Civilopedia incredibly slow

jstop

Chieftain
Just looking for some confirmation that this is normal:

Clicking an entry to load any civilopedia item can take upwards of 11 seconds to appear on the screen

This is on a modern system (16GB ram, modern proc, 4GB video card, SSD)

Just looking for some confirmation that this is normal:

Clicking an entry to load any civilopedia item can take upwards of 11 seconds to appear on the screen

This is on a modern system (16GB ram, modern proc, 4GB video card, SSD)
11 seconds for a 32 bit engine using only a single core and a cap of 2.9GB of memory ram is actually pretty *amn good.

Please do Not expect this 12 yr old single core engine to perform like a new FPS game engine. It just can not do it.

And the v38.5 version does not have a .7 either. That 7 stands for the compression program 7z. And in this vein make sure that the Mod is Named Caveman2Cosmos in the BtS\Mod folder. Not C2C38.5.7, this will and can cause problems.

We also offer a constantly updated Mod thru the SVN from SourceForge. See 1st post in the SVN Changelog thread for instruction on how to set it up. Many many things have been updated, refined, and outright changed since the Official v38.5 Release.

11 seconds for a 32 bit engine using only a single core and a cap of 2.9GB of memory ram is actually pretty *amn good.

Please do Not expect this 12 yr old single core engine to perform like a new FPS game engine. It just can not do it.
Forgotten morning coffee, eh? :sarcasm:

He was talking about sevopedia NOT length of turn processing.
It is almost instantaneous with Toffer's modmod.
That is Toffer's pedia "moves" here like modern FPS :p

Since it is very fast I could remove all tech redundancies in tech and building requirements, check for recosting errors, and make sure, that no building is unlocked before its requirements (Not counting earlier Tech prereqs in buildings with multiple Tech prereqs) pretty quickly.
Other than that was text fixes and some misc changes.

And the v38.5 version does not have a .7 either. That 7 stands for the compression program 7z. And in this vein make sure that the Mod is Named Caveman2Cosmos in the BtS\Mod folder. Not C2C38.5.7, this will and can cause problems.

C2C v38.5 in a.7z is name of archive, where Toffer has his modmod for V38.5.
Its content can be directly unpacked in mod folder.
Essentially it is: Delete UserSettings folder (screenshoot your settings) and unpack modmod directly Caveman2Cosmos folder.

Last edited:
Checking in to the thread with updates:

As stated, I was wrong about my C2C version. It's 38.5, and I mistakenly included in the ".7" due to the 7zip file extension. My bad!

Also wanted to say I did not mention expectations or disappointment of any kind - was just looking for confirmation that what I was experiencing was normal. Got some handy tips in the process, so thanks.

As far as the results, using Toffer's pedia overhaul has resolved the issue, as all my right clicks and other access of Civilopedia now come up in just one second. Huge success! What an amazing mod. I've been hunting wildlife for 2 hours.

Will definitely get on SVN for the latest version. I've played a ton of Cataclysm DDA and the dev version is years ahead of the last "official" release

He was talking about sevopedia NOT length of turn processing.
It is almost instantaneous with Toffer's modmod.
That is Toffer's pedia "moves" here like modern FPS :p
I know exactly what he was talking about, The loading time to get the Civopedia to open. And I do not use Toffer's PPIO modmod.
C2C v38.5 in a.7z is name of archive, where Toffer has his modmod for V38.5.
Its content can be directly unpacked in mod folder.
Essentially it is: Delete UserSettings folder (screenshoot your settings) and unpack modmod directly Caveman2Cosmos folder.
I wish you would really read my replies better....really.:rolleyes:

I know exactly what he was talking about, The loading time to get the Civopedia to open. And I do not use Toffer's PPIO modmod.

I wish you would really read my replies better....really.:rolleyes:
You misread my posts sometimes too :p
And yes, I was unsure if you were talking about pedia or turn processing.

You said it was impossible to make old game to go faster, so I said, that PPIO speeds up pedia a lot.

Also he mistakenly put "7" confusing us both :p

Actually I noticed with PPIO not only does the pedia load faster, but the game goes a little faster.

Actually I noticed with PPIO not only does the pedia load faster, but the game goes a little faster.
Yes, it makes it faster to enter city screen, and to select large unit stacks as well as reduce general micro-stuttering all over the place.
End turn time should also be a bit shorter, but not by much, like 1% faster perhaps.

Also he mistakenly put "7" confusing us both :p
Again he did not confuse me on this. We have had many players, since v38 and v38.5 was put up with the .7z at it's end, confused over the 7z. I have personally explained this to many new C2C players when this came out.

You said it was impossible to make old game to go faster,
Please quote were I said it was impossible?

Please quote were I said it was impossible?
Here:

That's a bit of a stretch there buddy. Comparing a 12 yr old single core engine to a new FPS engine is not saying impossible. You put words in my mouth that I did not say. Bad form really. :nono:

That's a bit of a stretch there buddy. Comparing a 12 yr old single core engine to a new FPS engine is not saying impossible. You put words in my mouth that I did not say. Bad form really. :nono:
I guess you shouldn't have add those words: "It just can not do it." :p
You could say: it can't do by itself currently, and you need PPIO modmod to speed up pedia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom