1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Along the lines of outposts (which I agree should return to the game as, at minimum, a functional alternative to forts), I would also like to propose the idea of a "town" or "village."

Someone came up with the brilliant idea a few years back that settlers shouldn't actually found cities but towns, which would function as sort of proto-cities which would then evolve into cities after a set number of turns. The idea being that if you were ever forward settled by a civ, you could steal or raze their town before it became a city and avoid all the warmongering penalties. That wouldn't really be an "economic" mode, probably more of a "frontier" mode if anything.

And, in the same line as towns, I think the goodyhut/barbarian camp system could use a bit of an overhaul by allowing you to keep them around as a tribal "village" district/improvement. I've never liked how simpler people were portrayed in civ as either goodyhuts or barbarians which in either case must be outright eliminated from the map, but maybe giving them a name and allowing you to incorporate them into your empire (maybe with particular tribal bonuses) would help humanize them a bit.

2. Vrenir

Vrenir King

Interesting, so Settlers would found Outposts instead of Cities, and they would grow into Cities?

untitledjuan likes this.
  3. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Well it depends on how it might be implemented. Maybe settlers found towns which will always evolve into cities, but outposts remain outposts unless your territory encompasses them, when they turn into improvements?

8housesofelixir and Myomoto like this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

That's kind of how Humankind seems to be doing it though instead of settlers you use scouts.
    You can choose to make them a new city or expand your existing city to the outpost. I'm not sure if Civ will ever go down that route though.

5. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

I think it's Diseases - would make more sense to add that for free, than try to make a profit out of it in NFP..
    Perhaps it's a "simple" addition to Housing - the current soft cap limit will generate Diseases that may (passively) spread like religions do.

Inawordyes, NCC-1701, Jkchart and 3 others like this.
  6. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Do we know who designed the plague scenario? It's interesting that supposedly new UI is needed...

If epidemics are added, I would generally expect it to heavily reuse assets from the scenario - which would also make sense for why it would be a free mode.

Inawordyes, AntSou, NCC-1701 and 2 others like this.
  7. Haig

Haig Deity

There is also the mystery seen in some Chinese NFP preview image: units that have Lifespan and Renown on their stats.

Like is it from a game mode, a scenario or some early placeholders? I would actually like to see image again if someone has a link.

Hawke9 likes this.
  8. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

First it was the Cree and now the plague, damn you Qin Shi Huang. Maybe he was mad that NFP cost too much in his country?:rolleyes:

9. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Do we know where the image is? I'm curious what units have these stats. Off the cuff it sounds like a great person rebalancing since so many have complained about great people being immortal.

10. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

So MoorTires is the new DLC codename. Any thoughts? I don't know anything about the Moors.

Revanchist likes this.
  11. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

Moore tires has been a family operated business in Illinois since 1981, and, as a family man, I am proud to support this partnership with Firaxis

On a more serious note, I wish Firaxis was as transparent as Amplitude

12. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Prior DLC codenames have been things like TinyCar, ZoomZoom, Runner, SoonTM, Plaid. They ultimately had nothing to do with the content of the packs as far as anyone can discern.

That said, Morocco occupies an interesting point of discussion. On the one hand, it is only one of six civs from V who haven't returned or been replaced by a regional/cultural equivalent (Morocco, Venice, Shoshone, Portugal, Byzantium, Assyria); it follows that Morocco is also highly likely to return or be replaced by an equivalent like Cordoba, Andalus, Numidia, Mauritania, Berbers, etc. Particularly since North Africa is quite empty now compared to V cramming Songhai, Morocco, and Carthage together, there definitely appears to be space for a Moorish civ.

On the other hand, Fez was added as a city-state in Gathering Storm, and the Diplomatic Victory screen has, among other "passed over" civ flags, the Moroccan flag. This seems to pretty solidly confirm that Morocco is not planned for VI. However, given how many other civs were replaced or refined with newcomers (Norway, Scythia, Khmer, Hungary, Phoenicia, Maori...to some extent Scotland and the Cree, and possibly Sumeria and Georgia), it seems more likely than not at this point that the devs had a "replacement" for Morocco in the works.

I don't think the devs would try to cram a third civ onto the Iberian peninsula alongside Spain and Portugal. But the Berbers have come up quite often in new civ discussions and form a larger "core" demographic that has lasted far longer than the Western Arabian Caliphates but also appeals to the highly developed African states of Algeria and Tunisia alongside Morocco and Libya. In short, the Berbers, or if the devs want a specific political entity, Numidia, represent the entirety of the Maghreb much better than Morocco did by itself, and in a way that makes the region feel more distinct from both Mali and Arabia. The Berbers also have a fairly strong female leader option in Diyha. It seems quite likely, particularly if we get a second season of DLC, that the Berbers are a lock for the next African civ.

Basically, although MoorTires means nothing, there is also reasonable hope that there will be a Berber civ representing "the Moors" so everyone is getting excited about it.

13. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

There..

Meluhhan, Haig and Revanchist like this.
  14. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Oh weird. So it seems like all military units might be given lifespans, which I presume is to add another layer of complication to warmongering and possibly further discourage domination victory as a default way to play?

The renown might just be a revision of the experience system? Just some wild guesses. I can't imagine either mechanic tying into something especially new or groundbreaking.

15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

IMHO the "lifespan" may related to the number of turns/attacks one unit can have, and "renown" may related to the number of kills.

16. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

It may also be possible that it was a scrapped feature planned for the apocalypse mode or something else. I am more curious about the feature Anton teased

acluewithout likes this.
  17. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Hawke9, Meluhhan, oduum and 2 others like this.
  18. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I've always believed that these were mod-related, and not real FX game choices... I guess we'll see

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  19. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

The literal translation of the title of the Chinese video source is "a sneak peek of Sid Meier's Civilization VI's content in HD! The first DLC will be launched in May 21st 2020" - which specifically promotes the Maya & Gran Colombia DLC; and the description of the trailer also directly mentions the name of the Maya & Gran Colombia DLC. The content of the trailer is also focused on Gran Colombia and Apocalypse mod.

Moreover, this video is being uploaded by the official account of the Chinese department of 2KGames: it's an official video, but for Chinese internet, as they cannot access Youtube. The other official video on Youtube, the New Frontier Pass developer update, has the same footage of comet strike as in the Chinese official video. So there should be nothing special in the Chinese version of the video, since both official videos has the same original gameplay footage.

Judging by those, I would assume the "lifespan" thingy as an unimplemented feature for Maya & Colombia & Apocalypse DLC.

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I could see where there was a possibility that the more renown a unit had maybe the more points you would get if you sacrifice the unit in an Appease the Gods competition.

Hawke9, Meluhhan and AsH2 like this.