1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

The final check is if iRand == 0. iRand is an integer from 0 to 9, so a 1 in 10 chance of war each turn while the Germanics have a 40% strength advantage over the regional Roman forces AND the coolDown counter has expired AND the Romans still own a city in the region of interest AND the Germanics have to strength over 175. The code strings out the logical conditions for computational efficiency ;)

> bribes
    I'd like it to be used as is first, and you don't have the money during this period to pay off anybody :b So lets see how balance goes with this added to the mix.

Bribes many indeed be part of the later game. The tech "Alliance with the Franks" brings the Franks into the game as your vassal, but they won't remain your vassal for very long. I don't know how later alliances will play out. Maybe bribes will be part of it?
    Certainly for the Huns it should be, but I don't know if a special mechanism is needed.

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

wow. Alot can be done with python. This sounds really cool. Once you have this implemented fully, you really should release it as a modpack or a scenario.

3. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

It needs some play testing first.

If it's too difficult now there will be some balancing to do such as adding more economic buildings to the scenario start. The Germanics aren't too much of a worry, but once they start building those Bellator Loricati (12 combat) after 225 they become far more dangerous. Maybe that unit is too strong?

4. Ajidica

Hmm. It will depend on how many the germans build and when they start. I think it will be fine. I'll abandon my current game and try out the germanic counter if you arent anticipating any save-breaking further updates. I hate having to restart a game. Sorry I havent gotten around to finishing the game or making unit art. I just got the game Sins of a Solar EMpire and have had my time consumed by that. Any germanic units you want to see redone or should I just choose randomly. Also, dont know if you saw but Chuggi made some nice germanic/celtic/slavic warriors and spearmen and bernie24 put out alot of nice germanic units a while ago. I'll try out a gothic/germanic swordsman/spearman to see how good I am at them.

5. Ajidica

Another small bug I noticed:
    Schola (library-esque building) gives reasearch. This is a bit useless considering all reasearch is done by python. You might want to change it to something else.

EDIT: The unit that I am trying is a Gothic/Germanic Noble Spearmen. Hope to get some Gothic Avernigi done.

6. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Rats, the earlier code had bugs. I played this one through till 300AD.

Attached is the fixed code, and it also fixes the substantial pause when the Gallic Empire is defeated.

The Germanics finally attacked on turn 335. Unfortunately for them both the Gallic and Palmyrene successions have *just* been put down. Combat loses have been light so far due to a long stretch of good luck. The odd part about this is without many loses the army costs too much to maintain. I went into STRIKE status for about 6 turns. Only conquest gold kept units from being disbanded.

> unit art
    Feel free to improve whatever looks like it needs improving ;)

Attached Files:

7. Ajidica

I'll just wait until you have the python code at a place that you really like then I'll download it. As an idea, how about a scenario starting at 450 AD going unitl the arab invaision. This can let people use the late game units and you can have Justinians Reconquest. I understand that this is fairly low priority now and that you want to get as much of the code done as possible.

8. Ajidica

Here is the Gothic Comitatus/Spearmen. I think I may have gone a bit overboard using the airbrush fuction in GIMP on the armour.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10939

I looked through the art and noticed some thing:
    There is a slinger unit in warlords, why dont you use that for the slinger?
    Surena, Devotio, Falxman, and Tarbostes have the wrong animation.
    For the Iberian Mtd Javilineer, I made a Javilineer Cavalry. You can find in in the New Art thread in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles forum. If it looks to much 'spanish' instead of barbarian, I can change it.
    There is a spy in BTS that would look better than te current one. There are also some nice ethnic units in BTS that werent used that would look nice. I'll do some more unit art.

9. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> Javiineer Cavalry

Estalian Jinites?

I like the Goth's shield :goodjob:

I tried to map the Px (as seen on the Byzantine flag in BtS) to the Comitanses. It looks odd since the Px isn't symmetrical, but the dds is. That might make for a good unit to redo.

> spy art
    There is certainly better art available. I think RoM has a good unit.

> arabs
    The mod could be extended some, but it's a pretty big time window already.

A RFRE version of the "Byzantine Re-Conquest" would be nice. This time with appropriate civs and units!

