1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilopedia Help for Ameican Civil War Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Procifica, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Procifica

Procifica ACW Scenario Creator

I know I've posted this in a few different places, but since I've had no responses, I'm going to give it its own thread.

I need some help in writing (or rewriting) civilopedia entries. I've discovered after doing 20 some odd ones, that I'm not very good at it. There are about 150 total (counting the ones I've done so far). I will post the civilopedia.txt file, so those who might be interested in writing at least 1 (even 1 would be a big help) can see what needs to be written and such. I'm not looking for a big windy paragraph for each, just a couple sentences will do.

2. Procifica

3 views in 7 hours...oh well, this was worth a try I suppose. Back to work I go.

3. Procifica

Building entries in civilopedia (except Civ3 defaults) are now complete.

4. Procifica

Why do I even bother...no one ever reads threads started by me anyways, and certainly not one in which I'm asking for any kind of help. As much as I try to help others which need it, no one even bothers to READ any help I ask for, let alone reply.

Maybe I should be like 90% of the rest of the people on this forum, and ONLY reply to my own threads.

This thread has received a total of 7 views other than my own in 21 hours, which has to be the lowest on this forum ever (first 6 pages of this forum, min views=11). Pathetic.

Since no one has even bothered to read my request for help, I don't want any now. No point in me ever asking. Don't anyone expect my help though anymore.

5. pdescobar

pdescobar Moo, baby. Moo.

I think you are misinterpreting the lack of views. The problem is not that the thread was posted by you, nor merely that the thread was asking for help. The problem is that the thread is asking for "Civilopedia help for American Civil War Scenario."

So the people who are likely to view this thread are going to be those who (a) are possibly willing to help with such a mind-numbing task as writing civilopedia entries, and (b) have some fairly detailed knowledge of the American Civil War. I don't expect that to be a particularly large group. Personally, I fail on both counts and only viewed it now because I was curious as to your progress.

6. Procifica

Or Lack of Progress in this regard? Personally, I have "b" but not "a".

I guess maybe next time I post a request, I should make it vague. :)

Progress on the full-release version is in the discussion thread, if you're interested.

7. Procifica

I guess what I'm looking for, is someone who can write descriptive entries. I have the knowledge, if someone is lacking in that. :) I never was perfect in English class.

8. pdescobar

pdescobar Moo, baby. Moo.

Yes, in this case specificity was probably a problem. Being somewhat vaguer would increase the views, but of course views aren't the real goal. Somehow I bet if there was only a single view but it was someone who had whipped up an entire civilopedia for you and posted it, you wouldn't have minded ;)

9. Procifica

No, I wouldn't have minded that, but I wouldn't be expecting that either.

Even if someone could write 1 or 2 civilopedia entries, I'd be happy. :) (most of the buildings aren't really civil-war related, some of the techs aren't really civil-war related either)

10. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Well.
    As a non-american, I don't feel as much for this topic as I might have otherwise. This doesn't mean that I don't care about the finished work.
    AND, as a non-american, I doubt that you would want me to write anything. "Me be non american. Me be drunk on a friday night. Me still on CFC?? Me must be crazy! ;)" My sole Civil War knowledge comes from reading Harry Turtledove books, would this be enough? :eek:
    As a further hamper on my enthusiasm, I think that your scenario is too complex for my computer. Just "think", mind you. I don't know anything.
    If you, regardless of this post, want some help from me, I will download your attachment. Well, see it like this, if I asked for help with a scenario on the "Dackefejden", would you help me?

PS: Dacke was a Swedish rebel in the 16th century, who tried to overtrow the newly elected king Gustav Vasa. He failed.

11. Procifica

If you'd like to help, I'd welcome it. Being non-american doesn't mean anything to me, I'm well-versed on many non-american wars (I know vaguely about Dacke and Gustav Vasa, I remember reading about it somewhere a few years ago). With regard to Sweden, I have some familiarity about their role in the Thirty Years War, and the Great Northern War, among others.

My computer is PIII 750 MHz with 256 MB of RAM and it loads the scenario in about 3 minutes, time between turns about 2 to 5 minutes. Unless your computer is worse than mine, I doubt you'd have any problems running the scenario. No settlers can be built, culture doesn't expand...:)

I'm not familiar with Harry Turtledove, so I can't answer your question regarding that.