Civilopedia of Maritime Southeast Asian Civilizations

AessaSH

Warlord
Several days ago, all leaders for Civ VI were revealed. Disappointingly, they are no Southeast Asian Civ in the vanilla.. :cry:

To pass the time, lets submit several ideas for the modder or even Firaxis about SEA civs, shall we..
Full review of SEA civs is too much for me. So for now, I will researching for the SEA archipelago, the least region people know..

==================================================

=====================================
Index
=====================================
Dayak - The Headhunter
Java - The Empire Builder
Malay - The Harbormaster
Moro - The Pirates

The Javanese

================================
Civilization Ability :
================================​
- Bhinneka Tunggal Ika
(Religion Diversity) The official national motto of Indonesia. It is a quotation from an Old Javanese poem in the 14th century Majapahit era, promoting tolerance between Hindus and Buddhists.

- Nusantara
(Coastal Bonuses) A contemporary Indonesian term for the Indonesian archipelago that was taken from an oath by Gajah Mada, in which he vowed not to eat any food containing spices until he had conquered all of Nusantara.

=========================
Leaders :
=========================​
- King Jayabaya of Kediri (reign 1130–1160). The golden age of Old Javanese literature.
(Information Gathering)
Credited for reunification of the Kediri kingdom and later expand it as far as Eastern Indonesia.
Patron of the poets such as Sedah and Panuluh, and he himself is attributed as author of the Prelambang Joyoboyo, a prophetic book.
Famous for his oracles, such as "The Javanese would be ruled by whites (the Dutch) for 3 centuries and by yellow dwarfs (the Japanese) for the life span of a maize plant prior to the return of the Ratu Adil (the Just King)".
Spoiler Illustration :

- Prime Minister Gajah Mada of Majapahit (reign 1329 - 1364c). The largest empire ever to form in Southeast Asia.
(City-States)
As a Bhayangkara, a royal guard of King Jayanegara, he crush the Kuti rebellion that was overtake the capital.
During his appointment as prime minister under Queen Tribhuwana, he took his famous Palapa Oath to conquer the entire known archipelago.
Bringing the empire to its peak of glory during the reign of King Hayam Wuruk, brought most of the Maritime Southeast Asia under Majapahits's suzerainty.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Sultan Agung of Mataram (reign 1613 - 1645). The codification era of Javanese culture.
(Coastal Faith)
Nominated and confirmed as a National Hero of Indonesia for his unification of Java, modernizing reforms, as well as his wars with the Dutch.
The development of cultures are attributed to him, such as the sacred dance bedhaya, Javanese calendar, and important developments in gamelan, wayang, and the royal cult of Goddess of the Southern Sea.
The royal cult of Goddess of the Southern Sea is further developed during his reign.
Spoiler Illustration :

=============================
Unique Units :
=============================​
- Borobudur Ship
(Ocean-Going) The 8th-century sailed vessel depicted in some bas reliefs of the Borobudur, used for trades between Indonesia and Africa and naval campaigns by the Shailendra dynasty of Java.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Legiun Mangkunegaran
(Battle Experience) The first army in Indonesia, established by the King Mangkunegara II and inspired by Napoleon’s Grande Armee.
Spoiler Illustration :

====================================
Unique Infrastructures :
====================================​
- Alun-Alun
(Amenities) A Javanese architectural term for the large central open lawn squares, functioned as centre for public spectacles, court celebrations and general non-court entertainment.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Candi
(Faith) Sacred structures of Hindu and Buddhist heritage, used for religious rituals and ceremonies in Indonesia.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Pendopo
(Production) Common ritual spaces primarily intended for ceremony, and also for a variety of purposes such as receiving guests in the compounds of wealthy Javanese, and even as cottage industry work spaces.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Pesantren
(Housing) Islamic boarding schools originated from traditional Javanese pondokan, dormitories, to learn religious philosophies, martial arts and meditation.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Pura Tirta (Balinese)
(Food) A type of temple that other than religious function, also have water management function as part of Subak irrigation system.
Spoiler Illustration :

The Malays

Civilization Ability :
- Strait of Malacca
(Sea Trade Routes) A narrow water between the Malay Peninsula (Peninsular Malaysia) and the Indonesian island of Sumatra, one of the most important shipping lanes in the world.

