[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

I'll start: America will be in Civ 7 Vanilla. :p

Did you expect any profound or conspiratorial ideas? Not on my watch, lol.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. Yudhisthira

Yudhisthira Chieftain

And being a official member of unofficial Union of members against post colonial civilization (UMAPCC), I fully oppose it. ;)

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Duke William of Normandy

Honestly, America will make it into the game no matter what, but if they introduce it in a big expansion pack, that would leave more room for more NA Civs that aren't post-colonial.

I personally wouldn't oppose America being in the game, although I would love some more NA Civs.

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I don't mind post-colonial civs as long as we equally get enough native civs. That being said I do think that some are here to stay such as America and Brazil.

After that I'm not too sure. I'd argue that Australia has the most likely chance of coming back if they go for another Anglophone one from Oceania, over New Zealand. :mischief:

The Americas are different though. I wouldn't mind switching out Canada and Gran Colombia for Argentina and Haiti in Civ 7.

Plus if they get closer to 60 civs in Civ 7 still keeping it to these five would be fine. :)

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Which is unfortunate because of all the postcolonial civs we got stuck with, Australia has the least justification for its presence in the game. There's already an Anglophone postcolonial civ: the United States. We don't need a second one. (Or a quasi-third one, Canada--though if I have to pick between the two I still choose Canada, which at least has some more uniqueness to bring to the table...even if they chose not to :crazyeye: ).

j51 likes this.
  6. Alexander's Hetaroi

Tell that to Amplitude too which has Americans and Australians in Humankind, but no Canadians. :p

I'd rather switch Haiti for Canada in Civ 7, as a proper Francophone post colonial civ, which hopefully will make room for the Iroquois and other continental North American native civs.

j51 and Duke William of Normandy like this.
  7. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

My guess is 58 civs in Civ7:
    Europe (2 more than Civ6)
    North America (2 more than Civ6)
    South America (1 more than Civ6)
    Mesoamerica/Caribbean/Central America (the same number of civs as Civ6)
    East Asian (1 more than Civ6 )
    Middle east (1 more than Civ6)
    Africa (1 more than Civ6)
    Oceania (the same number of civs as Civ6)

Those guesses can be different if they decide to split India, though.

Can we already start to speculate? :p

8. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Tietäjä

Out of curiosity, what civ would you rather have in Australia? I personally have always felt there needs to be something in there. On my old CivV playthroughs, I typically played on Earth map and, having an empty continent where has historically lived people long before colonialism always seemed weird to me.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Unexpected twist: America will not be in Civ VII vanilla release, but will come as a DLC.

10. Zaarin

Humankind is a different game with different metrics. Australia makes more sense for HK than it does for Civ; in Civ Australia was in the game on release day...as part of the English civilization.

I'd have liked Canada to look more like the Cree and be led by Samuel de Champlain. That being said, I have no opinion on postcolonial civs beyond wanting as few as possible and insisting that the few we must have be as geopolitically prominent and culturally distinct as possible.

I don't play TSL so I'd vote for none. Australia is gratuitous, and Aboriginal Australians aren't an option for a number of reasons. Throw a city state there if the gap really needs filling (though TBH Australia is a great place to expand to for civs that start in East Asia, East Africa, or the western Americas on a real Earth map, TSL or not).

We should be so lucky. :D

11. Duke William of Normandy

I think you're confusing the Aztecs with the Australians. :p

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  12. Codeword Iroquois

Codeword Iroquois Warlord

Hot take: Original Civs will only appear through expansions and DLC cycles. Other staples can appear in vanilla, but not those in Civ 1

13. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

That's never happening, since money. Although it'd be cool

14. Zaarin

To my knowledge the Aztecs were never part of the English Empire, nor are most Aztecs part of an Anglophone postcolonial civ (I'm sure a few Nahua have emigrated to the US, but they're not a major demographic). :p

15. Duke William of Normandy

I meant that Australia wasn't released alongside England.

16. Zaarin

My point is that Australia is part of the English civilization, not that it was gratuitously calved off into its own civilization in the base game.

17. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I don't have any issue with the modern civs. Every civ is a snapshot of time so I'm fine with ones which are exclusively modern. I suspect the countries with larger populations will remain in future iterations...

18. Zaarin

Civilizations and nation-states aren't the same thing, though, and most nation-states that have been included are already part of a civilization that's in the game.

This is the clinching point. Australia wasn't included because it's a civilization; Australia was included because Australian dollars.

j51 and Yudhisthira like this.
  19. Duke William of Normandy

Oooh... Now that you put it that way, I see what you mean. Apologies. :p

Zaarin likes this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Seems like we have. :lol:
    Here is my conspiracy theories:
    American Staples: America, Aztec, Brazil, Inca, Maya. Returnees from previous game: Iroquois as geographically close to Canada's start. New: Argentina, Haiti, Muisca, (replaces Canada, Gran Colombia, and Mapuche), and another western "horse raider" such as Navajo/Apache or Comanche.

Central/South/East Asia Staples: China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, India, Indonesia. Returnees: Vietnam, and either Siam or Khmer or both if Burma doesn't make it. New: Mughals (separate from India centered more around Afghanistan/Pakistan), Burma/Tibet?

Middle East: Arabia, Babylon, Carthage/Phoenicia, Persia, Ottomans. Returnees: Assyria/Sumer or both. :mischief: New: Parthia and Armenia (as Scythia and Georgia replacements)?

Europe Staples: at least England, France, Germany, Greece, Russia, Rome in base game. Duh. :p Dutch, Byzantium, Poland, Portugal and Sweden in DLC/expansions. Maybe Spain if not in Vanilla. Returnees: Norway/Denmark for Vikings. New: Ireland (Celts), Some form of Italy, Goths (Classical Era), Franks (if Alexander can have his own civ why not Charlemagne?), Romania if Austria/Hungary don't make it. :mischief:

Africa Staples: Egypt, Ethiopia (maybe Classical Era inspired over Nubia), Zulu. Returnees: Mali or Songhai, possibly Morocco. New: Berbers if no Morocco, Angola (over Kongo), something more modern instead of Ethiopia like Nigeria or South Africa? :shifty:

Oceania: Australia, Maori, Hawaii/Tonga/Samoa (as the seafaring Polynesians)

I think I maybe got to about 57 so add in another wildcard somewhere for 58. :D

I mean civilization in game just means playable faction. In the same vein maybe we shouldn't of always had America because America is just a branch of England?

If America can continuously be in the game I have no problem with Australia, Canada, and Brazil though I agree that there does need to eventually be a limit on how many.