[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Koxinga was a Chinese Ming loyalist and whose father was a pirate, so I might have mixed up the two. Kings and Generals made this video about him and his mentioned father, Zheng Zhilong. He could lead the kingdom of Tungning.

8housesofelixir and Zegangani like this.
  2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

3. Duke William of Normandy

True, although I would prefer if it were lead by someone who was actually referred to as a leader among the pirates such as Benjamin Hornigold or Henry Jennings.

TahamiTsunami and Zegangani like this.
  4. Zegangani

Zegangani Prince

I would love to see Pirate Factions as Sea Barbarians and Zheng Zhilong as an Unique Admiral for China with the Ability to control Pirate Barbarians without them counting to your Civ (cause some chaos to other Civs on the sea).

Eye Love that Mod!

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Well, I guess we can have a pirate civ led by Jack Sparrow or Elizabeth Swan in a few years when Disney-Taco Bell-Pizza Hutt-Pepsi-Radisson-Texas Instruments-NASA owns 2k along with the rest of the world. :mischief:

j51, Kimiimaro, Eagle Pursuit and 3 others like this.
  6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

This. "Pirates" should fall into the same category as Barbarian Hordes on land: overall direction and leadership marginal, but potentially a massive distraction for anyone attempting to make a living from the sea.
    And although the 17th - 18th century Caribbean pirates are the most famous (at least in the West) the Philippine/South China, Classical and Renaissance Mediterranean Pirate swarms may have been even more influential.

To be done right, a Pirate emphasis in the game should really include specific Pirate Ships (Ancient/Classical Galley or Liburnian, Medieval Xebec, Renaissance Sloop or Barque, for instance) that are generally weaker in combat but can all raid the coast and are faster than their Naval opponents and the game needs to include the option to pay them to leave you alone (like, specifically don't raid your coast or trade routes), or hire their ships as Privateers.

7. Guynemer

Guynemer King

because Civ6 has a hammerlock of my subconscious, I woke up this morning what a potential Haudenosaunee civ could look like, and I remembered back in Ye Olden Days of Civ that roads themselves would provide gold, and we haven't really seen this since Civ3 (I think?). So maybe roads on passable features in Haudenosaunee territory provide gold (or food, or production, or some combination thereof).

Also, the Haudenosaunee (like many First Nations people) used controlled forest burns to help fertility. Perhaps they could be resistent to negative effects from forest fires, and all farms/plantations adjacent to forests provide additional food and housing.

8. Zegangani

Zegangani Prince

Yes, they basically are the same as Barbarian Hordes, and with the latest Barbarian Mode Diplomacy Options, the only thing left, beside unique Pirate Ships for "Sea Barbarians", is to make Barbarians plunder Trade Routes in a targeted manner, that should make them more Influential with each Plunder (and decrease the conversion rate to CSs).

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It definitely would be interesting. Though at the same time I'd be fine with a Port Royal or Nassau city-state to depict a Pirate Republic in the game.

Along with Powhatan lead by Pocahontas, Moana leading a Polynesian Civ, Raya leading a SEA civ, Merida leading Ireland/Scotland?, and Elsa leading a non Viking Scandinavia civ. :lol:

I do think that's one advantage of having Barbarian Clans turned on is where instead of coastal clans only spawning quadriremes and then caravels they are able to have biremes and barbary corsairs early game.

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  10. Duke William of Normandy

Jasmine leads Arabia, Shang leads China, Snow White leads France,etc.

11. Zaarin

Germany. :p Cinderella leads France. :p

12. Duke William of Normandy

Oops.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

14. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

For an asymmetric pirate civ, how would it if they could only settle next to coast tiles only (no inland cities)?

Zegangani likes this.
  15. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

There is a historical/geographic phenomena known as a "pirate coast" in which the area just behind the coast is so mountainous or inhospitable that there is virtually no easy communication with the interior. That means that an interior government has no control over the coastal communities and they get no support from the interior, so they invariably turn to piracy. Two of the earliest examples were the Aegean coast of Anatolia and the Dalmatian coast of the Adriatic: mountainous interior, no strong government influence = Pirates!

Which means that a possible "pirate Civ' mechanic could build on the current 'coastal barbarian clans': when one of them becomes a City State, it becomes a Pirate City State like, say, Port Royale, Tortuga, Hai Tac, Sale, Porto Farina, Algiers, etc.

Any of these could also be the basis for a "Pirate Civ" in which your starting bias would be 100% Coastal Start, you would have bonuses towards sea trade and commerce but severe maluses towards building land armies, Pirate type ships as posted earlier might even be free or dirt cheap since your population will be building them and using them without 'government' supervision: something like every time a ship pillages a coastal tile or loots a Trade Route it spawns a new 'pirate' ship - success breeds imitators, so to speak. . .

16. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Huge swaths of Central Asia are very under represented. Scythians are speaking Iranian related language, but what about all those Turkic Muslim states in the Central Asia. Civ needs Tamerlane. And Timurids/Uzbeks. Tamerlane is just as iconic as Alexander, Napoleon or Cesar and yet he never been in civ franchise. Yes, he is aa great general, like Genghis was before becoming a leader. Time to fix it and make him a leader. Rename Timur GG Nader Shah.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  17. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

Turns out we're revisiting SEA for the Champa...

679x likes this.
  18. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

Feels sort of odd that in not too long (if previous announcements are anything to go by), we'll know what the final civ is. Where'd all the time go?

Thus, not a lot of time left to decide whether you want to bank on Portugal or a North American civ... or a surprise something else.

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm sure the update video will be on the 15th, a week from tomorrow, if they go by precedent of releasing the video on a Monday and then the 25th for the pack release on the Thursday of the next week.

Kjimmet, Kimiimaro, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  20. Zaarin

Not saying you're wrong, but I have to point out that Central Asia was solidly Iranian until well into the Middle Ages (and quite a few Iranian peoples are still in Central Asia--Tajiks, Pashtuns, Balochi, Yaghnobis, etc.).

TahamiTsunami, j51, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.