1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Try copying over the CvPath.py from p4a then, or try using CvPath.py.aug6 instead. Just get rid of the ".aug6" part after renaming CvPath.py to something else.

2. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

There were some errors in the 275BC map. Here is a working version:

Attached Files:

3. Sir DOC

Sir DOC Chieftain

I first tried renaming using the 6aug python file, and no change. Then I used your new 275 BC map, and the crash went away. Thanks for your quick reply.
    Still, thre 200 AD scenario starts at year 274 BC, and techs to discover are those for the 275 BC scenario. The map is displayed properly as the one for 200 AD.

4. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Better, but without the python the game can't be played. What is in PythonDbg.txt? The problem is when CyPath.py is looking for the $mod.ini file.

This is the relevant part from mine:

Spoiler :
    installDir
    D:\civ4\Warlords

assetsPath
    [u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\Assets', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\Assets', u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\CustomAssets', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\Assets']

load_module Tester

CvPath.assetsPath
    [u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\Assets', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\Assets', u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\CustomAssets', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\Assets']

filenames
    [u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\RFRE.ini', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\Mods\\RFRE\\RFRE.ini', u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\herbert kornfeld\\My Documents\\My Games\\Warlords\\RFRE.ini', u'D:\\civ4\\Warlords\\RFRE.ini']

PY:Initializing Tester
    PY:CvRFREevents initialized

The "PY:CvRFREevents initialized" part says the RFRE code was initialized.

I don't use any of the data from the ini file. It's only there cause there was no good reason to get rid of it. Well.. maybe there is! Still, what is different that is causing problems???

5. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Here is some new python which gets rid of CvPath, CvConfigParser, and the calls to them. For the folks (eg Sir DOC, Ajidica) who where seeing CvPath bomb, this is for you. For anyone for which the python was working this won't change anything.

1. Delete the existing python dir
    2. unzip the file from the Assets dir (so that RFRE.beta1p5/Assets/Python exists)

Starting with a map will always give 1-2 popups right away. If not.. there is still a problem with the python..

Please let me know if this works.

Attached Files:

6. Sir DOC

Sir DOC Chieftain

I'm happy to say that I replaced the Python folder with the new one you posted, and now the set up of the 200 AD seems to be fine (I did get that pop-up you were mentioning, which was not showing up before).

Thanks a lot!

7. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Great! So has anyone played till 300AD or so yet?

I'm taking a break from this to whip out "Escape From Zombie Island 3: Now in 3D". I've accumulated most of the units already, so it won't take too much longer.

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Havent actualy played the new python file yet. Ive been a bit busy with school and my own mod. I'll give it a go later this week.

9. D'zilas

D'zilas Chieftain

I Played the RFRE mod for CivIII many times And it was outstanding! I downloaded and installed the latest version of RFRE for warlords updataed revolution mod and even replaced the python file and the mod satill crashes. I am very unfamiliar with xml, python etc.... so don't know what to do wrt this. Am I sol? It would be freaking outstanding to play RFRE warlords! Also I did search the thread for crashes and it wasn't much help. It seems most posters are much more tech savy than me! Any help for a novice? :confused:

Waited a month to try again with a new(?) version of RFRE still no luck..... I have a new install of everything, running most recent patches (inc.warlords 2.13) but the mod crashes when it is loading/initializing (loading map?). You as a group can get mad at me for saying this but why is running this mod so problematic? I know this is a very indepth mod and all but other mods (mabey not so complex?) load and run just fine. Am I just too impatient in not waiting out the development phase (as if it ever ends)? Don't get me wrong I a very appreciative to you guys for spending your valuable free time on this project but will there ever be a close to idiot-proof version for us non programmers to play?

10. Ajidica

Are you playing with patch 2.13? Also, how exactly does it crash? Do other mods on your comp work? Have your cleared your custom assets or chache? (If you dont know how to do this, it is under Mygames/civ4/Warlords. Then click on the shortcuts.)

11. Ajidica

pstew: I just got around to downloading it and tried the 200AD scenario. It is AWSOME! Havent played that far, I am about to get crisis of the third century. You did an awsome job balencing it. It has the feel of mismangement of the empire (with that many cities, I am too lazy to MM), declining dominance (Rome is still powerful, but fairly evenly matched with barbs), and sheer awsomeness. It feels like a port of Rome: Barbarian Invaision but better.

Any tips on surviving the crisis of the 3rd century besides following history (except for Honorius and Arcadius)?

12. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Thanks, but I'm sure it can use more work! There is quite a bit happening outside of a normal game.

Knowing the history is probably the best preparation there is ;) That and playing through 1 or 2 times!

