1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization3.ini file

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by FM_Freyland, Dec 6, 2003.

1. FM_Freyland

FM_Freyland Vote with your wallets!

After a long hiatus, I am returning to Civ3. I know from both memory and the readme that I can adjust the screen resolution, but I cannot find the pesky civilization3.ini file! I have run the game twice to force it to 'make' the file, but I cannot find it. What typically stupid thing am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jonathan

2. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

I don't know what you might be doing wrong, but it *should* be in the main Civ3 folder; by default:

"C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III"

Edit: typo

3. FM_Freyland

Solved the problem, to a degree.

I needed to load Civ3 to create the .ini file, regardless of whether I actually want to play PTW. I found the file and added the keepres=1 (roughly remembered), but I am not sure that the appearance of my game has changed. Is that because I am running in 1600x1200 on my desktop?

Jonathan

4. Duantalus

Duantalus Chieftain

Keep in mind that PTW keeps its own .ini file to track this, its called ptw.ini and its in the ..\civIII\PTW directory. There are also two setting you can use to:

KeepRes=X

Where X= is 0 or 1. 1 =true, you can guess what 0 is for.

VideoMode=X

Where X can be set too 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792.

5. FM_Freyland

That did it. Thanks!

Jonathan

6. meyerd2

meyerd2 Chieftain

Having the same problem. Would love to try this, but can find ini files. I have an HP. Have tried going into the programs file for Civ3, but once there, I can't find the ini. Help.
    Thanks

7. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

In explorer, click on the 'tools' menu, then 'folder options'. On the form that comes up, choose 'view'. Then change the check boxes for 'show hidden files & folders', uncheck the 'hide protected operating system files' and uncheck the 'hide file extensions for known file types'.

Most likely windows has hidden the file from you. :)