10. Ajidica

The Reconquest was just an idea. Its just that I find Justinian one of the most impressive emperors.
    Yes, the Estalian Jinites is the Javilin Cavalry. Estalia is the equivilant of spain in WHFB.

On the Px on the Comitatenses shield: I feel you should use a XI (I is angle bisector of the acute angle in X). The Px was the Labarum and IIRC, only the emperor or a ceaser could carry it into battle. IT was never on a shield. Look at the Comitatenses and Limitani in RTW:BI for what I mean.

EDIT: Im finished with my gothic heavy cavalry. You can find it in the same place as my spearman.
    EDIT2: I also finished my Gothic Freemen Spearmen. The glossmap makes it look a bit odd though.
    EDIT3: You can find all of my further units here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295590

11. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

I added in the Goth units (except the MtdComitatus) ;) They are just copies of the corresponding unit, but with different art and a lower hammer cost.

12. Ajidica

For my next set of units, would you prefer more cavalry or infantry? I'm asking this because the only reason I was able to get so many units done is that I was on break this week.

EDIT: I came up with an idea while I was skinning units (doing the armour can be repetative, the mind wanders).
    My first idea is the simplest: What about adding tax collectors as a late roman unit? Justian employed many tax collectors (logothetes) and they were important in securing his empire. Their abilites could be as follows: +2 gold if in a city, -1 food (show population was being heavily taxed) and in 2+ are in a city, moderate to high chance of revolt. The units can be limited. Since the game is from the Roman perspective, the AI wont have to be taught how to use the unit.

13. Sir DOC

Sir DOC Chieftain

A couple of things I've noticed while playing the 200 AD scenario:

- Mertacus only seems to be providing a +10% gold, the base value. It looks like additional bonus from resources are not applied (or at least, only the 10% shows when hovering with the mouse over the total amount of gold produced in a city).

- Pedia says that Munitors are able to chop down forests. I think they do so when building forts, but they don't have the option of doing it as an "independent" action (that is, just chopping the forest, without building anything). Is that intended?

Thanks,

Sir DOC

Edit: Mertacus do provide their bonus for resources, my mistake. My confusion was because they apply the bonus directly to trade instead of applying it to gold (although in this scenario where gold is set to 100% it does not make much of a difference).

14. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

There are 2 types of forests. They can only chop the "Forest" kind. Along the northern border there are lots of Dense Forest plots. The Germanics gain some extra advantage from from combat in dense forests.

Did you try with the latest python? I think this adds the last missing part of the 3rd century, a war with the Germanics. Only if you don't keep the border manned that is!

15. Sir DOC

Sir DOC Chieftain

No, I haven't tried the new addition. In any case, I keep the frontier manned (more less the same troops available at the beggining) and I have not played for long, yet (252 AD so far - lot of MM and not much free time from my side :) ).
    Currently building some Mercenary legions to replace Miles Auxiliarii.

I've noticed that there is a huge difference in maintenance costs between regular units and roman presidium units. Are these not considered military units for the maintenance cost calculations?

Edit: Is it possible to reduce the defense % of barbarian cities (i.e. non-roman cities, like those of Decebal)?

16. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia
    Spoiler :
    "Although the Romans conquered and destroyed the ancient Kingdom of Dacia, a large remainder of the land remained outside of Roman Imperial authority. Additionally, the conquest changed the balance of power in the region and was the catalyst for a renewed alliance of Germanic and Celtic tribes and kingdoms against the Roman Empire. However, the material advantages of the Roman Imperial system wasn't lost on much of the surviving aristocracy. Thus, most of the Romanian historians and linguists believe that many of the Dacians became Romanised (see also Origin of Romanians).

Nonetheless, Germanic and Celtic kingdoms, particularly the Gothic tribes made a slow progression toward the Dacian borders and soon within a generation were making assaults on the province. Ultimately, the Goths succeeded in dislodging the Romans and restoring the independence of Dacia following Aurelian's withdrawal, in 275. The province was abandoned by Roman troops, and, according to the Breviarium historiae Romanae by Eutropius, Roman citizens "from the town and lands of Dacia" were resettled to the interior of Moesia. [1] However, Romanian historians maintain that the bulk of the civilian population remained and a surviving aristocratic Dacian line revived the kingdom under Regalianus. About his origin, the Tyranni Triginta says he was a Dacian, a kinsman of Decebalus. Nonetheless, the Gothic aristocracy remained ascendant and through intermarriage soon dominated the kingdom which was absorbed into their larger empire.

