Civius' Clubs

Lord Civius

Emperor
As you approach a small hut the smell of fresh woodcutting is bold in the air. A tall man stands at the door with a finely carved pipe in his mouth. "Welcome great citizens of Hibernia and visitors from beyond our borders. I am Civius, Master of woodworking, may I interest you in one of my Clubs? I am in need of square stones so I will barter."

Big Club (10 square stones each)
Weighs as much as a small man and is nicknamed "the Negotiator".

Medium Club (3 square stones each)

Small Club (2 square stones each)

Warrior Club (5 square stones each)
This is not your standard issue war club.

Walking Stick (1 square stone each)

If nothing here catches your eye I can make you a personal club.

Cyc approaches a small hut towards the end of town. He sees a tall man standing in the doorway who beckens Cyc with a speel about clubs for barter. Cyc, being a tall man himself, stood eye to eye with the craftsman.

"Greetings, Civius. I am Cyc. I'm about to hit the road on a long journey into unknown territory. I'm thinkin' maybe one or two of your fine clubs might come in handy. I like your medium club, the fancy warrior's club, and of course a walking stick. But I'm not sure what size square stones you require. Are they like squarish stones for a decorative walkway? Or maybe ones you can hold in one hand? Flat and square? Or square on all sides? And do you have an extra pipe?"

I watched as a large man approached my hut. I raised my Big Club in a warriors salutation. "Cyc!" It was my old friend. I handed him a pipe and invited him inside.

As I loaded his clubs into a large sac he inquired into what kind of stones I was seeking. I explained to him that I wanted to build a structure out of stones. I'd noticed that each day the mud on my feet was caked on so hard I'd have to beat it off with a small club. I needed large square stones roughly the same size. I would put a layer of good Hibernia mud between each stone and let the great fire in the sky dry it.

The two men did the traditional handshake and went inside. Cyc remembered Civius as being professional, a quick mind with a strong back. Wandering around the smll hut, Cyc enjoyed the smell of processed wood while Civius played businessman. Civius had interesting things in his hut. Ah, Cyc found a stash of leaf to put in his new pipe and lit it with a burning twig. Then he stopped and listened while Civius described this structure made of stone and clay. "I like that idea. You could build a very solid structure that way. One capable of withstanding strong pressure. Hmm. I do have a pile of those type of stones, 16 stones as a matter of fact, that you're welcome to use. They are extras from my road building project. I left them over where the Leader dwells. I believe they are callin' it the Palace or something like that. But you're welcome to them."

Civius handed the sac to Cyc, slapping him on the shoulder and thanking him.

"Tell me, Civius. How is the beautiful Marilyn? It's been so long since I've seen you. You're even sporting a beard now. "

Civplayah went in, and in old age, had no use for a club. Just as he was about to leave, though, he saw they had walking sticks.
"Can I have two walking sticks, please?" Civplayah handed him two small, square stones. Then, civplayah reached inside his pocket again and got a fair-sized stone out. "A tip," he explained.

I thanked the gentlemen for their business and began putting the stones to use. It was trial and error but eventually I built a solid wall as tall as me. I spent an entire day beating the wall with my big club until I was sure it was sturdy. Now I must acquire more stones. After much thought I closed up shop and headed to see Cyc. On the long walk I couldn't help but think of the beautiful Marilyn.....

Top Bottom