[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe King

I think both, Oyo and AShante, should appear in this game.
    Oyo is more magic with Odudwa or Shango as leaders and Ashante more Shiny with a full of gold Osei Tutu.

2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Exactly this. Hatchepsut should be trade based. She can also function as Builder based leader, but bear in mind that the Valley of Kings, her main building site, is located AWAY from Flood Plains. If anything, her builder ability should allow her wonders to provide yield and appeal bonuses to surrounding tiles, or adjacency/production bonuses to all surrounding districts.

3. onepurpose

onepurpose Warlord

It dates from late antiquity and did not only applied in France

That rule was brought to Spain by Borbon dynasty (XVIII century) and caused serious trouble.. being two lines of succession .. the tradicional spanish that allowed women to access to the throne and the french imported that did prevent it..

In UK, it caused the separation of Hanover and UK, since the former applied it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law

Cooleatack likes this.
  4. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Fair point. And as I was typing it, I still didn't feel quite comfortable with the assessment because both CdM and Eleanor, though clearly influential women, were kind of out of left field.

At any rate, I think Egypt is a much clearer cut case, especially since we already have Cleo.

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Don't you mean "What Nau?" :lol:
    Can't believe no one else made that joke.

How about the birthplace of the Renaissance in culture and Science? :p

Yes please. Though the city-state buying can go into an Italian civ whether it be a Risorgimento or Italic League ability. :mischief:
    I'd rather her get something else like sending her children to another civ you are allied with as another "delegation" that provides both culture and diplo favor per turn for the both of you.

6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

So...Russia. :p

7. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso King

I'm a fierce advocate against Napoleon for France. Sincerely, he did some incredible things, but I see him more as a bloody dictator than a ruler we ought to look upon. Do you know that he's responsible for the fact that French are waaaay more prone to suffer from varicose veins because of him? Varicoses were a reason to be exempted to serve in Napoleonic armies, and so much soldiers died for Napoleon that it completely shift the genetic inheritage of French people. We often talk how Gengis Khan is the father of so much of the population, but Napoleon managed to screw the genes of a whole country.

Moreover, if we ought to have a second leader for France, I'd rather have a republican one rather than another monarchist (even if he's an imperial one). Sure, the Third Republic had her share on the Scramble of Africa, but as much as Victoria, so it's not that bad. Jules Ferry could be a good one, especially a scientific leader for France, to show his school and education reforms quite fundamental for contemporary France. But, look at the wonderful sideburns.

But if we want a militaristic leader for France, Louis XIV could work for both the cultural and militaristic aspect. Sure, he ruined the country... But didn't all kings did that? And Louis IX (Saint Louis) could be used as a military/religious leader, if you really want a militaristic leader. But... Please, not Napoléon (except if his ability is what I thought: make Great Scientists and Great Engineers act as Great Generals too).

Egypt is more "legitimate" to have female leader because they truly had "queens", while in France they always have been consorts of regents.

Cleopatra is a great choice because she was undoubtfully a great leader (sadly reduced to a role of evil seductress by the ROmans) and Hatchepsut too.
    Having more female leaders, if only to learn more and open consciousnesses, is always a good thing.

To be fair, the best candidate civ to have a "peacefully gobble up city-States" is most probably Switzerland, who truly accepted new cantons that wanted to be part of it. The RIsorgimento was more... violent let's say.
    And while I know it would never happen, I'd love a Swiss civ. There is so much unique, asymetric, fun elements that we could use: the only true conteporary federative nation as one of the most democratic in their political apparatus, their armed neutrality, their banking system, their use of mountains and skiing, chocolate... Think of everything that could be done! Even get William Tell to be their leader!

Ulug Bel, the Prince-Astronomer, lead the Timurids in Civ VI, with a bonus to campuses and universities!

bbbt and DWilson like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Maybe after Peter sends his trade routes. :p

I never said it would have to be 100% peaceful. :mischief:

9. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Switzerland is probably one of the only smaller nations that give me pause, even under the current "imperial" standard civ candidates seem to be judged by. If any "city-state" has established an economic empire, it would be the Swiss. So the idea of a city-state that could annex other city-states peacefully, plus some way of financially extorting the other civs...and a Swiss Bank UB replacing the Stock Exchange...

I would allow the Swiss. Even before Ireland or Bohemia or Finland I think. Which is shameful in some respect because Western Europe is crammed as it is.

DWilson likes this.
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

So the Swiss can build a Swiss bank, in addition to a regular bank, which would be the requirement to build a Swiss bank in the first place. :crazyeye:
    That is the very definition of an economic empire. :lol:

11. berlin88

berlin88 Warlord

For France, the best choices for leader are Charles Martel, Louis XIV, Jean of Arc or deGaulle.

Louis XIV did have the humiliating misfortune of fumbling away New France, but I suppose one can overlook that, since he did help the 13 colonies against the British.

Henri Christophe likes this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Charles Martel led Francia, not France, and if we ever get Francia I think it's safe to say that Charlemagne is far and away the obvious choice. Jean d'Arc never led anything; she didn't even lead the army--she was more like a mascot. Louis XIV is a good "big personality" leader, and I wouldn't mind seeing him return--though TBH Henri IV and Francis I are at the top of my wishlist for France in Civ7. De Gaulle is too modern for my tastes.

13. Menocchio

Menocchio Warlord

Do you have a source for this about varicose veins? I've worked under several Napoleonic and Revolution-era historians and have never once heard this come up. And as far as I am aware, varicose veins - while somewhat hereditary - are mostly resultant from one's lifestyle and age, in addition to being more common in women.

Jules Ferry, in my mind, is no less controversial than Napoleon, and not even for his colonial policies, but for the very reason you recommend him: his education reforms single-handedly caused the near-extinction of the many non-Parisien French languages throughout continental France. From the 1880s to the 1950s, Occitan, Breton, and other languages which together almost made a plurality with standard French in terms of primary usage plummeted, until they even disappeared from household use.

Meluhhan, j51, Kimiimaro and 3 others like this.
  14. untitledjuan

untitledjuan Warlord

What about Argentina? :mischief:

15. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I just want something to replace the Stock Exchange, no matter how nonsensical.

I suppose you could get a Bankveiren CH replacement instead.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Though Argentina would be great, I think we're fine on post-colonial civs and would rather more indigenous ones from the Americas. Even if we get another one I'm not expecting another Spanish speaking one after we just got Gran Colombia. I'd expect something different like Haiti.

I was thinking that Casa da India was going to be a Stock Exchange replacement, instead it became an ability.

17. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

no more post-colonial american civs pls pls pls

Guandao, SirMediocrity and Zaarin like this.
  18. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Do you mean the Good and the Large Nose? :mischief:

Maybe we could exclude Gran Colombia from Civ 7 and put Argentina in instead?

Thenewwwguy, Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  19. Alexander's Hetaroi

I wouldn't be surprised if we got the Muisca and Argentina instead of Mapuche and Gran Colombia to change things up if they don't increase the number of civs in South America.
    Because the Inca.... and Brazil are probably here to stay. :mischief:

20. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Long live Dom Satan!