Civilizations in Civ 5: Europe

What European civilizations do you want to see in Civ 5?

• England

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Norway

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • Finland

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Denmark

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • Vikings

Votes: 75 49.3%
  • Poland

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • France

Votes: 109 71.7%
  • Spain

• Portugal

Votes: 90 59.2%
  • Rome

Votes: 104 68.4%
  • Italy

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • Celts

Votes: 77 50.7%
  • Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • Austria

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Hungary

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Russia

• Romania

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Yugoslavia

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • Greece

Votes: 106 69.7%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 78 51.3%
  • Ottomans/Turkey

Votes: 106 69.7%
  • Other

Votes: 30 19.7%

• Total voters

Optimizer

Sthlm, SWE
What civilizations do you want to see in Civilization 5?

Since there are many candidates, the poll is split into three parts: Europe, Asia (including Middle East and northern Africa) and New World (including tropical Africa).

The leading candidates will remain in a final round.

Please, no vikings. As said before, a Viking civilization ruled by Ragnar Lodbrok makes about as much sense as replacing the English with a Yeoman civilization ruled by Robin Hood, or replacing the Americans with the Cowboys ruled by Zorro.

England ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Norway ~ See Sweden and Denmark
Sweden ~ See Denmark
Finland ~ Most likely no.
Denmark ~ No, too redundant
Vikings ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Poland ~ Yes, do we really want to go through the pain of not having it in the game again?
Germany ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Netherlands ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
France ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Spain ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Portugal ~ Maybe, I would have to think about this one.
Rome ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Italy ~ Redundant
Celts ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Holy Roman Empire ~ Maybe.
Austria ~ Yes, if it can be made with and combine with Hungary
Hungary ~ Yes, see above.
Russia ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Romania ~ Not without good reason to do so.
Yugoslavia ~ No, not important enough in regional/world history.
Greece ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Byzantine Empire ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Ottomans/Turkey ~ Yes, no reason needed to explain why.
Other ~ ?

OK, I realised I made a big mistake by including a Viking civilization in the poll. I will consider these votes as votes for Norsemen or Scandinavians.

Repalace the Viking empire with Norway-Iceland-Danish and Finland-Swedish empires. Makes a lot more sense.
So what's the reasoning for that?

Any particular reason for that?

Yes!! If you don't know yet Bulgaria was a European superpower during the medeival ages and controlled all the land which is now known as Bulgaria, Northern Greece, Lower Thrace, Constantinople, Macedonia, Serbia, Bosnia, Albania, Croatia, Romania, Southern Hungary, Moldova and Southwest Ukraine. To sum it up, between 790 and the late 1300's Bulgaria had control over the whole Balkan Pininsula and dominated Europe alongside Charlemagne and Byzantium. Also, Bulgarian scholars Ciril and Methodious ultimately created the Cirilic alphabet which was later spread by their discipiles and currently used widely across Eastern Europe. The Bulgarians were also feared warwagers as they reached the walls of Constantinople many times and kept the Byzantines walk on hot ash. (ummm... Bulgaria basically dominated Byzantium ever since its foundation in 681) The bulgarians were also the only ones under Khan Krum who halted Charlemagne's conquerance of Eastern Europe and ultimately his entire military career. Enough info???

Ciril and Methodius where from byzantuim sent to christiniaze the Slavs do not tell me they where Bulgarians. And also Turkey is not a European country so no to them as Europe

Ciril and Methodius where from byzantuim sent to christiniaze the Slavs do not tell me they where Bulgarians. And also Turkey is not a European country so no to them as Europe[/QUOTE

Wrong. Their mother was Bulgarian and she married their dad who was a wealthy Byzantinian government official in Thessalonica. The brothers wanted to create the alphabet because they thought that God had put them on earth to create an alphabet for their motherland. They were not sent to Christianize the Slavs. Slavs and Bulgarians are 2 different things. Slavs were in different tribes who fought the Byzantines when the Bulgarians came from their prevoius lands in Ukraine. They knew their common goal was to destroy Byzantium and they decided to Unite and form one country. King Boris was the one who decided to accept Christianity from Byzantium in order that Bulgaria be a more respected country and that all Slavs and Bulgarians be unified under one religion and not have paganist beliefs collide.

Ciril and Methodius where from byzantuim sent to christiniaze the Slavs do not tell me they where Bulgarians. And also Turkey is not a European country so no to them as Europe[/QUOTE

Wrong. Their mother was Bulgarian and she married their dad who was a wealthy Byzantinian government official in Thessalonica. The brothers wanted to create the alphabet because they thought that God had put them on earth to create an alphabet for their motherland. They were not sent to Christianize the Slavs. Slavs and Bulgarians are 2 different things. Slavs were in different tribes who fought the Byzantines when the Bulgarians came from their prevoius lands in Ukraine. They knew their common goal was to destroy Byzantium and they decided to Unite and form one country. King Boris was the one who decided to accept Christianity from Byzantium in order that Bulgaria be a more respected country and that all Slavs and Bulgarians be unified under one religion and not have paganist beliefs collide.

Bulgarians are not Slavs? to be honest i have talked with Bulgarians that told me they are Slavs And you should know that at that time a persons ethnicity was primarily decided by the decent of their father.

Ciril and Methodius where from byzantuim sent to christiniaze the Slavs do not tell me they where Bulgarians. And also Turkey is not a European country so no to them as Europe

I believe the ottoman empire most certainly can be classified as being a european civilization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:OttomanEmpireIn1683.png
click the link....the ottomans ruled over the entirety of south eastern europe. Its also worth noting that since the ottomans were a multi-ethnic empire that they werent a foreign implant...yes that means they had european beauracrats and troops too..
and modern turkey..well , modern turkey's sports teams play in the european associations, they are applying for EU membership and are generally considered european by one and all. Most europeans certainly consider turks to be european.
can someone explain to me the nordic debate...what do the scandinavian civ players prefer? a generic scandinavian civilization?

I believe the ottoman empire most certainly can be classified as being a european civilization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:OttomanEmpireIn1683.png
click the link....the ottomans ruled over the entirety of south eastern europe. Its also worth noting that since the ottomans were a multi-ethnic empire that they werent a foreign implant...yes that means they had european beauracrats and troops too..
and modern turkey..well , modern turkey's sports teams play in the european associations, they are applying for EU membership and are generally considered european by one and all. Most europeans certainly consider turks to be european.
can someone explain to me the nordic debate...what do the scandinavian civ players prefer? a generic scandinavian civilization?

Israeli teams play in UEFA cup and C.L that doesn't make them European. I was not talking about Ottoman empire but Turkey as a state.

Bulgarians are not Slavs? to be honest i have talked with Bulgarians that told me they are Slavs And you should know that at that time a persons ethnicity was primarily decided by the decent of their father.

Yes, I am Bulgarian and today Bulgarians are considered Slavs.:) There really isn't any difference. During the barbarian invasions both people were of similar origin. They succesfuly united to form one country. At the time of the medeival period Slavic and Bulgarian pagan beliefs bagan to collide so that's why King Boris I adopted Christianity in order to have everyone united under one faith.
"Unity brings power." -Motto of Bulgarian Parliament

Yes I am aware that at the time a person's ethnicity was based on their father's, but we need to have in mind that they considered themselves Bulgarian.

I think the we should see Italy in Civ 5 :clap::clap::clap:

Look back on all the historic events that involved Italy, and her roll in the Renaissance years (though it was not yet united :eek:). She is a member of the G8, and is a world power today.
Though it may be redundant seeing as Rome is already a civ, there are many ways to get around such problems. You could incorporate italy into the roman civ and give it at least some recognition. Or, one of the capitals of either Rome or Italy could be translated into their respective languages (Latin and Italian).

I think Italy deserves at least recognition in Civ 5, just look over everything she has done for history :)

Top Bottom