[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

As of now, I'm of the mind that the remaining five are Portugal, Byzantium, Babylon, Vietnam, and a North American indigenous culture. With those guesses, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal and Byzantium released together this month. Maybe Native Americans in November, Vietnam in January, and Babylon as a capstone.

I just don't see Portugal and Byzantium together. They can both sell well as individual DLCs. Firaxis is more likely to fashion the double pack like the first NFP DLC; the venerable series regular (Maya) with a new/new-ish civ (Gran Colombia).

My prediction for the final set is
Byzantines/Assyria
Morocco (based on the Moortires codename)
Vietnam/K. Khan
Iroquois (I think they will play it safe after the Cree debacle)

And I expect they will save Portugal and Babylon for a later Pack.

Well I expected that since I read a gamerant article explaining why that was likely. Do we have indication of what the announcement will be? A general announcement for the September pack? First look videos?
First Looks will be later on a different day. I imagine the announcement will likely touch on the new game mode, new map, & possibly the new World Wonders. They might also mention some balance changes or bug fixes.

Speaking of new wonders I'm curious how those will be revealed - as part of the Monday video, as separate videos for each one like for Vanilla and R&F, or as one big video covering them all like GS.

First Looks will be later on a different day. I imagine the announcement will likely touch on the new game mode, new map, & possibly the new World Wonders. They might also mention some balance changes or bug fixes.

Speaking of new wonders I'm curious how those will be revealed - as part of the Monday video, as separate videos for each one like for Vanilla and R&F, or as one big video covering them all like GS.

Last pack, the video preview on the Monday went through the details of the game mode and various other changes, and only briefly mentioned to stay tuned for the looks at the actual leader. I expect this to be similar - they'll probably mention which civs, but we'll have to wait for the actual first looks later next week, and presumably all leading to an actual patch release on Sept 24.

I just don't see Portugal and Byzantium together. They can both sell well as individual DLCs. Firaxis is more likely to fashion the double pack like the first NFP DLC; the venerable series regular (Maya) with a new/new-ish civ (Gran Colombia).

Byzantines/Assyria
Vietnam/K. Khan

I wouldn't complain if is it, but I think unlikely in all NFP DLCs we have only one European Civ.

Or they just ignore them all together and let them be revealed by players themselves. I don't think there was any in-depth reveal of the last three NWs, we mostly just saw them on promo material and were guessing which is which.

Byzantines/Assyria
Vietnam/K. Khan

I wouldn't really mind this, even though I'm still skeptical that they will do a second season.
I still think codename Moortires could easily still refer to Portugal and Iroquois could technically be another NA Civ but I agree with the rest. If the November pack does turn out to be North African I can see it being something new instead of Morocco considering Fez was just introduced in GS.

Byzantines/Assyria
Vietnam/K. Khan

100% agree about Portugal and Byzantium not being together. Both of them are "heavy hitters" and can sell a pack just by themselves. It would be a waste to put two widely-demanded franchise staples in one pack.

That being said, I think Portugal will be in the next pack, along with a new civ. The intentional leak of the Venice city state confirms it for me. Lisbon could absolutely be transferred over to Venice. And since they are hinting Portugal, I think the reveal will come soon. I can't see them releasing two other civs, but then we still know Portugal is in the pipeline later on. It just seems to me that they showed the Venice CS so we can put two and two together and they're going to give us the final confirmation very soon.

Or they just ignore them all together and let them be revealed by players themselves. I don't think there was any in-depth reveal of the last three NWs, we mostly just saw them on promo material and were guessing which is which.
Those were Natural Wonders, though, and they've never had their own reveal videos. It was always 'hunt and seek' in the First Looks, Livestreams, and other videos/images leading up to the release, with most of the confirmations being dolled out gradually by the devs and ultimately in the patch notes. There was a whole thread about them leading up to GS.

The wonders in the upcoming DLC are World Wonders, which have always had a video reveal before release, either separately or together. I don't imagine FXS ignoring them as it's a selling point of the DLC. If they don't do a separate video of them (however many there are), I imagine the most likely place for them to be revealed is in Monday's video.

Speaking of which, anyone have a guess how many WWs there will actually be? My guess is at least two (announcement is plural), but no more than four. So I'm going to say three.

100% agree about Portugal and Byzantium not being together. Both of them are "heavy hitters" and can sell a pack just by themselves. It would be a waste to put two widely-demanded franchise staples in one pack.

That being said, I think Portugal will be in the next pack, along with a new civ. The intentional leak of the Venice city state confirms it for me. Lisbon could absolutely be transferred over to Venice. And since they are hinting Portugal, I think the reveal will come soon. I can't see them releasing two other civs, but then we still know Portugal is in the pipeline later on. It just seems to me that they showed the Venice CS so we can put two and two together and they're going to give us the final confirmation very soon.

I also think many of the other potential returning civs could sell DLC packs by themselves: Assyria, Babylon, Austria, Denmark, Siam, Morocco, Iroquois, etc. It just happens that I think only Assyria is the only civ beyond Portugal and Byzantium that I think stands any significant chance at returning, with Morocco or the Iroquois maybe being lucky if the devs are forced to reconsider other options in the region.

The only new civ I think would well by itself with certainty is Italy, and after Venice I think Italy probably isn't happening. But I also think that any new civ could be sold alone if it is counterbalanced by a highly desirable game mode, so there is still a good chance some on-the-fence concepts would be pushed through.

Byzantines/Assyria
Vietnam/K. Khan

I think Portugal will very likely be here- I think it's exploration focus perfectly fits the 'New Frontier' title. And Venice being the replacement for Lisbon I think makes sense. Babylon and Byzantines being in a later pack I think is more likely I would say.

Those were Natural Wonders, though, and they've never had their own reveal videos. It was always 'hunt and seek' in the First Looks, Livestreams, and other videos/images leading up to the release, with most of the confirmations being dolled out gradually by the devs and ultimately in the patch notes. There was a whole thread about them leading up to GS.

The wonders in the upcoming DLC are World Wonders, which have always had a video reveal before release, either separately or together. I don't imagine FXS ignoring them as it's a selling point of the DLC. If they don't do a separate video of them (however many there are), I imagine the most likely place for them to be revealed is in Monday's video.

Speaking of which, anyone have a guess how many WWs there will actually be? My guess is at least two (announcement is plural), but no more than four. So I'm going to say three.

Today I dreamed that we will have the Statue of Zeus and Notre Dame as wonders of the world.:rolleyes:

Gauls have ranged strike unique district that does not replace Encampment... It's Industrial Zone replacement

Last edited:
also looks like mines culture bomb in some way
upload_2020-9-14_9-37-59.png

The tool tip also gives them +1 culture from mines.

Top Bottom