1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization VI or Civilization V with Vox Populi EUI

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Authopius, Aug 7, 2018.

?

Civilization VI or Civilization V with Vox Populi EUI

1. Civilization V with Vox Populi EUI

55 vote(s)
    98.2%
  2. Civilization VI Vanilla

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

Have you played FreeCiv? How would you compare it to Civ II?

2. Patine

Patine Warlord

FreeCiv is just a hassle and a headache-and-a-half to design custom scenarios and mods for by nature. And one of the best parts about Civ2 in my opinion is the ease of making custom scenarios and mods. You don't need to be a programmer or a graphics artist - it uses a simple text file-based macro-language and bitmap files to edit these things. Also, I detested FreeCiv's UI immensely when I tried it briefly.

3. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

And aside from making custom and mods? I meant gameplay comparison. UI may seem immensely at first, when you are used to different UI. It may not be a case for me, because I haven't played Civ II and only have played FreeCiv briefly (like half an hour).

4. Questdog

Questdog Chieftain

That may be true, but how would I know it without manually keeping track of everything? All I know is according to the city screen, it does not matter much. That is another peeve of mine with VP: you never really know exactly what your rates of yields are per turn.

5. Questdog

Questdog Chieftain

Hexes did not come until Civ V. All the other Civs before used squares. Older strategy games (and RPGs too) tended to get into more detail in their mechanics than newer games. Graphics and UI have evolved much for the better, but gameplay has tended to head for the lowest denominator trying to reach a wider audience.

6. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Oh my! You are right. Civ III was about borders and unique resources.

vyyt likes this.
  7. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

8. cammcken

cammcken Chieftain

If you're interested, Civ 4's Caveman to Cosmos mod is still going, slow but steady. It's quite a mess in terms of balance, but the modders there have introduced some great concepts, including stealth and detection values for all units; ranking units by quality, quantity, and size, with merging and splitting; and last I heard the lead modder was thinking up a mechanism for a "nomadic era" without permanent cities.

Some really old games are clunky, but a major criticism I have for the newer UI's is how they seemed to be designed for casual players, with huge buttons directing you what do the next and not a lot of information available or easily organized.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  9. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

What games do you have in mind? I haven't notice that trend.

10. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Civ 5... Civ 6... :rolleyes:

cammcken likes this.
  11. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

I haven't played Civ 6, but I disagree with Civ 5 not having "a lot of information available or easily organized."
    Also Stellaris, StarCraft 2 and XCOM have fine UI. I haven't played other modern strategy games.

12. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Seriously? Are we talking about the same vanilla civ 5 UI? Did you look up and to the right? Civ 5 is horrible to play without EUI, and wonderful to play with it.

Stellaris UI is good. Endless Space 2 UI is teaching all of them how to do it.

13. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

Honestly, I haven't played Civ 5 without EUI for years (before Vox Populi). I remember that top bar was changed and building queue for much better clarity and usefulness, but I don't recall the rest of the changes.

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

That's what I imagined, you forgot how terrible the original UI is. After a few years of EUI, it's easy to assume that "it always has been like this".

CppMaster likes this.
  15. glider1

glider1 Chieftain

Hi Aristos great to see you around the traps again. As a person that plays both VP and Civ6 and someone who's opinion I trust -> what do you think of Civ6 for a VP player?
    • Can you set up a civ6 game so that it is comparable to VP in depth of game play against the AI for an experience VP player?
    • What I mean is that if civ6 deity is a good challenge for an experienced VP player, that is not such a bad thing.
    • Does the Civ6 naval AI and air combat AI's work or are they unfinished?
    • Have they implemented the civ6 AI so that it can use all the same game mechanics the human can?
    Thanks mate!

16. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

@glider1 : I am about to start a new civ 5 game, so that should answer all your possible questions... :lol:

Anyways... there is some depth in all the new mechanics in Six, but hard to say if it will be deep enough for a VP vet. I have never lost a civ 6 Deity game (no save scumming, although Victoria here does not like it when I state that). Naval AI is a little better now, tries to use its navy, but Air AI is abysmal. On paper, the AI seems to use all mechanics, but in reality it uses them horribly. My meta is super spies. You can solve ANY situation with the correct use of spies; ANY. You may struggle in the beginning due to starting conditions, you may lose 50% of your initial empire in war (I did once), and still end up winning with super spies. That by itself renders the game SOLVED, which is bad. Yes, you may have fun in the early stages when all seems unresolved, but then you advance and remember that your super spies will win the game for you... and the fun dwindles.

vyyt and glider1 like this.
  17. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

I recommend "Realism Invictus" for Civ4 and "Religion and Revolution" for Civ4Col. There is still active MOD development though slow on both. For non-civ based old school, "The Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered".

18. Patine

Patine Warlord

Thumbs down to "Bard's Tale." "Might & Magic" (at least VI onward), "Ultima" (except VIII and IX), "Baldur's Gate" I and II and "Icewind Dale" I and II for the win!

19. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

What specifically about bard's tale doesn't appeal to you? I mean the classics of course.

20. Patine

Patine Warlord

It seemed more repetitive and tedious than the ones I listed in my post. Kind of like "Pool of Radiance" "Temple of Apshai," and "Akalebeth" were (though, admittedly, not as bad "Akalabeth" - but it too is a good example of repetitive and tedious).