CivIV: Diplogame - Development Thread

Of we want a map mad we will have to get a couple of people to collaborate to make sure it is balanced.

Atleast give me Epic. I never play on standard speed. Technology progresses much to quickly compared to how fast we can deploy and fight with units. A war can take a few hundred years! That isn't at all realistic!

It's quality over quantity. You should be able to stay competitive with 1-2 stories per week (or however long a session is)

With Seron that is 7. 10+ would be optimal but we have enough to start whenever we get all the details worked out.

Right now the settings (based on most popular options) are:
Map: Terra
Misc: No tribal huts, no random events, limited religions
Turns: Marathon
Game Type: PBEM
Victories: Time (+rp scoring)
RP scoring: The person with the most votes gets rp points equal to the average gain in score

When everyone agrees on the settings I'll start a new thread

You do know that mayor and I both said the same things, which no one has objected too, but you have made a presumption of non-popularity based on, wait for it, silence. I would hazard a guess that silence does not indicate lack of popularity rather than people agreeing, or at least not caring about the propositions. Now in that consideration your thing looks eerily like a simple presentation of your own personal favourite settings over any actual measure of what people have said.

Now ignoring that slight problem I will propose the following.

Map: Terra
Misc: No tribal huts, no random events,
Turns: Epic
Game Type: PBEM
Victories: Time, Conquest, Culture (+rp scoring)
RP scoring: The person with the most votes gets rp points equal to the average gain in score

notes: random civs, or selected civs?

-

If anyone has any strong objections, voice them or forever hold your peace.

Also what is peoples opinions on random civs? I favour them as does mayor, Dot thus far as I can tell and Tambien are opposed. It would be good for other people to make clear their opinions so we can discern the dominant opinion on this matter.

If you are talking about the victories, I assumed you conceded to my argument about the scoring when you said you wouldn't argue the point. And I'm sorry I can't base the settings on what people are thinking, I was taking into account only what people said. To me silence = indifference. I am fine with all the settings then.

I'm fine with Epic Speed. And I'm indifferent about random civ's; I really don't mind either choice.

If you are talking about the victories, I assumed you conceded to my argument about the scoring when you said you wouldn't argue the point. And I'm sorry I can't base the settings on what people are thinking, I was taking into account only what people said. To me silence = indifference. I am fine with all the settings then.

Well no, I just said I wouldn't argue the point which is something completely different from saying, "I am converted and believe that time alone is true victory". I wasn't even arguing the point then, I just slotted them in with the things myself and mayor mentioned which you forgot to include. Your the one who brought it up ;)

Oh and I understand that you cant make policy on what people are thinking. It just irritated me slightly that you seemed to have ignored what had been said by those who did say things.

I'm also indifferent as to random civs. Epic sounds fine for speed, and Time/Conq/Culture sound like the right VCs.

If it changes anyone's mind, I'll give up the Brits for the French and let someone else choose them.

I still want random civs/leaders...

(meaning I want a random civ and a random leader)

I'll vote unrestricted leaders

I still want random civs/leaders...

(meaning I want a random civ and a random leader)

I'll vote unrestricted leaders

repetition gets you nowhere ;), unrestricted leaders is a bit, well ridiculous to my mind. The main reason I would like random civilisations is to ensure that peiople don't just go with what they are familiar with and take a shot at whatever they are give (just like they should in RL i would add). Unrestricted leaders just makes the whole situation look rather bizzarre, I mean it may be good for gameplay purposes, but for RP I just can't get my head over the possibility of Montezuma ruling the English for example.

Now if random civs (not random leaders) happens, It would be great. Chance and adaptability is a good thing. Now if it doesn't due to majority opposition then as previously mentioned, I reserve the glorious Sapa Inca, Huayna Capac of the great empire of Tahuantinsuyu. (I claim the Inca Empire)

I'll cave, there is no point postponing the game for days. Fingers crossed I get a good civ to rp.

So be it, I suppose your starting the email cycle with your turn now then?

EDIT: As of last count we have 8 people.

You
me
Mayor
Tam
Lord Nwah
Yoshiegg
General Olaf
Seron

Well I was going to make an official thread for all the RP first. Also we need emails.

EDIT: Everyone needs to send me their emails via pm. The game will start when I have them all.

Also we just want a standard size map right?

About the RP, So everyone has a better idea check out this diplogame on apolyton for inspiration and example.

Ok then, we should make an order and then we can send our emails to the person who will pass the save on to us.

So if we go by the list I did before.

You
me
Mayor
Tam
Lord Nwah
Yoshiegg
General Olaf
Seron

You would give seron your email, I would give you mine, and mayor would give me his and so on and so forth. Do you agree to that? [edit: we could always put at the top of the list people who are online now, to get the game going relatively quickly, so switch mayor with General Olaf perhaps]

Then if you agree to that, I can send you my email, and you can establish the thread to allow the game to begin and run your turn.

You probably missed my edit, I went to test out how it starts and I can input everyone's email on in the game lobby, and I think it will do it automatically. (never played PBEM before)

EDIT: Checked again and we can either manually send it (it will save to PBEM folder and we just attach it to an email), or I can input everyone's email+SMTP servers and it will automatically send it.

The autosend thing is useful if you can get it to work, but IPs can cause problems.

Also, I use olafpbem@gmail.com for this kinda stuff :mischief:

Top Bottom