1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Huh, that is an Iliad reference. My first thought was actually "Of Man's First Disobedience, and the Fruit/Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal tast/Brought Death into the World, and all our woe.../Sing Heav'nly Muse, that on the secret top/of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire/That Shepherd..." Of course, Milton was very deliberately invoking the classical model in his invocation to the Muse, while at the same time claiming superiority: "I thence/Invoke thy aid to my adventurous Song,/That with no middle flight intends to soar/Above th' Aonian Mount, while it pursues/Things unattempted yet in prose or rhime." (That Milton and Donne are not Great Writers is an absolute crime.)

2. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

All good! I don't know how difficult it is to edit Twitter posts (hardly use it myself) but I should of known from previous months what time it would be; although I've lost all track of time this month in the 2nd English lockdown; the Babylon DLC is the only thing I've been anticipating for all month! (Mostly for the City States and Great People to spruce up standard games).

Huge fan of your work Andrew! I wish I were lucky to have a job like yours!

Andrew Johnson [FXS] likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You can't edit Twitter tweets. You have to tweet again with the correct information.

4. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

Love the Duck Tales reference.

5. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Poppy → Opium → Opium War → Colonialism in China → Macau is one of the colonial settlement in China → Portugal

It's all coming together (just nevermind that Macau was settled in 1557, three centuries before the Opium War).:mischief:

6. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

Alternate reading:
    Poppy -> Father -> Uncle -> Scrooge McDuck -> Duck Tales

7. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

Portugal is becoming the new Georgia of memes I see

Tanos: I used the Hero... To destroy the Hero...

https://m.se-ed.com/Detail/The-Peac...ory-of-Thailand-s-Royal-Project/9789744034571
    Though it's such easy Google search and I find Thailand as civ unlikely, so it's probably just coincidence.

The order makes it unlikely, but it somehow fits more for me that this refers to Kublai and Vietnam Pack.

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I feel like some people will curse the memers for not meming second Native American Civ into existence instead of Portugal :mischief:

9. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

I'm assuming this is a reference to the 1981 movie of the same name. I remember watching that film several years back.

10. Zaarin

Or the 2010 remake that I only know exists because it had Alexander Siddig in it apparently. :p

SirMediocrity likes this.
  11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I think the obvious clue is both Peach and Poppy start with the letter P.
    You know what else starts with the letter P? Powhatan. :mischief:

12. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

And also Portugal :mischief:

13. Zaarin

In Yucatec Maya, which, as we all know, is the native language of all Firaxis employees, Portugal starts with an L, proving that Powhatan is the correct interpretation. :mischief:

Hawke9, Banazir864, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  14. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

There's always possibility that Yucatec Maya words for poppy and peaches start with L then :mischief:

Kjimmet, Meluhhan and Zaarin like this.
  15. Zaarin

I can't find them with a quick search, but I would presume they're borrowed from Spanish--in which case they begin with A and D respectively. :p

Kimiimaro likes this.
  16. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

I really hoped for Prague (or anything Czech/Bohemian) or Martin instead of Wolin. We already have Poland in game, really seems unnecesary when some countries can only hope for CS to get some representation. Otherwise glad they kept it somewhat spread. Not much from America, hopefully that means Native American tribe for final Pack.

Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  17. Zaarin

My thoughts as well. Vilnius is already in the game giving double representation to Lithuania; the addition of a Polish city-state on top of Poland seems completely gratuitous.

Jeppetto likes this.
  18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

If Wolin is militaristic, I'd myself suggest Tábor rather than Prague for Bohemian representation here. Prague would be better off as a cultural CS. Tábor, on the other hand, was the centre of the Hussite movement, and methinks the movement which managed to bash several crusades would make a more than decent justification for a militaristic CS :mischief:

Meluhhan, Zaarin and Jeppetto like this.
  19. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Prince

You can still get your Tábor If you have some Deer or Truffles near your city :mischief:

Kimiimaro likes this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If we need another cultural city-state in Europe we might as well get Vienna, if we aren't getting Austria. :p