[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Maybe he will be like Kupe and hate you for not stopping climate change in 5000 BC, except it will be national parks instead
Realistically Kupe won't hate you until much later because he'll still be in the ocean trying to find land until about 2000 B.C. :mischief:

To be fair the world congress is aware of climate change before they're aware of the shape of the earth.

Last game I had a -17 penalty for emissions before the fracking industrial era.

How did the neologism “malus” come to replace the word “penalty” on this forum? As far as I know malus is a genus of plants. Of course, the prefix “mal” does mean bad...

I've always used it even before joining this forum.

Last edited:
To be fair the world congress is aware of climate change before they're aware of the shape of the earth.

Well, it's only some bakwater fundamentalist that think the Earth is flat.

During most of Middle-Ages, people either knew it was round or they didn't cared at all. Ancient Mediterranea knew it too and Eratosthenes even calculating its circumference with incredible accuracy. I can't speak for other cultures though but looking at the marvels some civilizations did in Astronomy, I wouldn't be surprised if ancient China and Mayans knew about it too. Modern occidental astronomy might have begun with Copernic, but they had solid references and knowledge before that.

Yeah, a vocal minority in the USA is stupider than a simple man 3000 years ago.

Is there anyone really enjoying the Apocalypse mode? What do you think about the new Secret Societies mode?

Apart from the addition of new Civs and balanced patches I personally don't like at all what firaxis has been doing lately.

I love some parts of it so much that I kind of think it could be on by default for me.

However, there is also a lot of things poorly done and plain badly designed in the mode, and a lot needs tweaking. So my default game setting is now with the mod that brings solar flares and comets to the base game. Though it is also not perfect.

Last edited:
Is there anyone really enjoying the Apocalypse mode? What do you think about the new Secret Societies mode?

I don't really enjoy Apocalypse mode (don't mind it either) but I'm interested in Secret Societies, I feel it can at least bring a few fun new ways to play. I especially want to try converting the world to my civilization with French Aliénor Void Singers. Hermetic Order looks fun too, might try it with Brazil. Not sure I'll try the other 2.

Last edited:
Meteor strikes seem to give a hvy cav unit that current for you. My submarine just got a Modern Armor from one. Then learned about Robotics from a tribal village.

I think Ethiopia looks a lot like what I wished Georgia would have been. Heavy culture and, especially, faith focus with a large desire for hill. I'm excited to play them, unlike Georgia (sorry Tamar, it's not you, it's my reaction to you).

Perhaps I am an outlier, but so far I have been enjoying the pace and breadth of content in this Pass.

Well, it's only some bakwater fundamentalist that think the Earth is flat.

Not all people knew, because of a lack of education... besides they sisnt actually know in fact , that was just a theory until the end of the renaissance. Theres a reason why words like firmament, heaven, and underworld aren't obsolete; people thought in great volume that the earth was flat...ish.

And its nowhere near as minor as you would like to think. The divestment of American public schools is bearing terrible fruit that will haunt us for a hundred years.

They should have included flat earthers as a secret society! XD

I think Ethiopia looks a lot like what I wished Georgia would have been. Heavy culture and, especially, faith focus with a large desire for hill. I'm excited to play them, unlike Georgia (sorry Tamar, it's not you, it's my reaction to you).

Perhaps I am an outlier, but so far I have been enjoying the pace and breadth of content in this Pass.
So where is the place for the Byzantines now? :mischief:

Not all people knew, because of a lack of education... besides they sisnt actually know in fact , that was just a theory until the end of the renaissance. Theres a reason why words like firmament, heaven, and underworld aren't obsolete; people thought in great volume that the earth was flat...ish.

And its nowhere near as minor as you would like to think. The divestment of American public schools is bearing terrible fruit that will haunt us for a hundred years.

Flat Earther is already in the game as a hidden agenda.

Last edited:
besides they sisnt actually know in fact , that was just a theory until the end of the renaissance.

