1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Do we know when that is?

Of course you're right that they won't necessarily reveal both at the same time, would make sense for building hype.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  2. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Yeah, that's right, there's an Arabia in civilization 6 since vanilla already. Who knows what other middle eastern civilization will be added.

Despite having issues with some of its neighbors, Qatar, is an ally of the US and Yemen has the support of the US. Oman also has a good economy along with Yemen, yes.

3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Please do not discuss current events or politics in the game threads. Back to topic.

Meluhhan likes this.
  4. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Oman and Yemen would be infinitely better economic civ options from the middle east than the UAE or Qatar in general, simply bcs they have a history of more than 40 years and were great traders, not just oil countries

Moderator Action: Edited to remove PDMA. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
    8housesofelixir likes this.
  5. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Yes Oman would make more sense than UAE certainly.

6. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

yeah, it would.

I would love to see Oman, but Yemen is even better imo bcs you get Arwa al-Sulayhi, queen of Yemen. She was so powerful and successful, she’s one of two queens in the Islamic prayer, has a mosque named after her, and is considered one of the national heroes of Yemen. She was a big patron of architecture, esp. gardens, and yemen was a big trading civ in its own right

7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I would assume information might come at the middle of the month and maybe the patch drops in late August like the June one.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

That's true but a super-modern city state has its merits for variety purposes

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Like Dubai being a trade city-state.
    Maybe it's suzerain bonus could be strategic resources you own yield extra gold and that gold grants tourism at flight. :dunno:

10. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Anything that is a "city state" is probably only ever going to be a city-state. Even Venice was at least something of an empire with all the territory it grabbed in the Adriatic and Aegean seas.

I'm betting it's Oman or bust for the Arabian peninsula. It's the only civ from the region that is fairly popular/subscribed to in the V civ mods. It also spanned and influenced a pretty huge geographic region along the Swahili and Somali coastlines, so it kind of works as a "macro-empire" encompassing territory from the Kilwa and Ajuran sultanates in the same way other map-gap civs serve as "umbrellas" for surrounding smaller kingdoms/states (particularly Norway, Germany, Poland, Georgia, Hungary, Sweden, Gran Colombia, and Rome/Arabia/Macedon/Persia/Ottomans to some unknown extent, and Spain until Portugal is added). Also it also allows the devs to add something feeling vaguely like a Moroccan successor without needing a barbary corsair, while also leaving enough design space for a Berber civ. Also, the Omani Empire's territories in the Arabian peninsula conveniently dovetail geographically with the Ayyubids under Saladin.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  11. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

agreed
    I’ve mentioned it before, but besides Dubai, Baikonur and Baku are more modern city states I’d like to see. And Hong Kong and Singapore are modern city states already in the game.
    This is likely true, but Queen Arwa remains a more ‘big personality’ leader than any potential Omani choice, while Yemen leaves open the possibility for Swahili, which Oman doesn’t

12. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Well, there is Tippu Tip...jk.

Actually, in all seriousness, Said bin Sultan seems like he has some potential. And Morocco was led by Ahmad Al-Munsur in V who is just about as famous. The reality is neither the Western Caliphates nor Oman, for all of their regional influence, had a powerhouse leader, so like Australia or Canada the devs would probably just fudge the leader and hope the rest of the civ's design sells the idea.

While the idea of both Yemen and the Swahili is nice, I think the most we can hope for at this point along the Arabian Sea is a single civ, if any. Also, Yemen was never really imperialistic or expansionist, so until I see smaller kingdoms that unequivocally were never empires (even moreso than Kongo, Georgia, Hungary, or Scotland) elevated to civ status I'm generally going to assume that the developers are not considering kingdoms which don't at minimum have a reputation for stealing or controlling (or otherwise exploring and settling) neighboring territory inline with a "4X" culture. I would consider Yemen even less likely than the Swahili if we are going by how often they come up in fan discussion, and I don't see much reason to include the Swahili at all under VI's design trends when Oman just casts a wider net and has more infrastructure to create a design out of. The only real selling point Yemen has over Oman is a larger population, but I'm not sure to what extent that counts where there was never anything imperialist about them and Oman is conveniently next door.

Would Arwa be cool? Absolutely. I just don't see her or Yemen translating into an "empire", while there are still several women in the Islamic sphere that could quite comfortably lead "empires" like Diyha, Zenobia, Nur Jahan, even Shammuramat. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the devs would rather give Arabia a Makeda leader than expend the resources to develop a full Yemen civ. :/

13. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Shajar al-Durr as alt for Arabia, anyone?
    well, teeechnically, Yemen was categorized as an empire at the time and has had expansionary phases (think united Sana’a and Aden)

And the issue there is Zenobia, Semiramis and Dihya are all not muslims even if they’re in what is now the Islamic world.

And Nur Jahan is muslim, but in the Hindu Indosphere.

Oman did have expansionary phases in a less discreet sense, but if we were to have Swahili and Yemen rather than Oman, one could explore the actual indigenous cultures of those regions instead of using just one (Oman) to kinda being an overarching stand in for multiple more interesting civs. The Swahili, or a specific city state like Kilwa, Mombasa, Zanzibar, or Mogadishu, would explore the actual region’s language, culture and deep indigenous history.

just read up on him. Totally agree. He’d be a great choice for a leader.

14. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

I never pictured historians not in an armchair to be honest. I don't know where else would they go. Archaeologists, on the other hand...

15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Total guess, but I'll predict first looks on September 17 and 22, livestream September 23, and release on September 24.

They could drag it out with first looks on the 8th and 15th, but I think the 24th is clearly the most likely release date.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

I kind of feel like Arabia in a way is supposed to represent all of the Arabian peninsula and the surrounding areas influenced by Islam. That being said Oman did as you mention conquered the Swahili coast but then there's the problem of also removing not only Muscat as a city-state but probably Zanzibar too. Considering Zanzibar is related to an achievement I'm not sure it's going to happen.

And as mentioned above I would rather just have the actual Swahili or another East African civ over Oman who just happened to expand into Africa. But at this point I think Africa just really needs a pre-Islamic Berber civ right now.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  17. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

I'm here for making her the new Trung Sisters/Vietnam regarding fan requests

18. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

let’s do it

19. zhugejingqi

zhugejingqi Chieftain

I have a question: in the remaining civilizations, can they design characters that are refreshing?I have to say that Maya's design disappointed me. On the one hand, this civilization is not good at technological victories in the game, on the other hand, it has no way to satisfy those who like to play tall.

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

The Maya have gotten mixed reviews, which I can understand but, I don't hate it the implementation.

I actually find the playstyle kind of refreshing though because it's new and out of the box. They drastically change the way you play like many of the GS civs such you don't need to settle near rivers or coast, or you don't have to plop down a campus next to mountain, and also no expand as much as possible unlike almost every other civ in the game.

Considering they outright designed the Maya as the tall civ I'm pretty sure they aren't going to do another one similarly. One more point for Assyria making the cut. :mischief: