Civilization World comes to Facebook

Moss

CFC Scribe
Retired Moderator
2k has posted A Letter from Sid about the upcoming Facebook game now titled Civilization World on the game's Facebook page. Here's a little bit of what is written:
We have some exciting news to share with you about Civilization for Facebook! As you can see from the new look of this page, the official title for our game is Civilization World (Civ World). Why a name change you say? The name better reflects the main theme of the game; in Civ World you will be joining your friends to form nations, which will compete with other player-nations to rule the world. Civ World’s shaping up to be a really fun Facebook game, as well as another addictive Civilization experience.

We're also happy to announce that we intend to launch the Closed Alpha test version of the game on January 12th, and you can sign up to become part of our development testing team starting today! Would you like a chance to join the test? Then we'll need you to form a team with your friends, and sign up for the alpha test as a team. Why a team? Because to win in Civ World, you’ll need to collaborate with your friends in order to do well in the game and become ruler of the world, so in our early Alpha testing, we're grouping people together to simulate how the game will work when it's available to the world at large. In the final game, you'll be able to sign up individually (although we'll love it if you invite your friends), but to participate in Closed Alpha, you'll have to enter as a team. It's up to you how you organize your testing team. Your team can be anywhere from 5-50 people.
If you would like to sign up for the Closed Alpha test game, click here.

Please also feel free to discuss this on our forums.

We have some exciting news to share with you about Civilization for Facebook! As you can see from the new look major changes to the limited parts we can actually change on facebook of this page, the official title for our game is Civilization World (Civ World). Why a name change you say? The name better reflects the main theme of the game; in Civ World you will be joining your friends a bunch of random people you've never met because most of your friends probably don't care (if they even know Civilization exists) to form nations, which will compete with other player-nations to rule the world form one big group that beats the hell out of everyone else so they can't have any fun unless they are masochists. Civ World’s shaping up to be a really fun (for the select few in a big group) Facebook game, as well as another addictive Civilization experience.

Fixed and my predictions.

Personally I have no desire to use my facebook account to play a game with other people I don't trust. Neither have I seen any redeeming qualities in both the game and playerbase of similar browser "nation" "sim" "games" which seem to largely involve one group of players having fun beating down all the other players so they can't have fun. However, I hope Sid Meier and Firaxis create a really good game and wish them the best of luck.

Sid is fully drinking the 2k juice now... Goodbye any semblance of CivIV!

Man I'm tempted to sign up for facebook just to try this, hope the game will become available for those of us who don't do facebook

Man I'm tempted to sign up for facebook just to try this, hope the game will become available for those of us who don't do facebook

Don't do it facebook is a trap, and no it won't be available outside of facebook.

I'm the only one in my friends that plays Civ, argh!

This looks like something cityville players will think is too complex, and civ fans that it's too simplistic. Who will play it?

I asked for alpha login anyway. Maybe we should organize into a "civfanatics" team, since they ask you to name the team you're in, and only that way will anyone get alpha in the first place.

Personally I have no desire to use my facebook account to play a game with other people I don't trust. Neither have I seen any redeeming qualities in both the game and playerbase of similar browser "nation" "sim" "games" which seem to largely involve one group of players having fun beating down all the other players so they can't have fun. However, I hope Sid Meier and Firaxis create a really good game and wish them the best of luck.

:yup:

I thought I signed up for the alpha last year. Guess not. Any form of Civ is too complex for my friends, not that there is anything wrong with that, but they are very causal gamers.

Civ intertwined with fb games. Horrible because in fb games you have to help your neighbor, and you never win. To me sorry but it is sickening.

Civ intertwined with fb games. Horrible because in fb games you have to help your neighbor, and you never win. To me sorry but it is sickening.

I think you're assuming this is a zynga "game". Though, how is helping others a BAD thing? Sounds a hell of a lot more realistic considering no civilization has ever or will ever win.

Top Bottom