During Diocletian, circa AD296, in order to defend the Roman border, fortifications are erected by the Romans, on both banks of the Danube[14].By AD336 Constantine the Great had reconquered the lost province, however following his death, the Romans abandoned Dacia for good."

In game terms this happens as part of the "Alliance with Goths" tech. The 2 Dacian cities are given to the Goths.

Yes, praesidum are very cheap, but have little chance of surviving a combat this late in the game. I suppose 1 strategy is to build tons of them just to slow the baddies down. Cheap, weak, and immobile!

Just a warning, there will be a large lag once the 11th (12?) Gallic city is conquered. There is a >= instead of ==, and the effect is the code loops far more times than need be (only 1 time is needed).

17. Ajidica

Pstew, are there any pedia enties that you would like to see done? I have little time for art but pedia entries go alot faster. What did you think about my logothete idea?

18. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

logothetes are sort of abstracted in already via the Census building (+15% gold, -1 happy). I do like the -1 food as another part of the decline was a decrease in population from the urban centers due to heavy taxes. We do need to be careful not to increase wealth much though, the fall needs to happen! One way to do it is to give them -2 food, and then run a routine every few turns that has a chance of converting slaves into logthetes, or a smaller chance of just adding a logothete to the city. Maybe it only runs in the 3rd century, and then after this the slaves + logothetes have a chance of being eliminated. Something like that.. Slaves will go away once serfdom is reached anyway. This would smooth that out so it isn't such an abrupt effect.

How does that sound?

19. Ajidica

Sounds good. The reason I suggested Logothetes as a unit is because Justinian and other Emperors had some personaly go out and collect the taxes, not relying on provincial governors. The heavy taxation discontended the local Italian population and made them more than receptive to the invading Lombards. Once I am done with my art for the Legio Lanciarii, I'll try and find a good logothete model.

On the logothetes: So the player wont stick them in a backwater city and get the same amount of gold as in a large city, could they autobuild a building (like Eponas Hearth in BTS Age of Ice) that grants a % bonus to the base commerce? Going by this line, a sort of neat idea on recreating the fall is to have a bunch of limited buildings that grant a nice bonus but cause unhappines/-food, commerce, ect./ revolt chance/ect. by a percent so you want to put them in large cities, but if you put to many in a city you may have a revolt in a large city. IIRC, you are already using JDogs Revolution code you could use the city rev index or you could use an armaggedon-esque counter from Fall from Heaven. Each of the above buildings and mabey a few units (mercenary barbarians or foederati, perhaps?) could give a 'collapse' counter. When the counter is reaches a certaint limit, a random bad even will occur, such as a revolution in a city or widespread unhappiness. If this sounds feasable or somewhat interesting, I could work it out further. My reasoning behind this is so that the fall doesnt seem quite as arbitrary. Currently all that you do is react to the events, and that is how it should be, but it is nice to have a more 'dynamic' fall.

The reason most of my ideas are for late rome is that is where my intersts are. I know only what the average educated person knows of early rome.

20. D'zilas

D'zilas Chieftain

Original post about a month ago......

I Played the RFRE mod for CivIII many times And it was outstanding! I downloaded and installed the latest version of RFRE for warlords updataed revolution mod and even replaced the python file and the mod satill crashes. I am very unfamiliar with xml, python etc.... so don't know what to do wrt this. Am I sol? It would be freaking outstanding to play RFRE warlords! Also I did search the thread for crashes and it wasn't much help. It seems most posters are much more tech savy than me! Any help for a novice? :confused:

New post....

Waited a month to try again with a new(?) version of RFRE still no luck..... I have a new install of everything, running most recent patches (inc.warlords 2.13) but the mod crashes when it is loading/initializing (initgraphics?). You as a group you can get mad at me for saying this but why is running this mod so problematic? I know this is a very indepth mod and all but other mods (mabey not so complex?) load and run just fine. Am I just too impatient in not waiting out the development phase (as if it ever ends)? Don't get me wrong I a very appreciative to you guys for spending your valuable free time on this project but will there ever be a close to idiot-proof version for us non programmers to play?:confused: