1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilopedia offline?

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by c0pr4x, Dec 19, 2012.

1. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

I will like to know if it is possible to see the civilipedia of C2C on the net or without being in the game?

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

As far as I know, no. However in my signature I have some helpful links like the tech tree and culture requirements. Not to mention you could always view the code inside the mod itself without loading the mod. That's assuming you can read the code.

3. c0pr4x

c0pr4x Warlord

Alright. Thanks ;)

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The main problem with having the pedia offline is the graphics. I did manage to do the text way back but then you need to convert all the graphics into another format for display.

5. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

The old XML scanner Koshling had could theoretically read the gamefont files to get graphics into its output.

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

However the archer button and the archer unit for example are not in the game font file but show in the pedia. Same for all the promotions the archer can get, what it upgrades to, tech needed to build it etc. etc. etc. ;)

7. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

I think it would be great benefit for players if you create offline pedia even if it would be text version only. C2C developed so many new concepts and ideas, and the content is so extent that it would be great help if we have a such a thing. It is not so easy to find time to play, not to mention to read pedia, while playing ;)

8. Pin

Pin Chieftain

Here is a first attempt for automatic generating an offline pedia.

Basically it takes the desired language for the text-entries, if they are empty -> substituting with english ones. Adding the complete entry of the source.

things to improve:
    - performance
    - enabling crossreferences / searching also origin folders ? finding out where the missing entries come from
    - refining the patterns
    - graphics / access to dds files / tga-fonts ?
    - reliable formatting of entries (like substituting the colors and [BOLD] and such) in a performant manner without messing up the file because of incorrect closed tags
    - difference between "corefiles" and "modules" ... is it that easy as just selecting the correct XML/Modules folder or is there more to consider ?

Is such useable for the offline pedia or should it be completely else ?

Attached Files:

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If this is to be useful, I would suggest as a start a contents page. Since it is html you are producing the content entry should link to the entry page. I suggest the name from the type tag as the link name because that will make further extension possible.

I would also suggest a "frame" which contains a link back to the contents page. In the future that frame could contain links to other documents assuming you are going for one document per XML at the moment.

This may also be useful when you convert the [LINK=...] [/LINK] pairs as they are just the same as html links in function.

It is not that simple unfortunately. We use the "World of Civilization" XML standard (WoC) to update, add to and replace the XML entities in the core files. These are optional and are controlled by elements in the XML for dependencies on other entities and due to game options. They are also controlled by the "Modular Loading Control" system (MLF) which provides a way of saying which modules folders are loaded in what order and if they should be loaded or not. This means that everyone's version of C2C may be different so releasing the program to create the html may be required in the long run.

There is a third type, a C2C type of option, that I have not gotten my head around. Thunderbrd may be able to explain what to do as far as this document is concerned

With dependencies there are two types
    • AND Dependencies - this bit of XML will only update the core XML if these entities are in the game
    • Game Option Dependencies - this entity will only be in the game if that Game Option is on/off

Most of that can be looked at in a simple way for the purposes of this documentation. After all we are not coming up with code here
    1. Use the MLF to determine the order that modules are loaded
    2. If a module is off either ignore it or document it as an optional MLF change
    3. If there is a game option dependency indicate it is on/off
    4. And Dependencies - indicate that this change only applies when they are true

These are just suggestions.

10. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Thanks this helps alot! Would it be possible to do one for buildings?

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, I'll try to help with that in a bit here.