First off you have to build out the economic buildings, but maybe not so much in the areas that will rebel. Some of them can build wealth since you'll likely lose those buildings anyway. With enough of these, and some pruning of the military (catapults/ballistas are quick to build and costly to maintain) you can keep from running out of money, but it should dip pretty low :eek: There is a huge rebound in the economy when all of the trade routes double in value... I haven't figured out how to stop that, but it is after the crisis.

Build mercenary legions when they become available. They are cheap to maintain. The imperial legions (10 combat) can't be replaced after the first few turns. They are costly to maintain at +3gpt, but keep them around. They can be building roads that you will need, and their 10 combat + city attack bonus will be desperately needed to put them empire back together.

Note that heavy infantry doesn't work well against Persia. Cavalry is a must in the provinces around there. Don't make the same mistake that almost every Roman invader did!

You have freedom of sea travel for the most part to re-arrange units. The biggest threat to "mare nostrum" will be when the Goths show up. Constantinople is the natural place to try to stop them. If they break through the infantry will have weakly defended cities to attack, and the ships will likely run around pillaging all your fishing boats!

13. Ajidica

I realized that Imperial Legions are important. Unfortunatly I relized that after 2 had died in Dacia (might want to give Dacia a conquerable city or slightly reduce the roman army there) and one died in Britian. I do know a fair bit about the fall of rome, unfortunatly I know 'to' much, I know the big picture, but get caught up in the small scale stuff. It also feels like an impending crisis with having only Imperials and a few praets as your only offensive army. Miles Auxillaries are worthless except in def. I am also loving what you did with britain, wealthy enough to keep a military force their but the military force is expensive enough to make you question its nescesity.
    How do you handle the split? Do you choose if you rule the East or the West?

14. Ajidica

I am currently in 270 and I have suffered both the Gallic and Palmyrean revolt. wow. I am really glad I am only 7 turns away from Diocletians Reforms. I had never realized that the palmyreans ever revolted against rome. Also, you might want to set it so that Persia invades palmyrea so that persia becomes much larger. Generaly it required the presense of two feild armies to dominate the frontier. Do you have any other scenarios planned?

15. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> Dacia

My understand is that when Trajan "defeated" the Dacians, he never took over the whole county. The part that remained was finally subdued with the help of the.. Langobards? This is why they are unconquerable.

I'm sure you noticed the higher concentration of troops along this front. It was always difficult to hold. The miles aux and cohors equatia should be able to hold on till some Vexillatio arrive to restore the situation.

> Palmyra

I'm not sure what all they "conquered", or who just allied with them. Note that you don't have to slog through lots of cities like vs the Gallics, just burrow through to Palmyra. They also have the Clibinarius (so do the Persians and Armenians), so be sure to bring an appropriate force!

Persia supported Palmyra, but I don't think it was an alliance. I give them good attitudes toward each other, but that is all that is forced.

For the most part I've only read a lot of wikipedia articles, so if someone has any corrections things can be changed. Sometimes there are conflicts between different articles on what happened :/

> more scenarios?

A scenario is just a map and python support. For the 200AD scenario I cleaned up the code to support such things, so at least that part will be easier next time.

100BC is a good start too. The Jugerthine War and the Cimbri War are happening then, quickly followed by the Social War, Spartacus, and Caesar's invasion of Gaul. Maybe a smaller map zooming in on this area would be appropriate?

The Hispania conquest could be a mod for Colonization!

> split
    The Western is the new civ. There is only a placeholder for this right now.

16. Ajidica

Thanks. I just thought that mabye Persia should get a few Palmyrean cities to make them more of a force. This is a flaw with many Fall of Rome scenarios, even if most of Romes army is far away, the AI only looks at actual power. For information, I read a book called 'Fall of the WEst' or something like that by Peter something. I can check it out. Another good source that is lighter but less focused on the 'fall' of Rome is 'Byzantium: The Early Centuries' by John Julius Norwich.

On the split: So I would take over the Eastern Empire? Or is the split not working?

Also, I am free all next week so is there any art you would like?

17. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> new art?
    Do the Vandals need a UU (different art at least)? They're basically Germanics, so it wouldn't be out of place to just use the same art for them.

What is missing most from RFRE is variety in naval units.

Really what I need is art for EFZI3. Zombie nurse :eek: Take the nurse from Rise of Mankind (and others?), zombify her and replace the med kit with a severed body part, like a head!

> split
    I suppose it's possible to make the West playable, but there isn't much hope for them.

> AI war
    Yeah, this has always an issue with RFRE.

In civIII the solution was to spawn units regularly that had 99 attack, 1 def (though def didn't matter), and are immobile. The Roman garrisons were skewed the other way, 1attack/5defense. The AI thinks it has sufficient ratio of attack:defense (movement isn't considered), and goes to war.

