So it's been a while since my last thread on unique religious gameplay (Late-Game Religion), and I had always thought about, and couldn't make up my mind on how civs that adopt another civs' religion can contribute to that religion and benefit from it. After all in real history for example, Spain did not found Catholicism, but was very crucial to spreading it all over the world. Buddhism, despite being founded in India (or modern day Pakistan, idk the exact location), ended up spreading to Indochina and East Asia, and China may have been a big contributor to its spread. Russia seems to have the most influence in terms of Orthodox Christianity despite that sect of Christianity originating from the Eastern Roman Empire.

Unfortunately, this isn't really the case with Civ6, and the rewards mostly go to the founder of the religion, while the civs that adopt the religion get the follower beliefs, and then just sit around doing nothing since there isn't much they can do, and spreading it would only give a win to the founder, so here is my idea to fix this:

RELIGIOUS CHAMPIONS
"Religious champions" are the civilizations that are responsible for leading their religious followers in the world, and the ones capable of winning a Religious Victory. By default, this means that civs that found religions are their religions' first religious champions.

But what happens if that civ for example, is defeated and loses all their cities, but their religion is the majority religion of another civ? Well then that other civ becomes the Religious Champion of that game, if it has the most followers outside of the religion's original founding civ.

Religious Champions can do all the same things that civilizations that found religions do, as well as reap all the beliefs of that religion like usual, the only exception is that they can win Religious Victories, and they don't need to found religions to do all those. If a religion has less than 4 beliefs, then it can evangelize their own new belief despite not being the original founder, like an idea made by someone, but developed and contributed over by different people from different places over time, like in real life!

To become a Religious Champion:

1. Found a religion
  2. Kill the civilization that founded the religion while having that same religion as your majority religion ,or alternatively just let that civ die through other means (And in both cases you must have the most followers of all civs following that religion) to become the new Religious Champion
  3. Receive the status of Religious Champion from another civilization through a trade deal or some other means of diplomacy (I wonder if the Religious Champion should be tradable? Or at least giving it should be made a diplomatic action?)
This should enable it such that even Mvemba's Kongo can now win a Religious Victory without too much trouble.

(I would also suspect the cities of the Religious Champion would get extra bonuses like having their cities exert more religious pressure than other civs)

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE ORIGINAL FOUNDER OF THE RELIGION IS REVIVED?
If you're wondering this, well the status of Religious Champion won't be given back to them, they either have to be willingly given it back by the current Religious Champion, or they must kill the civ that currently has the Religious Champion status.

WHAT IF THERE ARE TWO RELIGIONS WHOSE FOUNDERS ARE CONQUERED AND THERE IS A CIVILIZATION WHO MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR BEING THE RELIGIOUS CHAMPION OF BOTH RELIGIONS?
I would presume that the religion with more followers in that civ would end up being the religion being championed by that civ. As for the other religion, I'd assume that the civ with the second largest amount of followers would become its Religious Champion instead. Basically, this also means civilizations can only be the Religious Champion of one religion at a time.

WHAT IF THERE ARE LESS CIVILIZATIONS LEFT IN THE GAME THAN THE NUMBER OF RELIGIONS?
Simple, I'd presume that the religion would still exist, but depending on the number of followers starting from the smallest, I suspect that any chance of having a Religious Champion they can follow would be eliminated. In other words, they are religions without a Religious Champion. Like, religions without a religious leader, sheep without a shephard.

This idea is somewhat still under development I think, but this is the general gist of it. What do you all, reading this thread think? (And is there already a mod out there that has applied this function? Asking in case there's one and I'm unaware of it. I'm already in progress for making my first public mod, maybe I might mod this idea along with my Late-Game Religions idea in the future.....)

Top Bottom