've spent the last month changing Amanitore's and Philip's leader animations so that they do not conflict with the new leaders'."

I'd pay good money to watch the people on this board react to that. :mischief:

those are "minor" things that only affect visuals.
I REALLY doubt they are willing to add any major mods that affect the gameplay.

Okay but now you're changing your point.

Initially you said you doubt they'll ever use mod content. I'm pointing out that they have already done so.

So if a community patch can include a free game mode, that means we are getting more than the six game modes that come with the dlc, which is cool and adds more ways to play the game.

"Well, we were planning on releasing Ethiopia and Venice today, but in the interest of pleasing our fans we realized that what you really want is proper new leader animations for existing leaders. In accordance with your wishes, we've spent the last month changing Amanitore's and Philip's leader animations so that they do not conflict with the new leaders'."
Wouldn't it be Amanitore and Pedro? :p
And Venice coming out of nowhere?

One thing I am heartened by is that the Twitter account is regularly asking for feedback on the changes from the NFP.

And one of the benefits of this model of delivery is that there may be opportunities for course correction if the community will is strong enough. Perhaps not major, but more so than dropping an expansion all at once.

That being said, I don’t anticipate any drastic overhauls but I also think they could add challenge to the end of the game without requiring anything major.

An example off the top of my head (so likely crap) is having a mode where as the delta between you and other Civs gets bigger, they react accordingly.

So if your science becomes more than 50% of the second best Civ then an emergency is declared and the other Civs all start dogpiling you. All wars declared on you, all spies come to you, trade routes denied etc etc. I’m not sure how fun that would be but it would certainly be challenging, and without requiring anything particularly taxing (one would assume). And the beauty would be that you could toggle it on and off so more casual players would have the option.

I’m sure you could all come up with much cleverer suggestions, but I think there is mileage for change without adding more systems

There are certain things that I believe they can add to the game that certain people want within the existing mechanics we already have.

I know I want some sort of disease game mode that they can easily make it into a new type of natural disaster and add a Pandemic Emergency in the world congress.

As for corporations, it might not be ideal, but I could se it being a reskin of the whole religion mechanic. Obviously you would instead be found one with a Great Merchant in a Commercial Hub. Also instead of clogging up the map with more new units, like a corporation "missionary", instead I think it would be better for your corporation to spread to other cities through traders already present in the game.

I'm expecting them to reuse another leader's idle animations for Ethiopia (not that I mind too much with Lady Six Sky; Simón on the other hand was a bit too obvious in my opinion but barable) so I want to be that if it's Menelik II that his idle animations are that of Frederick Barbarossa or John Curtin.
I do hope it's not Haile Selassie this time around.

With Menelik II we will have a nice continous spread of Civilizations from throught history; Ancient Nubia, Classical Egypt, Medieval Mali, Renaissonce Kongo, Industrial Zulu and Modern Ethiopia. If we get Haile Selassie then I think he would represent the Atomic Era instead of Modern Era. (but eitherway; is stil means one or the other eras will be missing.)

Top Bottom