1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I think Firaxis would include a fairer Celtic representation at some point, I just was expeting that the Gauls would happen in a second round of passes, not this one.

That said, I find the Gauls much more interesting to represent the Celts than Scotland. I just find Scotland's design quite boring with those golf courses and those amenities (I'm not too sure if Scotland makes sense as a "happy civ"). If the Scots got some kind of castle/fortification as a unique improvement it would make them a lot more interesting, imo. After all, Scottish castles are quite symbolic and unique things.

679x, pokiehl and Zaarin like this.
  2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If Scotland wasn't in I would agree. But to have a medieval Scotland leader with a medieval Irish civ to me would seem too similar. That's why I think an Iron Age Celtic civ would be the next possible option and Gaul was the obvious choice.

I have both Scottish and Irish in me along with English, French, and German so I am fine either way. :p

I agree with this, though I'm still skeptical of a second round.

I'm used to Scotland at this point. I'll even take the Highlander unit being based off of the British Regiment now that it's not the Celtic civ, or only one for that matter. I'm not sure what to call Scotland anymore except the "happy meme civ" that can be a foil to England, which I don't mind. :lol:

Xandinho likes this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I would have been happy with either. I'd love a cultural/religious Medieval Ireland in Civ7 at any rate.

Txomin, 679x, bbbt and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I thought this thread was just generally new leaders/civs we wanted, not just for NFP.

Meluhhan likes this.
  5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

I'm a little late to this discussion, but me and my Population Geography PhD-holding sister would agree with this. Except for technological changes, a good city-site is a good city site for almost everyone. Many of the multiplly or progressively-named cities in fact, are already in the game:

Athens - a wonderfully defensible hill that dominates the largest agricultural area in Greece: there was a settlement on top of the Acropolis named Athens for at least 1500 years before the Greeks even arrived in the area!
    Babylon, Ctesophon, Seleucis, Baghdad - were and are all essentially at the narrowest point of land between the Tigris and Euphrates, so as to make use of both rivers for irrigation and transportation.

Batu Sarai, Tsaritsyn, Stalingrad, Volgograd - all the same settlement/city: again, at the place where the Volga and Don Rivers come closest together, so with a little portage you can float from here to Moscow, Constantinople or the Silk Road cities lining the Caspian Sea.

And, a host of cities all over Gaul/France with Gaulic/Roman/French names, because a good site at a major river crossing or where a river reaches the coast is always a useful place to settle.

Which, by the way, is why I frequently rename cities when I play, and I expect to keep on doing so: I can't wait to play Gaul and start renaming my cities to their French equivalents as I enter the medieval Era . . .

Haig, Zaarin, Thenewwwguy and 4 others like this.
  6. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

One small addition to the human geography of Athens: Attica, the region around the defensible hill, has one of the biggest sliver deposits in the Mediterranean. Myceneans have already been digging out silvers before the Late Bronze Age collapse, probably another reason why they chose to settle that little hill.

Boris Gudenuf likes this.
  7. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

Don't know if you're serious or not, but it has been discussed before and this kind of "dual leader" is unlikely. Eleanor has been queen of France then queen of England. Same for Kubilai Khan and China/Mongolia. A leader that could lead several civilizations because on conquered the other would be insensitive and the door open for every abuse.

Better stick to consecutive leaders or to truly conjoint leaders (Austria-Hungary would be the limit).

8. 679x

679x Warlord

I'm 97% sure he was joking.

Could someone explain the means of which Kublai Khan obtained power in China? Google says he did so through conquering, so wouldn't it also be a bit insensitive if he is an alternate leader of the China civ?

Meluhhan likes this.
  9. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm sure he was joking about George III. Victoria already has the redcoat UU though (dis) loyalty is an expansion mechanic that fits the expansion requirement. :mischief:

Well considering he started the Yuan Dynasty it sounds like it was a legit takeover of power, according to the whole Mandate of Heaven philosophy and official Chinese history. Whether it is controversial today I'm not so sure.

10. Birch617

Birch617 Chieftain

What would you guys think of like a "Reverse frontier" pack, with civs that are connected to the ones we got but its like is opposite idk, like first pack is Muisca and Mexico, the second is Semien/Beta Israel(not sure bout this one idk) and the third is like Bulgaria and (i don't know who i would put here, if another Celtic civ like Iceni or a Roman related civ like Palmyra, i guees) and knowing that Vietnam is coming on January, so maybe Champa

Haig likes this.
  11. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

Also he heavily embraced Chinese culture IIRC. Victoria never dipped even a toe in Indian culture, while Kubilai at least became more Chinese (not unlike Ptolemaic Egypt is more hellenic than truly egyptian). But I'm not historian and maybe I'm doing huuuuge and gross and insensitive approximation :p

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  12. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Volga Bulgarians ?

13. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Warlord

The Volga Bulgars are cool but they're too obscure to be a serious contender as a civilization IMO.

14. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Warlord

Huzzah! (I'm so sorry about the woad Zaarin) :lol:

sweetbrown89, Jkchart, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  15. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Well it is tagged [NFP].

Umm, why? Wouldn't Bulgaria in the Balkans make a lot more sense?

Well calling it a 'legit takeover' is nonsense I would say (violently conquering a place is always going to be followed up by attempting to legitimise your hold on power), however clearly he did a good job of 'legitimising' his rule of China by declaring himself an emperor of China and establishing a new Imperial dynasty and etc. And he moved his capital to China, with Mongol homelands simply being a minor part of his empire. So I think it's fair to say that latterly he was primarily a ruler of China. It's a different situation to if Mongolia simply conquered China and then subjugated it while still ruling from Mongol homelands.

A comparable situation is William the Conqueror as an alternate leader for England and Normandy (not an actual civ ofc), no one would question him leading England as well because that was the greater part of his domain.

Caprikel and 8housesofelixir like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

I meant legit as in the view of historians which it seems we both agree on.

SMcM likes this.
  17. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Regarding the 'Belgae are Germans' thing, reading up on it a bit it says Caesar referred to them as Germanic, but that there are probably errors with the ways Romans classified 'barbarians'. Apparently many modern scholars believe that the Belgae were a Celtic-speaking group. So I'm nor sure Ambiorix as leader is as much of a disservice to Celtic representation as has been made out here.

18. Mediocrity

Mediocrity Warlord

I'm pretty sure they mainly chose Ambiorix in order to represent Belgium to a small degree.

19. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yeah, it’s not too much of a stretch. The principal political and cultural grouping was that of the tribe. There was considerable cultural interchange (and migration) between the peoples of Gaul, Britannia, Belgica and Germania, so the boundaries are much more blurred than these (Roman) groupings suggest. There is some evidence that the Eburones spoke Gaulish, particularly in the name Ambiorix itself.

It’s just interesting that they picked someone away from the Gaulish heartlands, when Vercingetorix could have had exactly the same abilities.

8housesofelixir and Thenewwwguy like this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Silver, Gold, Lead and Copper were the first four metals worked, dating back to long before the nominal start of Civ games in 4000 BCE, because all of them can be melted in a camp fire - no 'extra' technology required.

And the Laurium silver mines in southern Attic have also been worked since before Greeks arrived in Greece, but they were also some of the most dangerous mines in the ancient/classical world, because they are actually not silver-bearing ores, but lead ore with a high silver content. Washing the ore to remove the silver also exposed the miners to massive amounts of lead, so that, according to records from classical Athens the average life expectancy of a mine-working slave was about 5 years.

8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.