- Undang-Undang Melaka
(Policy) The first digest of laws compiled in the Malay world and became a legal resource for other major regional sultanates like Johor, Perak, Brunei, Pattani and Aceh.

Leaders :
- King Sri Jayanasa of Srivijaya (reign 671–702). The expansion of Buddhism.
(Faith Conquest)
Performing Siddhayatra (sacred journey) to acquire blessings and also to conquer neighboring areas such as Jambi, Palembang, Southern Lampung and Bangka island.
A stronghold of Vajrayana Buddhism that attracts pilgrims and scholars included the Chinese monk I Ching, who reports that the kingdom was home to more than a thousand Buddhist scholars.
Several of his inscriptions contains curse for crime, trespassing and treasons against Srivijaya in order to prevent possible uprisings.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Sultan Mansur Shah of Malacca (reign 1459–1477). The enculturation of a Malay identity.
(Great Admiral)
Implemented a policy of expansionism during his rule. Many territories in Peninsular Malaysia and eastern Sumatra and the surrounding islands were under the control of Malacca.
As Melaka experiencing rapid expansion, it requires a office to control its naval forces separately, thus the rank of Laksamana ('grand admiral') was created.
Rulers who have been overthrown also came to Malacca requesting the Sultan's aid in reclaiming their throne. One such examples was Sultan Zainal Abidin of Pasai who was toppled by his own relatives.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Units :
- Orang Laut
(Piracy) A group of Malay people living around Singapore, peninsular Malaysia and the Riau Islands that patrolled the adjacent sea areas, repelling real pirates, directing traders to their employers' ports and maintaining those ports' dominance in the area.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Pendekar
(Self Healing) A Malay word used to refer to or address masters of the martial arts, particularly silat, either officially bestowed by royalty (similar to a knighthood) or unofficially by commonfolk and have mastered every aspect of the art including the forms and techniques, their combat application, internal methods and traditional medicine.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Infrastructures :
- Surau
(Research) An Islamic assembly building in some regions of Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula used for worship and religious instruction.
Spoiler Illustration :

- Rangkiang (Minangkabau)
(Food) A granary or rice barn of the Minangkabau people used to keep rice.
Spoiler Illustration :

The Moro

Civilization Ability :
- Moro Piracy
(Piracy) Because of the continual wars between Spain and the Moro people, the areas in and around the Sulu Sea became a haven for piracy which was not suppressed until the beginning of the 20th century.

Leaders :
- Sultan Muhammad Kudarat of Maguindanao (reign 1619–1671). Opposed the Spaniards who attempted to conquer his land.
(War Allies)
Ruled over his Sultanate of Maguindanao (now Mindanao) in a span of 52 years (1619-1671).
Rallied the other Muslim leaders to maintain their hold on the Islam Faith and to defend their respective enclaves from foreign incursions.
To honor and glorify him, President Ferdinand E. Marcos declared him a national hero to be enshrined in the National Hall of Fame.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Units :
- Moro Proa
(Movement Points) Very fast ships used by the Moro pirates that would prey on merchant ships becalmed in shallow water as they passed through the Sulu Sea.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Infrastructures :
- Bajau Village
(Housing) The boat-dwelling Sama-Bajau of Moro, they kept close to the shore by erecting houses on stilts, and travelled using lepa, handmade boats which many lived in.
Spoiler Illustration :

Good choice in all the fields! Altough I will object at the use of Rangkiang for the Malayan Civs. Not to drag another Indon VS Malay discussion again here, but just as you said, the building is a very Minangkabaunese architechture, not directly a Malayan one. I still believe there are some other options available for the Malay unique building, but Im not an expert at that fields

Spoiler :
A bit out of topic, but me and some other guys are working on Demak for CiV. Art is done, but the code is always been a pain in the behinds. Wish us luck.

