Civilizations non needed

All of Cuba's importance is tied directly to the USSR. The Cuban missile crisis was not a conflict between the USA and Cuba but rather between the USA and the USSR. As for Israel, well, I suppose I could potentially see a Hebrew civ due to their conquest of Canaan (before they were in turn conquered by Babylon and Assyria). Iraq, though, is best represented by the Arab civ.

Lets make it clear and close it about iraq, Iraq before islam was "Bilad Alrafidin" aka Mesopotamia, it was part of The Sassanid Empire with some parts belong to Byzantine in the north, after the Islamic conquest it became "Arth Al-iraq" aka The Land of Iraq, which where the fourth caliph had his capital Kufah and then the Abbasids founded Baghdad and ruled a huge empire from it, The name Iraq was more like a region name or a province name for the Caliphate, Abbasids, Ottomans which continued with this land even after the indepedence from the british.

Using your logic too would mean there are no countries then. All countries have branched off the others. Im just saying that there couldve been better civilizations chosen besides the aztecs and vikings. Im not bashing them,but im just stating my opinion.

RussianRoulette said:
Using your logic too would mean there are no countries then. All countries have branched off the others. Im just saying that there couldve been better civilizations chosen besides the aztecs and vikings. Im not bashing them,but im just stating my opinion.

No, there would be. They would be civilizations that actually impacted more than 10 years of history. I'm sorry, but your opinion is based on current geopolitics, which you can't do in a game that spans 6000 years.

well it goes directly against what you said. Thered be no America,Koreas,Russian,Iraq,Iran,etc. Iraq (even though Ottoman) impacted many things for more than 10 years. Also if youve noticed ive been talking about many things that span beyond 10 years such as the Aztecs so my opinion expands beyond 10 years sorry.

If you want something to span more than 10 years then why dont we have ethiopia in there? Its said to be the birthplace of all civilizations. Its said to be where everyone came from.

RussianRoulette said:
I understand that the Aztecs made a difference for the spanish when they came for land,but besides that they really didnt do a lot during history.

Ahach, ya well actually, just because greater litterary works on the acounts of generalized and basic histoy don't particularly cover to much of these, guys, and because you, yourself happen to be negligable to the studies of this nation, you don't really have a firm position to say nothing happened to or for these guys since there rise, simply because you've not gone through the lengths to study its' history.

AlCosta said:
So what if Cuba is in the news, they have no impact on the world today or yesterday, except for cigars.

Ha, yeah well that and controversial political-military endeavers :cough: missile crises.
Not to mention the earlier stages of colonization helped to shape the entityship of the modernizing world recovering from the disasterous colonial age.

history books are written by people who have studied history so ive got no clue what youre talking about. What im getting from what you said is i cant judge something because i wasnt there or in that time. Im basing my opinions on the writing of how a scientist or historian wrote about the subject and I have a history book right next to me.

The literary works arent generalized nor basic. I take AP History and for that you need to know a lot of details. Nobody knows exact details of anything except for the person who experiences it. Im drawing my opinions from accounts through which many people believe to be true. Im not saying im an experton those civilizations,but that from what I KNOW i think there could be some other civilizations that changed history in a much larger scale.

RussianRoulette said:
The Aztecs fell by the hands of the spanish early on in the course of history [snip]

If you call the course of history from 4000 B.C.-Present, then the Aztecs fell about 1500AD existing for roughly (if you include the Toltecs, etc., as their predecessors) 5500/6000 years of history=91.66% of history. Cuba as you speak of it (Cuban missle crisis onwards) has existed for about 50 years (since 1959) or .833% of history. Who's more important now? BTW, the Aztecs and Mayans had calenders more accurate than their European counterparts, had invented the concept of zero, and developed large, organized empires, including cities such as Tenotchitlan (sp?) which dwarfed European cities of the time.

Edit: Also, I too have taken AP World (including a 5 on the exam). The details aren't nearly as important as general themes. American civilizations (Incas, Aztecs) prior to European invasion is a theme, the Cuban Missle Crisis is just a detail.

T_Khan said:
had invented the concept of zero

I always thought that the Indians invented the concept of zero.

@Russian Roulette: Cuba is a Vassal State. At the present time their venerable master has let go the leash, but don't be so easily fooled. They will have a new master soon enough.

Bongo-Bongo said:
I always thought that the Indians invented the concept of zero.

Arguments that it was in India, arguments in was in the area now known as the Middle East.

No way to know for sure, nor does it actually matter, does it?*

* Except to settle pointless intraweb debates.

This is a valid argument with an in-valid explaination: ;)
The game clearly chose civs and left out civs, insolently. Firaxis MUST fix thier major historical mistake by returning the Babylonians to the game. For God's sake how could they leave them out, and have barbarians like the Celts and the Mongolians in? let away Korea??? who heard of them in history?
BRING THE MESOPOTAMIANS BACK! people!

