[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

the other (fringe) possibility would be making the Janissary the Ottoman UU, attaching the Corsair to Suleiman, and then giving Morocco/Berbers a non Corsair UU, and then making the Corsair the Morocco/Berber LUU

this would be really interesting bcs it’s unprecedented, but each civ would have a real unique unit, with a shared extra unique unit since it has importance for both civs
I doubt that rework is necessary going to happen however I agree it would have made more sense to make the Janissary the Ottoman UU in the first place, while attaching the Corsair to Suleiman. Of course his unique governor would have been Hayreddin for that to happen, instead of Ibrahim probably.

If we get a shared unique unit though I vote for the huszar with Austria and Hungary. :mischief:

I doubt that rework is necessary going to happen however I agree it would have made more sense to make the Janissary the Ottoman UU in the first place, while attaching the Corsair to Suleiman. Of course his unique governor would have been Hayreddin for that to happen, instead of Ibrahim probably.

If we get a shared unique unit though I vote for the huszar with Austria and Hungary. :mischief:
Speaking of something that fits well with Austria and Hungary, it would be interesting to have Austria added to the game, and then have Franz lead Austria-Hungary as a Dual leader for Austria and Hungary, which would allow us to have Austria-Hungary without needing another Civ. I know this will likely never happen, but I'm fond of the idea of having these "dual" nations existing through dual leaders.
I'd also love to see the Franks represented in a dual leader for France and Germany, and of course so that we can finally have Charlemagne as a leader.

We already have that with Hungary and Poland though. :mischief:

Speaking of something that fits well with Austria and Hungary, it would be interesting to have Austria added to the game, and then have Franz lead Austria-Hungary as a Dual leader for Austria and Hungary, which would allow us to have Austria-Hungary without needing another Civ. I know this will likely never happen, but I'm fond of the idea of having these "dual" nations existing through dual leaders.
I'd also love to see the Franks represented in a dual leader for France and Germany, and of course so that we can finally have Charlemagne as a leader.

I'm preferring this method where the dual leaders led different civs separately at different periods in their lifetime, to keep the civ distinctions a lot cleaner and generally limit inclusions to the extremely rare examples of rulers who were separate sovereigns twice (with Kublai barely qualifying given his deliberate attempts at sinicization and ultimate acceptance as a Chinese dynasty separate from the Mongolian empire which generally disintegrated under his rule).

Margaret I could be one of the few remaining examples of this, where she was queen consort of Norway (and Sweden) from 1363 - 1364 (ala Eleanor), queen regent of Denmark from 1375 - 1387 (ala CdM), and then queen regnant of both Denmark and Norway from 1387 - 1412. She technically ruled each individually in a similar capacity to other notable queens who have been leaders, and is remembered as a national figurehead in both countries.

As opposed to many monarchs who held multiple crowns as a matter of marriage or inheritance, but only as vassal kingdoms who never really raised them up as their own leaders. I really hesitate to just throw any double crown holding monarch though, because they often aren't really representing both countries equally.

And in the case of Charlemagne, France and Germany were never actually distinguishable at the time of his reign (although they both evolved out of actual Francia subdivisions so...shrug? Maybe?). And that's completely ignoring the fact that the title King of Italy covering Lombardy also existed, and Rome was his secondary capital.

Last edited:
We already have that with Hungary and Poland though. :mischief:

I'm preferring this method where the dual leaders led different civs separately at different periods in their lifetime, to keep the civ distinctions a lot cleaner and generally limit inclusions to the extremely rare examples of rulers who were separate sovereigns twice (with Kublai barely qualifying given his deliberate attempts at sinicization and ultimate acceptance as a Chinese dynasty separate from the Mongolian empire which generally disintegrated under his rule).

Margaret I could be one of the few remaining examples of this, where she was queen consort of Norway (and Sweden) from 1363 - 1364 (ala Eleanor), queen regent of Denmark from 1375 - 1387 (ala CdM), and then queen regnant of both Denmark and Norway from 1387 - 1412. She technically ruled each individually in a similar capacity to other notable queens who have been leaders, and is remembered as a national figurehead in both countries. As opposed to many monarchs who held multiple crowns as a matter of marriage or inheritance, but only as vassal kingdoms who never really raised them up as their own leaders.

I really hesitate to just throw any double crown holding monarch though, because they often aren't really representing both countries equally. And in the case of Charlemagne, France and Germany were never actually distinguishable at the time of his reign (although they both evolved out of actual Francia subdivisions so...shrug? Maybe?).
France and Germany evolving out of Francia is what gives me hope that this idea might be plausible. I'd imagine a figure like Charlemagne would be popular among both the French and Germans as someone to lead their nation, so I doubt there would be any controversy with that kind of inclusion.

France and Germany evolving out of Francia is what gives me hope that this idea might be plausible. I'd imagine a figure like Charlemagne would be popular among both the French and Germans as someone to lead their nation, so I doubt there would be any controversy with that kind of inclusion.

You're not wrong, but Charlemagne does represent a different sort of beast than Eleanor or Kublai, and that is complicated by the fact that he actually did hold two titles and had two capitals, one in Aachen for Francia, and one in Rome for Lombardy. But that is counterbalanced by the obvious fact that he is far more associated with the Franks and Francia than he is now with Italy.

It might still work as a different sort of dual leader, comparable to say choosing Theoderic to lead Spain and Italy even though neither were identifiable as such under his reign, but I think it's pretty reasonable to say that implementing Charlemagne wouldn't be as clean and elegant as Eleanor or Kublai.

Guys remember that since Trung Trac is probably now checked, our next target is Queen Arwa

If we don't get Oman, which seems far more likely.

