1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

It's interesting they would seemingly bundle Kublai Khan and Vietnam with an economy mode (I guess this is going to be pack 4, from the roadmap).

Are any of these particularly famous for trade?

2. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

The connection may be very thin. Apocalypse only connects with Mayan stereotype and even then the Maya theirself didn't have It's the Final Countdown ability. For SS to fit into Ethiopia it requires some mental gymnastics. So it may be just because of already mentoined Silk Road.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, it's possible they may only loosely tie together (like the fact that Ethiopia essentially shares an ability with one of the secret societies in converting faith to other yields).

Jeppetto and Zaarin like this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Kublai Khan was famous for trade, yes. He had much of the Silk Road under his control, and of course Marco Polo visited his court. As others have said, though, I don't think any direct connection is necessary.

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

As others have said Marco Polo visited his court and traveled from Venice to China along the Silk Road and by that time in history the Mongolian Empire basically controlled the Asian portion of it.
    I don't think Vietnam necessarily goes with the theme other than it's also East Asia. Same for Gran Colombia not themed with the Apocalypse but geographically close to the Maya.

I like to think Secret Society= Underground Church which is Ethiopia's unique infrastructure.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

I could see Kublai getting some silk road-themed trade bonuses, after all, we already have one mainly military focused Mongolian leader. Kublai's possible trade abilities could combine nicely with the Mongolian Örtöö ability.

7. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I think if the modes can thematically be put together with a Civ in a pack, they'll do it, but it doesn't mean all Civs/modes must necessarily be themed.

Zaarin and Hawke9 like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

But then again the Byzantines or Italy would go well with a plague game mode. :mischief:

Duuk and AntSou like this.
  9. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

At least three of the four remaining game modes are intended to be historically appropriate, thematically speaking. And there's one new district still on the docket. Presumably the two new buildings will belong to the new district, but this isn't a certainty. If we assume one of the new game modes and the new district are linked, what are some possibilities for the district and its respective buildings?

10. Alexander's Hetaroi

I don't think the game mode will be directly linked to the new district considering the Diplo Quarter wasn't needed for Secret Societies.

There is always the possibility that we could get new buildings, improvements, or even an extra district exclusively for the game mode considering we got unique infrastructure for the Secret Societies.

Considering it's rumored to be an alternate economy game mode I'm not sure about a whole new district but I could definitely see new buildings or improvements pop up especially if it could revolve around corporations and the different corporations might have special infrastructure, like the Secret Societies.

Jeppetto and AvianBritish like this.
  11. Haig

Haig Deity

As rest of the game modes require only Rise&Fall and no Gathering Storm, there could be game mode that alters Alliances, and could include a new emergency World war.

I think they could do something with the Era points and golden aged, like some events for example: Dark ages could trigger plague

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah I'm hoping any "economy pack" will involve a rework/re-explanation of the still pretty opaque Trading Post building and the whole system that goes with it. I mean I get how it works but tis kind of pointless right now to me.

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

I think a World War emergency would work like this: Either you or a civilization that you are allied with has either declared war on another civilization who is allied with someone else. Every civilization that is allied with these two opposing forces has the chance of joining or staying neutral.

Going into a dark age could also spawn roaming barbarian hordes for the era and maybe they could be named like the Huns, Xiongnu, etc.

14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Pack 3 is using Rise and Fall mechanics.

Pack 4 to 6 do not require any expansion.

I'm hoping Pack 3 uses the Loyalty mechanic, though I can see it using Eras as well.

Don't forget the free game modes. These are likely to be for GS.

Jeppetto and Haig like this.
  15. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

The leak mentioned an "alternate economy" gamemode. How do you think this would look? An overhaul of how gold is used and earned?

16. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Speaking of, what are the odds such a game mode would include a new victory condition? I don't necessarily think the game needs another victory condition, but a new path to victory would be a great way to shake things up and add replayability.

If plagues are added to the game then the remaining district might be connected with building like hospitals.

Now that's a fun idea. If they base them off of specific groups they can have them led by appropriate great generals, making more potent raiders than standard barbarians.

Hawke9 likes this.
  17. Hunyadi

Hunyadi Chieftain

Maybe I'm totally off base but it could be something like we see in RTS's. Meaning that you can buy whatever unit you want with the resources you have right now. There are no turns attached to it. Although that's not really an alternate economy, just an alternate method of interpreting the resources available in the game.

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm on the fence about a possible Economy victory. On one hand it might be cool but I feel like if they brought back corporations, which I would want, it would probably feel to similar to a religious victory by spreading your corporation to other cities/civs.
    I don't know if it would be tied to corporations but if it is I would hope that different corporations basically just help you out towards the victory conditions already present.

19. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

In my ideal world, a real economic victory should be tied to a kind of global economic marketplace, where all the strategic and luxury resources as well as manufactured goods of corporations are traded. Basically corporations consume resources to generate goods, which confer additional benefits. All the corporations have stocks/bonds, and the victor is whoever gets a majority holding (and does a hostile takeover) in everyone else's corporations, basically making a global corporate monopoly. That way, inflation - the strongest and most oft overlooked force of history, might actually show up in a civ game :lol:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  20. Vrenir

Vrenir King

I like Myomoto's idea, but I'd also be willing to settle for a mercantile-style Economic victory which focuses on monopolizing resources via trade, settlement, and conquest. I'd also like to see a return of the Outpost functionality from Civ III, where you can build one on a resource outside of your territory to secure access instead of building a full city, though I'd imagine that Outposts would be susceptible to loyalty flips to neighboring civs, or maybe trying to become an independent city or city state.