It was known in fact. Eratosthenes measured it, proving it was not flat. If it was flat, he wouldn't have measured its circumference. And when you read about ancient greek and ancient roman texts (De Rerum Natura from Lucrece for example), it was well known that Earth was a sphere. The rest of the universe was less known: they still were geocentrists (the first heliocentrist was Aristarques but he has no proof for that), that stars were stuck to the firmament, and stuff like that. But "flat earth" has always been more tuff of mythologies; but when some philosopher pondered two seconds about the shape of the Earth, they often quickly deduced that it was round.

It was known in fact. Eratosthenes measured it, proving it was not flat. If it was flat, he wouldn't have measured its circumference. And when you read about ancient greek and ancient roman texts (De Rerum Natura from Lucrece for example), it was well known that Earth was a sphere. The rest of the universe was less known: they still were geocentrists (the first heliocentrist was Aristarques but he has no proof for that), that stars were stuck to the firmament, and stuff like that. But "flat earth" has always been more tuff of mythologies; but when some philosopher pondered two seconds about the shape of the Earth, they often quickly deduced that it was round.

Comparing knowledge from ancient texts that were in the hands of an elite few... in a semi-literate society (at best)...

To a movement that is largely confined to the least educated people in the Western world...

To draw conclusions about what the general population of either time knew/thought...

You all should really be getting PhD's for your mindblowing insights

(not defending the theory, just saying its hypocritical to judge others for stupidity when the reasoning process behind one of the arguments against it is pretty stupid/ignorant itself.)

Last edited:
So where is the place for the Byzantines now? :mischief:
Possible focus on government and social policies, military and naval, infrastructure and wonder building, and even amenities to name a few. :p

And its nowhere near as minor as you would like to think.
It really is. It's a few people in basements who want attention on the internet.

I'm sad to say I know one. He's just a stubborn old recalcitrant fool. He may be doing it for attention, but not from the internet.
I'm not saying there aren't some people who really believe it, but I'm pretty certain most of the Flat Earthers one encounters on the internet are trolls just looking for attention. (But I've never had the misfortune of knowing a Flat Earther in real life.)

It's quite scary what neoliberalism has done to this country. The overall lack of ethical imperatives and the entrustment of education to media conglomerates, corporate campaigns, and consumerized universities has resulted in the average American being thoroughly nonconcerned with their local and national communities. We are a culture which prioritizes leisure and luxury over basic infrastructure and social responsibility, to such an extent that it is now common practice to avoid political discourse and attack others for initiating it. Our government has already been infiltrated by transparently corrupt aristocrats hell-bent on dismantling public protections and exploiting the lower classes, and half the population is still so undereducated as to think they can reasonably hold an opinion otherwise. HALF the population. That is terrifying.

And it's even more terrifying that this is happening pretty universally across developed countries. The leisure class across the globe is stupid, so deprived that they don't even know it, and the only way to prevent societal collapse is to reform the education system for the next generation.

Oh the irony.

My bets on Teddy's new agenda: Allows creation of natural parks earlier (not sure how earlier, but earlier).

I don't see this happening? Seems many of the other "you get this earlier" unique abilities tend to align with historical origins. National parks were a modern development so I don't see civ ahistorically placing them even earlier.

It's quite scary what neoliberalism has done to this country. The overall lack of ethical imperatives and the entrustment of education to media conglomerates, corporate campaigns, and consumerized universities has resulted in the average American being thoroughly nonconcerned with their local and national communities. We are a culture which prioritizes leisure and luxury over basic infrastructure and social responsibility, to such an extent that it is now common practice to avoid political discourse and attack others for initiating it. Our government has already been infiltrated by transparently corrupt aristocrats hell-bent on dismantling public protections and exploiting the lower classes, and half the population is still so undereducated as to think they can reasonably hold an opinion otherwise. HALF the population. That is terrifying.

And it's even more terrifying that this is happening pretty universally across developed countries. The leisure class across the globe is stupid, so deprived that they don't even know it, and the only way to prevent societal collapse is to reform the education system for the next generation.

Moderator Action: Time to stop talking about current events and politics in a game thread. Next time, expect thread bans and infractions.

Top Bottom