Also, I'm still too busy pushing for Dihya, Nanyehi, and several alternate leaders (Nur Jahan for India, Cixi/Zetian for China, Olga for Russia, Hatshepsut for Egypt).

I'd be happy with just an Arwa Mosque to show off Yemeni architecture. I don't really need a Yemen civ when we still have no civ representing the Oman or the Swahili coast.

Guys remember that since Trung Trac is probably now checked, our next target is Queen Arwa
i don’t like the idea of Trung Trac but Arwa al-Sulyahi would be an amazing leader choice.

i don’t like the idea of Trung Trac but Arwa al-Sulyahi would be an amazing leader choice.
I'd be happy with either (I assume Genya means Trung Trac likely won't happen?), because I'd love to see more female leaders. A female leader for an Islamic, MIddle-Eastern Civ would also just be amazing.

Is Zenobia a possibility? It may be, though, that with the Byzantines (and with Alexander, Cyrus et al) that Firaxis may want to move away from Mediterranean Civs for the rest of the releases.

Culturally, Austria was more prominent than Hungary, but we can safely assume that Austria-Hungary was really two equal kingdom led by one monarch wearing different crowns depending on the time of the day. Having a dual leader for Austria and Hungary would be the last stretch I would be OK with as dual leader (because dual leaders are so tricky to have).

I treated the two Catherine's as different since their abilities were different.

Ah, I see. With that in mind I suppose France is basically second only to Greece in terms of being well represented. But the funny thing is that's without the game even having any of the most famous French leaders (e.g. Civ IV's offering of Louis XIV, Napoleon and De Gaulle).

Well if they added Yemen that would be cool, but I wouldn't like to see her as an alternate leader for Arabia- I think Yemen being it's own thing would be much better.

I'd be happy with either (I assume Genya means Trung Trac likely won't happen?), because I'd love to see more female leaders. A female leader for an Islamic, MIddle-Eastern Civ would also just be amazing.

No, I'm pretty sure Genya means Trung Trac already seems pretty likely, so people pushing for female leaders should focus on persuading them to look at other civilizations now.

Is Zenobia a possibility? It may be, though, that with the Byzantines (and with Alexander, Cyrus et al) that Firaxis may want to move away from Mediterranean Civs for the rest of the releases.

Yeah I can't imagine we will see Palmyra, a) like you say the Mediterranean is pretty well covered already, and b) Palmyra was a very short lived state anyway so perhaps not the most obvious civ choice (though Zenobia would be cool to see).

No, i meant that given the accidental leak last month via the game files, its nearly confirmed Vietnam is coming and given how much we begged about Trung sisters, most likely they are coming alongside it

Anyway #ARWA2021

Culturally, Austria was more prominent than Hungary, but we can safely assume that Austria-Hungary was really two equal kingdom led by one monarch wearing different crowns depending on the time of the day. Having a dual leader for Austria and Hungary would be the last stretch I would be OK with as dual leader (because dual leaders are so tricky to have).

Maria Theresa is really the only leader I would want and she could pull it off as she was crowned queen of Hungary as well.

Well if they added Yemen that would be cool, but I wouldn't like to see her as an alternate leader for Arabia- I think Yemen being it's own thing would be much better.
Agreed
No, I'm pretty sure Genya means Trung Trac already seems pretty likely, so people pushing for female leaders should focus on persuading them to look at other civilizations now.
what’s genya?

and i’m still hoping vietnam chooses a leader who actually spoke vietnamese and was ethnically vietnamese but alas.

Maria Theresa is really the only leader I would want and she could pull it off as she was crowned queen of Hungary as well.

Maria Theresa and Franz Joseph would both be cool leader choices.

Due to Austria being in the HRE during Maria Theresa’s reign, as i’ve said previously, Maria Theresa as a German alt-leader would be well appreciated.

As for Franz Joseph, I’d be chill with him being a leader for Hungary in the future, but surely Hungary doesn’t need a second leader when India doesn’t have a third and China, Egypt, Persia, Russia and Arabia don’t have seconds

The hard part with Arwa (in my experience at least since I'd think shed be fantastic) is finding suitable uniques for a Yemen civ. For infrastructure, you could go with a Mud Skyscraper Neighborhood UD perhaps, but I've found it hard to identify a good Unique Unit for the civ.

The first city-state seen in yesterday's stream was Lisbon.

Do you think it was a hint or just a coincidence? Or to show us that Portugal is not coming this time.

I think that it was placed there to give a clue for dlc #4. I belive it will be Portugal.

Due to Austria being in the HRE during Maria Theresa’s reign, as i’ve said previously, Maria Theresa as a German alt-leader would be well appreciated.
I agree it could work. Though if we do get a second round I don't see why at this point Austria couldn't get in if we are getting close to about 60 civs.

The first city-state seen in yesterday's stream was Lisbon.

Do you think it was a hint or just a coincidence? Or to show us that Portugal is not coming this time.

I think that it was placed there to give a clue for dlc #4. I belive it will be Portugal.
Well it was pretty obvious it wasn't coming in pack 3. I still think it could be pack 4.

I don't think we'll see a third European civ unless the devs are completely committed to no more content after NFP. Even if Portugal is coming, I don't think it will come in the pack immediately after all the other European content.

I don't think we'll see a third European civ unless the devs are completely committed to no more content after NFP. Even if Portugal is coming, I don't think it will come in the pack immediately after all the other European content.
I agree with this. If Pack 4 is Portugal then I think there might not be any more content after the NFP and Pack 6 would most likely either be Assyria or Babylon to finish out the game, or vice versa.

Top Bottom