In civIV we can just force war in python. IIRC the AI is always looking for a sustained 2:1 advantage when summing iCombat. With Rome being so big, it just doesn't work out. This is why the Germanics never attack :cry:

As you noted what would be better is if it only summed iCombat within some distance from itself. A workable solution may be to write some python to do exactly this. Only certain civs would run this routine (it will increase IBT time some). The Germanics, =(late era) Persians, and maybe the Huns. It could look within maybe 15 plots of it's border and sum iCombat. With this there is a 10% chance of declaring war. The chance would increase over time, and there would be a "cool down" period that is initially long, but decreases over time. It would be run at the begging of their turn.

This would almost *force* you to keep the borders manned, which is a very historical to be doing :goodjob: The numbers would need tweaking, and certainly some other re-balancing too, but it is the right thing to do, so I'll give it a try and we'll see what the damage is :D

18. Ajidica

Doing the Zombie Nurse would be hard considering that I can change models at all. I only have nifskope and I dont think it can change models. I would be interested in doing some germanics. Considering that the only germanics you have are fantasy Vikings. The python icombat would be very nice and it wouldnt be that OP considering that 15 moves is quite a distance. Perhaps if the AI declares war this way they can get some free units so they dont spend time building up an army. If my knowledge of the AI is correct, they only start building units in excess of a 'home guard' when they have decided to go to war. This might mean that the AI would be weak if it declared war this way.

I feel the idea has merit and it might be nice to persue it. You might want to only make it trigger if an empire is big enough or it can be just rome.

19. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Ok.. there is a new variable "GermanicCoolDownCounter" that gets decremented very turn. In the 275BC scenario it is set to 190 (ie expires around 6BC), and in the 200AD it is set to 12 turns. When peace is declare it gets set to 20. This does imply that if you go to war with the germans in 200BC, they will be a threat once you move into the area (since this code only cares about the region around Colonia Agripina and Vindoboda).

On the first turn, the debug string prints:
    PY:local strength debug: gerStr 197 romLocalStr 377 ratio 0.522546410561 romanCityFound1 1

So at least initially you are safe from attack, but the Germanics will get stronger, and you will pull forces away..

The python is attached. Just overwrite the existing rfre.py. Note that a new game must be started since there is a counter that will be wrong (and a missing data) if not started from the beggining.

I've debugged it, but haven't played a scenario yet.

Code:
            #### decide if the Germanics should invade:
            self.rfreScriptData = pickle.loads( gc.getGame().getScriptData() )
    	val = self.rfreScriptData['GermanicCoolDownCounter']
    	self.rfreScriptData['GermanicCoolDownCounter'] = val - 1
            gc.getGame().setScriptData( pickle.dumps(self.rfreScriptData) )
            if (gc.getPlayer(self.iGermaniaID).isAlive()):
                   pGermanic = gc.getPlayer(self.iGermaniaID)
                   pGermanicTeam = gc.getTeam(pGermanic.getTeam())

if ((not pGermanicTeam.isAtWar(self.iRomanID)) and self.GermanicCoolDownCounter <= 0 ):
                       gerStr = 0
                       py = PyPlayer(self.iGermaniaID)
    	           for pUnit in py.getUnitList():
    		           gerStr += pUnit.baseCombatStr()

if ( gerStr >= 175 ):
    	               (val1,romanCityFound1) = self.sumRomanCombatFromPoint(28,47,8)
    	               (val2,romanCityFound2) = self.sumRomanCombatFromPoint(40,42,8)
    		       romLocalStr = val1 + val2
    		       if ( romLocalStr > 0 ):
    		           ratio = float(gerStr)/float(romLocalStr)
    	               else: 
    		           if ( romanCityFound1 or romanCityFound2 ):
    			       ### Romans have cities, but no units??  attack them!
    		               ratio = 10
    		           else:
    		    	       ### no Roman units or cities. We have won, hooray for us!
    		               ratio = 1

CvUtil.pyPrint('local strength debug: gerStr %s   romLocalStr %s  ratio %s  romanCityFound1 %s' %(gerStr,romLocalStr,ratio,romanCityFound1) )
                           iRand = self.getRand(9)
    		       if ( iRand == 0 ):
                                pGermanicTeam.declareWar(self.iRomanID, false)

Attached Files:

20. Ajidica

If I am correct in understanding this, once it hits 0 the germans will invade? Cool. A thing that might make this more cool if it can be done is putting a pop-up when it gets really low and you can temporarily raise it by bribing them. The ROmans did alot of bribing of barbarian tribes. This could also be included for Dacia and some other tribes.