[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

When do we expect Kublai Khan's first look, the developer stream, and pack release? We are in the last week of January here.

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Tomorrow should be the first look.

Developer stream should be Wed.

Pack releases Jan 28 on Thursday. :)

3. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I'm not sure what you even mean tbh- what have sharks even got to do with anything? I have missed whatever others have said, just came back onto the forum for the first time since I posted that to get a notification for you message, and wanted to respond since it made me look stupid.

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

A couple of days ago it said sharks instead of orcas on her Wikipedia page.

5. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Yeah, I remember sharks on the quote instead of whales... I wonder what happened.

If I made you look stupid, I apologize and didn't mean to do so.

SMcM and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  6. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Sorry not trying to be accusatory, just mean I wanted to defend myself when I looked a bit ignorant initially. And idk what is up with that Wikipedia page being changed

7. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Does Vietnam even have orcas? I think "ca' kinh`" just means whales.
    No one can read Chữ Nôm. It is one of the Vietnamese "inventions" in the past so they could tell themselves "Hey, we don't have to use Chinese to write things down anymore!", but like, bro, you technically still use it. It is a mashed-up version of Chinese characters so complicated that literature in it is not even that frequent. Having to learn it and pass it down proves incredibly difficult. I have a Vietnamese friend who is fluent in Mandarin trying to go back to Nom trying to "decipher" what the characters mean, and she said the characters felt like they were invented to just to keep the literacy rate purposefully low, cuz the only people who were fluent in Nom back then had to be fluent in Mandarin first, which, once again, defeated its purpose.

On a different note, as I pointed out before, we still haven't had a naval civ for NFP, which I think we are guaranteed to have. I am fine with Portugal if they have the Feitoria as the replacement for the Shipyard. So far, the Harbor is the only core specialty district without a unique building.

Jkchart, Kjimmet, almughavar and 2 others like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

I mean it's not Civilization without a Caravel replacement for Portugal. :mischief:

Not sure about a Feitoria being a shipyard replacement though. Could be interesting. I'm still more inclined that they will get a unique improvement that can be built in neutral territory, maybe needing to be adjacent to a luxury resource, and bring yields back to the capital.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  9. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Or Portugal's bonus can be tweaked in the Corporation Mode accordingly: Any Feitoria built on an extra Luxury will automatically create an Industry.

10. notNamed

notNamed Warlord

The impression I've always got was that nôm isn't all that weird or special, it just missed the mark somewhat. It definitely served its purpose at the time, though. To write a Vietnamese poem, you could either write it in nôm, create it, translate it into Classical Chinese and then hope against all hope that people will somehow magically translate it back to the same poem on the other end (ever seen those clips of people translating lyrics through Google TL and back into English again?), or just say fudge it and make a classical poem. So the niche and purpose was there, it just wasn't a tool to write ordinary Vietnamese correspondence, nor teach the writing to the locals. If you look at Chinese and Japanese, it wasn't really different over on their fronts. Baihua had its intended role and had to go through lots of adapting to become the putonghua/mandarin we know today, including a heavy dose of skepticism over it ever being a script usable in the modern world (hence Mao's insistence to replace it all with pinyin after enough rounds of simplifications to ease people into it). Kokugo of Japan likewise went through a long development process, taking what was there for random poems, Buddhist scriptures and turning it into a workable and usable system. And yes, even they had funky ideas about its future and wanted to do the same waves of simplification until just the kana or latin remained.

Chữ Nôm isn't a real alternative to modern Vietnamese. But that's not really something special only to it. Vietnam just picked a different way and never gave it all the standardisation, selection, simplification and what-not that any vernacular borne of Classical Chinese (any characters, but it's a little more work with these folks) had to undertake.

RE - we still haven't had a naval civ for NFP

We're moving west to east, right? Ryuukyuuan kingdom was a naval-oriented entity east of Vietnam and Kublai's palaces. Just sayin'. :lol:

11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

The only problem I see is that the Caravel WAS a Portuguese unique naval unit, originally developed from the Balinger, a small coastal trading vessel, and the Medieval Cog. We could get the Nau, which was simply a Caravel large enough to carry enough supplies to keep the crew alive for longer voyages, but that still leaves the most common Renaissance ships, the Carrack and the Galleon, out of the game.

Oh well, it still wouldn't be the worst botch of unit types in Civ VI . . .

