Civilization VI was one of the top 12 selling titles on Steam this year

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

Both Civ V and VI are amazing games and they deserve it to be honest.

Probably the titles I've sinked most hours in.

RohirrimElf and Julia97 like this.
  2. Paragon

Paragon Chieftain

I'd like to know how you divulged that?

3. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Almost surprising considering how hard it got review bombed for the RedShell debacle and strange hatred Civ5 lovers have towards it.

4. Rup

Rup Warlord

Civilization VI is platinum for consecutive years since it's launch. And V is not a platinum game anymore.
    Also more people play VI than V now..

5. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I dont think it matters what rating a game gets on steam. If it is constantly in the top 30 most played games on player statistics.
    It is a good thing more people are buying and playing civ 6. This means a higher chance for content past the second expansion.
    Still hoping for a third expansion and release of DLL code during 2nd expansion.

6. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

What sources show Civilization VI was platinum? I would be curious to know so I can also look up other video games to see sales figures.

7. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

Who cares?
    Personally, I don't give a fudge if a game I keep playing is generally popular.

Babarigo likes this.
  8. Quintus of Mund

Quintus of Mund Chieftain

I think it's just good from an "ongoing support" point of view (Paradox model!)

Rup likes this.
  9. Rup

Rup Warlord

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2017_best_sellers/
    https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/
    https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2018_so_far_top_sellers/

I misinformed, it was gold seller in 2017 but still V didn't made it to even bronze so my point still stand.But it is unsurprising for a new game to do better.Even though I personally prefer VI and IV much much more than V.

10. Morningcalm

How did Civ V do overall though? It was released far ahead of 2017, so I would be curious about sales figures within 4 years of its initial (vanilla base game) publication.

11. Rup

Rup Warlord

That is hard to tell but only thing we know that Civilization V sold more than 7M copies in about 3 years ago.They don't give us the raw sales figure.I think Civilization 5 has sold more copies than VI till now.It might change once GS IS out.

12. Morningcalm

Ok, good to know. For the 7M figure, did they count sales of the Civ V expansions or just of the base game during those years?

13. Babarigo

Babarigo Chieftain

If the "ongoing support" is DLCs like Golden Century I think I can live without it. A lot of Paradox DLCs are quite shallow and barely worth their price even when they are on sale. I've played a lot CK2 and I can not name a single DLC that didn't felt unfinished.
    Anyway I don't really know why so many people is happy that Civilization 6 is doing so well. Big game studios like Blizzard, Bethesda or Bioware were also doing well and look where they are now. Civ 6 has a lot of basic problems that haven't been fixed since the release of the game. Seriously, we had to wait 2 years to get a production queue, a basic feature that was present at Civilization 4 release. I would expected that with all those sales Firaxis could have put the resources to fix this kind of issues without having to rely on mods.

14. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

How can it possibly matter in Jan 2019?

15. Morningcalm

Why wouldn't it matter? I'm trying to get a sense on overall sale figures of V vs. VI. Specificity helps when looking at stats.