[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Actually they said game modes will be "cherry on top" not a big mechanic. So I am not surprised. I still see the possibilities that this approach could be interesting. Even with reused mechanics. What comes to my mind:

1. Great Politicians/Philosophers mode. Adding a new great person the great politician/philosopher. Addressing the lack of late-game ideologies. GP earned from the Government district. Activating GP gives new powerful an empire-wide bonus with a downside like Dark Era Cards. Example Maximilian Robespierre: +1 gold from farms and +4 loyalty in all cities but -5% religion and decreased relations with civilizations with Monarchy and Theocracy (just an example concept)

2. Improvement luxuries mode. Addressing lack of corporations and financial win (a little bit) New crafted luxury resources can be put into slots in various buildings (using Great Works mechanic) New civil unit - craftsman which requires workshop. Craftsman has one charge and can produce crafted luxury. You can choose one from three crafted luxuries (similar like apostle). Luxuries to choose are random. Each luxury provides different bonuses. Example Pottery +2 food + 1 housing; Books +2 science +1 culture; Glassware +2 amenities - Jewelry +4 gold Crafted luxuries assigned to market building gives +2 gold instead of their bonus - so you can reduce the RNG effect and have a flat gold bonus instead

3. Diplomatic League mode: Improves Diplomatic victory (a little bit It needs real revamp). Using Spy mechanic and UI. You grain Diplomat after complete a Diplomatic quarter, diplomatic quarter buildings, discovering Diplomatic Service civic, and reach the time you reach level 3 alliance. You can sen diplomat for missions to AI with an established embassy. Diplomat missions like spy ones have a probability of success. Diplomats can be promoted like spies. Example of Diplomatic Missions - reduce grievances, improve a relationship, reduce loyalty pressure, use AI 1 vote in World Congress

Bonus (improved diplomatic victory) - Keep in mind this is a concept so it is, unpolished, unbalanced, and with provisional naming
1. Each WC Sessions has two phases: Phase 1: voting for the Security Council in the next WC (three Civs, number of Civs in Security Council depends on map size) Phase 2: voting on resolutions for current WC
2. Voting for Security Council: (1 Civilization and CS = 1 vote) CS votes like their sovereign. CS without sovereign abstains. Civilizations with a largest number of votes are included in the Security Council.
3. Choosing Resolutions: Each Civilization in Security Council chooses one resolution to be voted by all Civilizations in the next WC (without CS)
4. Voting on current Resolutions: (chosen on previous WC by members of the Security Council) Number of votes depends on a) number of Diplomats Civilization have 1 diplomat = 1 vote, b) Government: up from Tier 3 Governments +1 vote. c) Additional votes can be bought by Diplomatic Favor (1 extra vote = 500 Diplomatic Favor) and are added permanently to your vote pool. After buying a vote this way you start to collect Diplo Favor from the beginning unless you collect 500 again (or more. it may scale each next vote become more expensive). CS does not vote in this phase.
5. Victory points. If the resolution proposed by you (previously elected to the Security Council) pass you grain 2 Diplomatic Victory Points If you voted for a won resolution proposed by AI you grain 1 Diplomatic Victory Point
6. Diplomats. You will send diplomats to other Civs for two kinds of missions a) offensive mission (convince AI to vote for the Resolution you proposed) b) intelligence missions (gather the clues how Civilization will vote for the resolution proposed by AI) this is the way to hunt for VP if you are not in the Security Council.
7. Passive missions. To know how other Civilizations will vote in the next WC you use your diplomats to gather the clues in a passive mission. The clues are like "Civilization A will vote similar to Civilization C on 2. resolution". From gathered clues, you must figure out how the voting will look like in a logic minigame. The more clues you gather the easier you can solve a voting puzzle. The number of clues you earn depends on the number of diplomats, their experience, and... luck. But you can play around this RNG choosing a longer mission but with a higher probability of success, or a shorter mission with a lower probability of success. It is up to you how you manage time between WC.
8. AI earns 2 VP if is chosen for the Security Council. Ai does not earn VP for voting for the wining ressolution.
9. Only you may choose a resolution that takes away VP
10. VP for World Wonders, Emergencies, Aid requests, etc rest as they are
11. Conquering capital city and CS always takes away 2 VP. You do not lose VP if the conquered city is returned to their previous owner.

I’d like a mode where all uu are removed, and then the ‘design’ for them can be found in goody huts, but only once for each. Or some system that shuffles UU anyways, and makes it competitive to earn them.

I'm a little disappointed in the Modes so far.

I’m disappointed we’re four game modes in, and so far I’m not really wanting to play with any of them much.

There’s a lot of good stuff in NFP, and I like the content model generally. I also like the idea of game modes, eg twist on existing mechanics / optional game rules, and all the modes we’ve had so far have had good core ideas mechanically and thematically. Overall, NFP has been a winner if you ask me.

But, yeah, so far all the game modes have felt like near misses, for the reasons I’ve given. I don’t think they’d need much to hit the mark. But right now, none of them really do.

I hope FXS keep releasing content for Civ VI. If they do, I really hope they find a content model somewhere between NFP and a proper expansion. eg keep the current season pass model including game modes etc., but start or end with a “double sized” dlc or “mini-expansion” that has a bit more base game content, be it things like corporations and or ideology, or filling unit gaps, or whatever. I think that sort of approach would maybe get a better reaction from fans.

And I really, really hope that FXS revisit the existing game modes. Seriously, it wouldn’t take much to make the existing game modes sing.

For the alternate economy mode, something I would love to see back (it's minor but it always bugged me) is the ability for the receiver of a trade route to gain something out of it, like in Civ V. I loved in Civ V the mini game of making your cities the most attractive possible for foreigner so that they would be encouraged to send trade routes to them and make you passively gain gold.