Feitoria was simply a fortified Portuguese version of the Factory which had already been used as a trading center by Medieval merchant groups like the Hanseatic League for at least a century before the Portuguese started building their versions. The significant difference between the earlier 'factories' and the Feitorias was that the latter were Fortified and built Outside of Portuguese territory, so they really should be modeled as a special outside-your-borders Improvement that combines some of the effects of a Trading Post/Fort. As I remember, in Civ V the Nau could automatically 'build' a Feitoria, but I think it had to be within the borders of a City State. That was a game thing, not related to their historical locations, so perhaps something similar but buildable over any Resource and automatically provides the Resource to Portugal AND establishes a Trading Post to extend your trade routes? That would model pretty closely how they were actually used . . .

12. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

If it is not Portugal, I'd wager the last Civ will be a new entry to the franchise and led by a woman, as this will complete the '4New/4Old/1Alt, 6Men/3Women' patterns of yore.

Taino (Anacaona) we can scrap. Caguana's addition to the game in NFP discounts them. Haudenosaunee (Jigonsahsee) are also unlikely, since they are were previously present under their popular name, Iroquois. I don't think they would count as 'new', even if added under 'Haudenosaunee'.

This leaves a couple of options:

> Tonga (Queen Salote)
    > Madagascar (Ranavalona)
    > Italy (Matilda di Canossa)
    > Apache (Goyuen)
    > Cherokee (Nanyehi)
    > Berbers (Tin Hinan, Sayyida al-Hurrah or Dihya)

Some options I didn't mention because I don't think they're worth listing. Ukraine (Olga of Kyiv) won't be added in an NFP that already adds Byzantium, and I doubt Ashanti (Yaa Assantewaa), Benin (Idia) and Hausa (Amina) would be added with Ethiopia already present. Likewise, Gran Colombia's addition debunks any options for Argentina. (Eva Peron)

Out of these options, I think Italy and Cherokee are the most likely, in terms of leader worthiness and recognizable Civ names. Berbers is an idea that mostly exists inside our CivFanatics bubble, and I doubt they would impress the casual fans. They're better off being saved for Civilization 7, where they can be an expansion addition.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Inawordyes, Jkchart, DeepSoul and 3 others like this.
  13. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

I wouldn't consider them particularly likely but the Mohawk led by Molly Brant would be "new" in the same sense "Phoenicia" or "Maori" are new. Not saying I consider it at all likely.

14. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

Sho Hashi leads Ryukyu in Sid Meier's Civilization VI
    Ryukyu's Civ ability is 'The Three Mountains'. 'The Three Mountains' allows Ryukyu the protection of another major civilisation from the moment you meet. Ryukyu will always spawn in an island chain.
    Sho Hashi's ability is 'Chuzan Gate'. 'Chuzan Gate' allows settlers to embark and settle other islands at sailing, and give Ryukyu a unique monument, the Chuzan Gate. This replacement grants extra loyalty per turn, no matter if the city is at full loyalty or not.

But really, Ryukyu could be fun.

Inawordyes, Jkchart, Birch617 and 2 others like this.
  15. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

I would love Ryukyu (my last game was as them with mods)

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

I mean what better way to show of the uniqueness of Portugal by giving them an enhanced unit of the thing they invented. ;)

17. Zaarin

It worked for Phoenicia. :p

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yeah we could have gotten a fourth War Elephant unit instead. :mischief:

19. Zaarin

That could still go to the Seleucids so that we can be even more swimming in Hellenes. :shifty:

Jkchart, Kimiimaro and DWilson like this.
  20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

New Hellenic Pass DLC: :sarcasm:

Epirus Civ: led by Pyrrhus of Epirus
    Unique Unit: War Elephant that causes any friendly unit within 2 tiles to take 25% damage per turn

Seleucid Civ: led by Dmetrius Poliorcetes
    Unique Unit: Sambuca (special Siege Tower) Negates all Ancient Walls but has 0 movement factor

Lysimachid Civ: led by Lysimachus
    Unique Unit: Thracian Peltast (Swordsman replacement) Automatically attacks any of your own Great Generals within 5 tiles

Ptolemaic Civ: led by Ptolemy IV
    Unique Unit: Tessarakonteres ('40er') (Quadireme replacement) Has the factors of a Frigate, but must be built in a Harbor and has 0 Movement and costs 25 Gold Maintenance per turn.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Ryansinbela, AntSou, Jkchart and 6 others like this.