1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization VI Steam Summer Sale

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Jun 21, 2018.

1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

It seems that Steam is now collecting sales tax, at least from this Illinois purchaser. Is that new? My other recent Civ-related purchases were from third party sites, and they didn't collect sales tax. I suppose it could be Thursday's supreme court decision, but that seems rather fast implementation. Or maybe they've been doing it all along?

2. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

@WillowBrook I'm in Wisconsin. I was just looking through my steam purchases (which isn't often). But I noticed taxes from my purchases going back to October 2017.

WillowBrook likes this.
  3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

I've never been charged sales tax up to, and including, my last purchase, which was R&F back in December. So it may be new.

4. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

5. Laurana Kanan

6. alancsilver

alancsilver Warlord

Ahhh.... Looks like @WillowBrook and I are screwed. from
    https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/finance/taxfaq

"
    • A. We charge sales tax on Illinois, Washington, and Wisconsin state sales only. Sales tax is calculated and then added on top of the Steam Price. On a periodic basis, Valve remits sales tax to the revenue authorities.
    "

7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Ha! Good find, thanks.

Given last week's supreme court decision, I bet there will be more states added to that list.

bbbt and SammyKhalifa like this.
  8. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

Is it considered a complete game if I buy the deluxe version and the expansion? I am new Steam user. The last civ game I brought was on a cd. It’s a bit confusing what is included and what is not included when there are many options. Thanks.

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yep, it should be. Deluxe includes all DLC released so far and R&F is the only expansion.

glider1 likes this.
  10. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

I was about to finally purchase the dlc bundle, but then I noticed recent reviews talking about the new EULA and redshell. Since I didn't buy Kerbal for the same reason, I guess I won't give them more money until the problem is fixed and apologies from the company are given to us. It's a shame

CyberTyrant likes this.
  11. Stamden

Stamden Chieftain

Since I already have a few of the DLC, I don't seem to get the deal. I can get like the 4 civs I don't have for $20...

Is there any way around this. It seems either trying to purchase the DLC pack or Deluxe does not factor in already bought DLC.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The OP says you can buy them individually at 30% off.

13. Stamden

Stamden Chieftain

That's a pretty crappy sale though IMO.

14. Laurana Kanan

A third off seems pretty reasonable to me considering, I believe, that this is the first time they've been on sale through Steam.

CPWimmer likes this.
  15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's the first time they have been on sale, ever. (except once when they accidentally put Australia on sale for less than 24 hours). Regardless of the "quality" of the discount, you probably won't be able to buy them for less for a very long time.

Karpius and Noble Zarkon like this.
  16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

The general rule has been that if a company has a storefront in your state, then they have to charge the sales tax. In this case I'm assuming those states are where they have their offices.

The big movers in this issue has been Amazon. They were warriors for the "No Nationwide Tax" side until they opened a warehouse in every state, at which point they suddenly had a change of heart (wonder why) and went to the side that everyone should pay the tax everywhere no matter where the company is.

CPWimmer and WillowBrook like this.
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I've bought most of the others through sales on other sites (GMG has had a couple on), but yeah, it's the first sale we've seen of them on the official site, so just need to be happy with what we have, I guess. Maybe there will be a doorcrasher sale on them sometime later, but can't count on it.

Now the only DLC I'm missing is the vikings pack. Still not sure 3.67 or whatever the cost is now is worth it for just a few city states and natural wonders...

18. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Warlord

Still cheaper than key stores atm (I'm just talking about Khmer/Ind and Nubia, which were the last ones I was missing).

19. Bulla

Bulla Chieftain

Ok so I'm a bit confused. I haven't bought Civ VI yet and I want to take advantage of this summer sale. What do I need to buy to get the game and all the content that's been released so far? I'm also confused as to what comes with the digital deluxe.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm pretty sure it still comes with everything except the expansion (at least that's what it has given me).