For alternate economy I have been thinking about what they could do within existing systems. I believe it will have to be like the other modes where it builds upon existing systems. Some thoughts:
  1. Make luxury ressources like strategic ressources (extract a number each turn) and have something to spend it on.
  2. Make corporations like religion or maybe even replacing them. Could be combined with 1. This would replace the Faith economy, making it truly an alternate economy.
I'm looking forward to learning more in the future.

Make luxury ressources like strategic ressources (extract a number each turn) and have something to spend it
This could work with my idea
. Improvement luxuries mode. Addressing lack of corporations and financial win (a little bit) New crafted luxury resources can be put into slots in various buildings (using Great Works mechanic) New civil unit - craftsman which requires workshop. Craftsman has one charge and can produce crafted luxury. You can choose one from three crafted luxuries (similar like apostle). Luxuries to choose are random. Each luxury provides different bonuses. Example Pottery +2 food + 1 housing; Books +2 science +1 culture; Glassware +2 amenities - Jewelry +4 gold Crafted luxuries assigned to market building gives +2 gold instead of their bonus - so you can reduce the RNG effect and have a flat gold bonus instead
Stacked luxury resources could be needed to create crafted luxury resource or act like Great People Point for craftsman unit.

For alternate economy I have been thinking about what they could do within existing systems. I believe it will have to be like the other modes where it builds upon existing systems. Some thoughts:
  1. Make luxury ressources like strategic ressources (extract a number each turn) and have something to spend it on.
  2. Make corporations like religion or maybe even replacing them. Could be combined with 1. This would replace the Faith economy, making it truly an alternate economy.
I still prefer "make currency like religion" for an alternative economy mode (to win by forcing the rest of civs to adopt player's currency).

I'm looking forward to learning more in the future.
So basically a game mode that can replace religious victory with an economic victory? I know a lot of people would be happy about that.

I still prefer "make currency like religion" for an alternative economy mode (to win by forcing the rest of civs to adopt player's currency).

Haha! I would prefer a ‘make religion like currency’ where its spread by trade routes, holy site pressure, and projects - no more holy unit spam.

Haha! I would prefer a ‘make religion like currency’ where its spread by trade routes, holy site pressure, and projects - no more holy unit spam.

I've described my expectations about it a month ago:

an "alternate economy" game mode. Maybe we could get an optional victory type - economic or financial one? There is in vanilla a suitable game mechanics already - religion mechanics which could be used almost directly: currency instead of religion; marks like $ instead of religious symbols; monetary policies instead of beliefs; spreading by cities with purple districts instead of cities with HS; dealers/brokers/counterfeiters instead of missionaries/apostles/gurus etc. Whoever spreads their currency to all civs wins. And Pack#5 comes with Kublai. It's worth noting he issued paper money known as Jiaochao that was known then for Europeans thanks to Marco Polo.

Given we already have religion and loayalty for what used to be Culture-tied mechanic, plus culture-related Tourism, I have been long before thinking about generally making all yields extert some pressure. I'd bind it to sort of "Loayalty" aspect of city, where conquering the city brings harsh penalites as they revolt, though they would decrease with how many things you've changed to your culture.

So Food Pressure would dictate Ethnicity, Production = Architecture, Gold = Currency, Science = Writing System/Alphabet/Language, Culture = Fashion/Instruments/Artstyle/Authority Figure Culture/Cuisine, Faith = Pantheon/Mythological Origins or Religion itself.

So say Arabs conquer some French city. It revolts harshly against its occupants that are so alien to them. But If that city was surrounded by high-growing arabian cities, by migration, soon majority of the city's population will too be arabs and that decreases the penalties after conquest, as they don't consider you that much of an alien. Affect their culture so they eat more traditionally arabian food, because it's so spoken about, have your esteemed scientists force their scholars to learn their language to read their works, convert them to your religion. And eventually the city will hardly revolt as it will no longer consider itself french.

And Pack#5 comes with Kublai. It's worth noting he issued paper money known as Jiaochao that was known then for Europeans thanks to Marco Polo.

It is also worth noting that most of the Imperial Chinese paper money/banknotes were issued without taking gold/silver reserves into consideration and often resulted in massive inflation - and this kind of inflation happened less than 50 years after Kublai. Inflation can be a theme of "alternate economy" as well.

It is also worth noting that most of the Imperial Chinese paper money/banknotes were issued without taking gold/silver reserves into consideration and often resulted in massive inflation - and this kind of inflation happened less than 50 years after Kublai. Inflation can be a theme of "alternate economy" as well.

Inflation would be interesting, but I don't see what existing system it would use. It would seem to require all new backend tech, which seems to be out of the scope of NFP.

Hey guys, it’s been a long time since I’ve played Civ 6 and I have a question about the New Frontier Pass. If I haven’t bought it, will I still be able to have the features that are introduced in the updates that have been coming out? Or will I just not be able to use the new civs?

Hopefully I’m making sense.

Hey guys, it’s been a long time since I’ve played Civ 6 and I have a question about the New Frontier Pass. If I haven’t bought it, will I still be able to have the features that are introduced in the updates that have been coming out? Or will I just not be able to use the new civs?

Most of the features are locked to NFP. Some also require other expansions. But the Tech/Civic Shuffle Mode is available to all players.

You will be able to get any of the free updates, but none of the features in the civ packs (bar the balance tweaks that go with them)

You will be able to get any of the free updates, but none of the features in the civ packs (bar the balance tweaks that go with them)

Ok that’s good to know about the free updates. Is there a list that shows what features are added with the Civ packs?

Top Bottom