How about coming up with more civs to represent the Philippines? I know the mod has Jose Rizal as leader, but I'm more interested in the Filipino history at Spanish contact and before. Perhaps Lakandula can be a leader. or maybe Lapu-Lapu?

Good choice in all the fields! Altough I will object at the use of Rangkiang for the Malayan Civs. Not to drag another Indon VS Malay discussion again here, but just as you said, the building is a very Minangkabaunese architechture, not directly a Malayan one. I still believe there are some other options available for the Malay unique building, but Im not an expert at that fields

Spoiler :
A bit out of topic, but me and some other guys are working on Demak for CiV. Art is done, but the code is always been a pain in the behinds. Wish us luck.

Me too, I'm only know about Malays from the internet, Wiki more specifically.. :lol:

About Minangkabau, it's actually very close to Malays. Even Raffles says it's the cradle of Malays. And another name of Minangkabau's Pagaruyung Kingdom -the origin of that rangkiang's architecture- is Malayupura, "Malay City"..
That's why I'm adding it as a "bonus" for homage..
(actually I want to create a Civ based on Minangkabau, but can't come up with Interesting leader.. :sad:)

Oh, Demak? Do you have a thread for it?

How about coming up with more civs to represent the Philippines? I know the mod has Jose Rizal as leader, but I'm more interested in the Filipino history at Spanish contact and before. Perhaps Lakandula can be a leader. or maybe Lapu-Lapu?
Yup, I'm planning to do it, three civs for Philippine region, Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao..
The problem is to find their unique buildings and units. It sure hard.. :crazyeye:

Any suggestions??

Me too, I'm only know about Malays from the internet, Wiki more specifically.. :lol:

About Minangkabau, it's actually very close to Malays. Even Raffles says it's the cradle of Malays. And another name of Minangkabau's Pagaruyung Kingdom -the origin of that rangkiang's architecture- is Malayupura, "Malay City"..
That's why I'm adding it as a "bonus" for homage..
(actually I want to create a Civ based on Minangkabau, but can't come up with Interesting leader.. :sad:)

Oh, Demak? Do you have a thread for it?

Hm, After rereading again I can see the scope of the civ that you are planning to do. Even later Indonesian researchers conclude that Minangkabau is strong candidate for the start of the modern Malayan ethnic people. However, I still dont sit well with the inclusion of Rangkiang, as it was very exclusive to a certain sub-ethnic only, and not a widespread one. Best I can suggest is to ask directly to anactual malaysian or some sort. Surau is a good one tho, as Malaysia had adopted Islam to be the part of their national ideology.
Just to add, regarding the Malayupura thingy, while in english, it was translated into "Malay City" just like what you said, but in Indonesian, it was more acutely translated as "Kota Malayu"/ Malayu City. Malayu in this context isnt the same as "Melayu" or Malay, but instead refers to a subethnic/tribe of Malayu/Minangkabau. This language difference can be traced probably to the differing understanding about "Melayu" since Malaysia stated in their constitution that Malay is a race, while in Indonesia Melayu is a subethnic/tribe. I think thats just my two cents about why, as an Indonesian, I think Rangkiang is a very specific building, for a very specific subethnic/tribe, not a widespread one. Correct me if Im wrong!
(About Minangkabaunese leader, the first name that surfaced in my mind is Puteri Dara Jingga/Bundo Kanduang. But, considering her history is mixed heavily with local folklore, some people wont accept it very much)

About Demak, the thread is abit out of dated, as whatever progress that was made were moved into PMs.

I would really enjoy a south east asian sea civ! My history on the area isn't very thorough admittedly but i believe that it's quite possible for Firaxis to add in the Maoris. But Indonesia is warranted an inclusion (be it Indonesia or Majapahit)