Lockesdonkey said:
The Aztecs were the greatest civilization of Mesoamerica. They had cities. They had culture. They were d**n near developing a full writing system. So what if they never had any effect on history? (And oh, did they have an effect...Mexico, despite the Spanish language, is still fundamentally Aztec...And Mexico is 1. the 11th-largest nation in the world by population and 2. a major influence on modern American culture, which in turn is a major influence on world culture) Who are we to say "Well, I think you're a babarian, so you shouldn't be included?"

As for the Vikings: In addition to being the ancestors of the very significant and very civilized Scandinavians (who are none too few on Civfanatics, so beware), they affected history in several ways. First, they conquered a piece of France, and from there, conquered England, and set England on the road that eventually led it to worldwide empire. Second, they rampaged across much of Europe and were a major influence on the policies of most nations in Europe during their formative years in the early Middle Ages; the threat of Viking invasion led to French lords (who were always on the cutting edge of these things) building fortifications that eventually became castles, which in turn meant that the locals were more loyal to their lords than to the king, which in turn led to an institutionalization and entrenchment of feudalism, which in turn led to the entire sorry state of medieval Europe. Third, the Vikings were avid traders and explorers--they were the first Europeans to find America, and they settled Greenland and Iceland. Last, but certainly not least, they founded Russia; looking for trade, they instead became the rulers of local Slavs in Kiev, and eventually led to a unification of Russia.

Quoted for the truth.

RussianRoulette, you're being really ignorant by not listening to other views. You are so fixed on adding Cuba and Iraq, that you are willing disguard any civilization that displeases you.

Karam said:
This is a valid argument with an in-valid explaination: ;)
The game clearly chose civs and left out civs, insolently. Firaxis MUST fix thier major historical mistake by returning the Babylonians to the game. For God's sake how could they leave them out, and have barbarians like the Celts and the Mongolians in? let away Korea??? who heard of them in history?
BRING THE MESOPOTAMIANS BACK! people!
yeah Firaxis, BRING BACK BABYLON!

nooblet maybe you need to read my posts before you take to one side. I clearly stated in several posts that i was just stating there other civilizatiosn that would be better candidates. Nowhere in any of my posts did i actually bash the others by saying oh theyre stupid,they didnt accomplish anything,theyre a horrible race.

By not reading my posts your just being ignorant yourself. Nowhere in any of my posts was I fixed on just adding those two. I gave examples of two nations who I FELT were better candidates as i stated,but you clearly cannot read beyond a sentence or two.

Nobody knows who came up with the concept of 0 and its widely debated. Theres another thing going around about electricity. Some archeologists found that some strange pots in (I believe) present day Iran held enough ingredients inside to conduct an electrical current. Now if their studies of these pots prove to be true then many other things could be debated. Same goes for the calendar. Some even speculate stonehenge to be a calendar. and many other artifacts around the world can be said to be calendars. To say the aztecs invented it is being ignorant because youre taking information from what the Spanish THOUGHT to be the first calendar.

On a higher note yeah Babylon needs to be brought back.Yet another example of a better civilization for the civilization 5.

RussianRoulette said:
nooblet maybe you need to read my posts before you take to one side. I clearly stated in several posts that i was just stating there other civilizatiosn that would be better candidates. Nowhere in any of my posts did i actually bash the others by saying oh theyre stupid,they didnt accomplish anything,theyre a horrible race.

By not reading my posts your just being ignorant yourself. Nowhere in any of my posts was I fixed on just adding those two. I gave examples of two nations who I FELT were better candidates as i stated,but you clearly cannot read beyond a sentence or two.

Since I quoted someone found in the middle of this arguement, it's quite clear that I have read through this thread. Just because I don't agree with your opinions, doesn't mean I haven't viewed both sides.

My point is the fact that you would rather choose Iraq and Cuba over the Vikings and the Aztecs is ridiculous.

Then youre showing favoritism.I stated that they wouldve been better candidates and shouldve been in the game. i didnt say the aztecs should be taken out,but i did say the cubans or others should be in. Clearly you didnt read everything or you just cant understand what I said. This thread was meant to debate what civilizations wouldve made the game more interesting. I stated my opinion so why dont you state yours?

What a strange thread.

Anyways I would like to see some NA tribes brought into game. Ala the apache or something similar.

To be honest, really, I sort of think it was a major goof by firaxis to give 3 russian leaders, two chinese, two american, etc while skipping out on some pretty interesting civs.

Yeah why didnt they have abraham lincoln for america? IMO hes one of the greatest presidents.They have too many leaders and not enough civilizations.

Top Bottom