... However, I still dont sit well with the inclusion of Rangkiang, as it was very exclusive to a certain sub-ethnic only, and not a widespread one. Best I can suggest is to ask directly to anactual malaysian or some sort. ...
Just to add, regarding the Malayupura thingy, while in english, it was translated into "Malay City" just like what you said, but in Indonesian, it was more acutely translated as "Kota Malayu"/ Malayu City. Malayu in this context isnt the same as "Melayu" or Malay, but instead refers to a subethnic/tribe of Malayu/Minangkabau. This language difference can be traced probably to the differing understanding about "Melayu" since Malaysia stated in their constitution that Malay is a race, while in Indonesia Melayu is a subethnic/tribe. I think thats just my two cents about why, as an Indonesian, I think Rangkiang is a very specific building, for a very specific subethnic/tribe, not a widespread one. Correct me if Im wrong!
(About Minangkabaunese leader, the first name that surfaced in my mind is Puteri Dara Jingga/Bundo Kanduang. But, considering her history is mixed heavily with local folklore, some people wont accept it very much)

Well, you're not wrong. We just have different views.
I'm looking it from their history side alone, you're from the current sociopolitical perspective. :D

Also, the fact that Dara Jingga and Bundo Kanduang are the same person is shocking me. So, Bundo Kanduang is not their goddess or something? Must check it later.. :crazyeye:

====================
Update: Adding the Dayak.

The Dayak

Civilization Ability :
- Only Dayaks can kill Dayaks
(Military) Brooke, the White Rajah (king) of Sarawak-Borneo, had many Dayaks in his forces at his campaign to pacify the other Dayaks, and famously said "Only Dayaks can kill Dayaks."

- Ngayau
(Military) In the past, the Dayak were feared for their ancient tradition of Ngayau, or headhunting practices, especially the Dayak Ibans who used to regard human skulls obtained during headhunting raids as their most prized trophy and possession.

Leaders :
- King Rentap of Iban (death 1870). The great resistance of Dayaks.
(City Defense)
Born as Libau Anak Ningkan, was a famous Iban Dayak warrior during the Brooke White Rajah colonization era who was known by his brief praise-name "Rentap Tanah, Runtuh Menua" (briefly referred to as Rentap), in Iban means the "Earth-tremor", "World-shaker".
Rentap’s fort at Bukit Sadok was regarded by the Dayak Ibans as impregnable, protected by the legendary characters, and White Rajah Brooke need to launch three expeditions to conquer it.
His famous slogan, "Agi Idup, Agi Ngelaban" (Still Living, Still Fighting) was a commonly team spirit used by the Royal Malaysian Armed Forces until now.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Units :
- Sumpit Blowgunner
(Ranged) The sumpit or blowgun, typical ranged weapon of the Dayak people, was also used to stab an animal with the tip when the target was found still alive.
Spoiler Illustration :

Unique Infrastructures :
- Sandung
(Faith) During their funeral rites (known as tiwah), the deceased bones are exhumed and cleansed then placed in a special mausoleum, called sandung, where the spirit of the deceased is believed to watch over the village.
Spoiler Illustration :

Well, you're not wrong. We just have different views.
I'm looking it from their history side alone, you're from the current sociopolitical perspective. :D

Also, the fact that Dara Jingga and Bundo Kanduang are the same person is shocking me. So, Bundo Kanduang is not their goddess or something? Must check it later.. :crazyeye:

====================
Update: Adding the Dayak.

She isnt a goddess, thats for sure. Bundo Kanduang is the term used for the current head/respected matriach of a Minangkabau family. In short, its a title (Bundo Kanduang can be loosely translated as "Blood Mother"). The woman ruler in the Minangkabaunese history is probably the originator or the first women to attain this title, and her real name might be or might not be Dara Jingga.

I like the Dayak. The sumpit as a general Unique Unit is nice, and maybe the Headhunter Unique Unit can be attributed to a leader or somesort.

She isnt a goddess, thats for sure. Bundo Kanduang is the term used for the current head/respected matriach of a Minangkabau family. In short, its a title (Bundo Kanduang can be loosely translated as "Blood Mother"). The woman ruler in the Minangkabaunese history is probably the originator or the first women to attain this title, and her real name might be or might not be Dara Jingga.

I like the Dayak. The sumpit as a general Unique Unit is nice, and maybe the Headhunter Unique Unit can be attributed to a leader or somesort.
Ah sorry, I'm confusing her with Sunan Ambu. They both have "Mother" in their name.. :crazyeye:

Noted! :D

Top Bottom