1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> Also, how much do you want the event to dictate the game?

Probably during this period it is a lot since my guess is most of it won't happen naturally.

For the Vandals I was thinking they would migrate 3 times, first to Gaul, then to Hispania, and finally to Africa. Like with Hannibal they can spawn an army and have it march to a destination, but with greater distances the AI state machine will likely need improving. At the basic level units can be given an objective plot (typically a city), and they make their way to it unless the path is blocked, in which case they won't move at all :/

This is likely with the Thervingi raiders since there are choke points all around Constantinople. There are some free ships, but they don't seem to be interested very often in clearing a path for the ground transports.

Maybe the cheap way is to just spawn them up in the mountains so they are close to their objective. That should work well enough.

For the Goths, "Alliance with the Goths" gives them the 2 Dacian cities, so already they are in position from which to expand into Italia. At some point they spawn probably 2 armies so they can be given 2 different objectives in Italia to go attack. Hopefully that is all that is needed to get them going.

> RFRE Concepts
    I found how RoM added this. They added some new functions to the DLL to support this, along with a new schema, XML and text... so we'll just hijack the existing "concepts".

I added Sevopedia2.2a and will put in some of the RFRE Concepts and deleted the ones that are not used (eg Animals, Nukes..).

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Sounds good. With the Tervingi and the Greuthingi, they never actualy made any move to attack Constantinople. They did do alot of rampaging around Illyricum. I have a few more ideas on how to handle migrations. I feel that migrations will either make or break this time period, a good job needs to be done. I'll post my ideas once I have more time.

Ideas on Hordes:
    Use a function like the Mongol Camp in Genghis Khan. I believe someone made a version of it that the AI can use. This could mesh well with many further ideas.

Handle it almost exactly like R:TW BI, where upon a horde captures X cities, (generaly 3) all units marked as 'Horde' dissapear and add population to the 3 cities. This would work well with the 'lesser' hordes like Vandals, Visigoths, Goths, ect.

As would probably be needed for all hordes, have movements dictated by python.

Have hordes function like my previous idea where they can only 'sack' cities, and only settle down at turn X or another trigger.

Also, what tribes will be used? I dont think every migrating tribe needs to be used. I think the Franks, Burgundii, and Lombardii can be combined into one civ called 'Rhine Invaders' or something like that. I also think the Vandals, Visigoths, and Goths should be hordes. (Should Visigoths/Goths be split? I dont think the Ostrogoths need to be shown as it can be represented as a few turns on revolt in Gothic Italy.) I also think that the Huns should be handled slightly differently becasue they never settled down and never came as conquerers. (Its true, Attila had no interest in conquering the Western Empire, it was much more profitable to keep raiding can extorting tribute from them.)

After playing from the 275BC, a few things I noticed:
    In EraInfos, why dont you set it to classical? Then you can have the medieval music for the 'Fall of Rome' Era and the more 'Fanfare' music for Republic and Imperial Rome.
    Also, why is there no Companion Cavalry for Macedonia? The Companions may not have been as good as Alexanders Companions, but they were still some of the best cavalry out there.

I just finished my COmitatenses. It is based off of Aranors Ancient Warrior and should be uploaded today/tomorrow. What do you think of the song that I uploaded? I also dont have a clue on how to make a Vandal unit look like a 'Vandal'. I did a few trial runs off units from RTW:BI, but that didnt thurn out so well. I know what model I will use (Mongolian Skirmisher probably) but I can find any good pictures. If you could find a picture, I would appreciate that. I dont really know what unit to do next. Probably whatever sounds cool.

3. Ajidica

I put together a short timeline with possible effects that may be useful. It goes a bit later than the abdication of Romulus Augustulus.
    324: Arianism founded.
    Effect: Arianism spreads via python. It increases chance for revolt and unhappiness.
    395: Honorius and Arcadius become emperors, the empire splits
    Effect: Removes the 'United Empire' buildings that were created via python with Constantines Conquest. The buildings add some gold, production, or other effects.
    400(?): Honorius removes all miltary aid from britain.
    Effect: All non-auxillary Roman Troops in Britian are transfered to France, Britian becomes Barbarian or Romano-British.
    408: Alaric sacks Rome and later settles in Northern Italy.
    Effect: Rome riots, looses most buildings and much its population. Capital is transfered to Ravenna. All cities get +1 anger due to Honorius's flight from Rome. 'Tribus Gothi' buildings are created in northern Italy. WRE now can create 'Gothic Foederati'. Slightly weaker but no upkeep version of Legionary Cavalry.
    -Interlude-
    Increasing number of Germanic raiders attack WRE. Persia continues to attack ERE.
    -Interlude-
    447: Attilla invaded ERE. ERE bribes him to go west.
    Effect: All of Thrace and Greece riot, loose population. Roman troops there are decimated. ERE gets 'Hun TRibute' building in Constantinople, +X gold to Huns. Ends at 450.
    451: Attilla invades WRE. Entire EMpire goes into anarchy until 453. Troops are decimated, most population and improvements in Gaul are removed. Massive devestation. (Flagellum Dei!!!!).
    I decided against having many Huns spawn and rampage. The Huns invaded as a massive group, and the time period that it occurs is relativly short. Also, it wouldn't slow down the game as much having to move all of the hun units and would prevent the AI from having to do a 'Wack a Mole' thing with the huns left over.
    455+: Fall of the West.
    Effect: All WRE cities get 'Fall of the West' building. Reduced happines, production, gold, ect. All barbarian tribes that would have been brough in by the 'Alliance' techs are brough in and start to migrate.
    474: North Africa Expedition of Leo and Zeno fails.
    Effect: Anarchy for 2 turns to simulate civil war between Zeno and Basiliscus.
    476: Romulus Augustulus is depossesed.
    Effect: WRE no longer exists. Is replaced by Ostrogothic Italy.
    492:Theodoric murders Odoacer. Theodoric informs Zeno that an Emperor is no longer need in the West. (Odoacer acted as WRE emperor even though he had Zeno ackowledge him as Patrician, Zeno did the Same for Theodoric)
    Effect: 2 turns of anarchy in Ostrogothic Italy. Relations between Ostrogothic Italy and ERE decline.

4. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Warlord

For which version of warlord is this?(RFRE.beta1p5a)The lastest patch??

5. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> version
    2.13 is the latest version, and is what the dll is compiled with. I have downloaded the SDK, compilers, etc... but haven't tried to compile yet (Refar posted directions), though it might happen someday if for no other reason than to get a debug dll for diagnosing CTDs.

I suppose if you found a 48 civ dll for 2.08 it would work as well.

> Gibbons
    I have been reading Gibbons (http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap13.htm#thepr), and ugh... I see what you mean. There are some new details in there :mischief:

6. Ajidica

I completly agree with you about Gibbon. It has alot of interesting stuff, but it is both duller than most of my textbooks and the way it is written is hard. If your looking for someting lighter, Byzantium:The Early Centuries is alot lighter, it sums up the first two books into one book. Most of the events in Gibbons are too small for python. Also, what do you think of the soundtrack clip I posted or my Comitatenses unit.

7. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

it might be great but i do not see a real good reason to put it in a unknown zip format. It is a but awkward this way (altough i just downloaded the 7zip prog and unzipped your scenario).

Unzipped it to E:\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Warlords\Mods but when I run warlords I somehow can not see or load it.

8. Ajidica

It is in 7z becasue it compresses to the smallest size that way. A while back I asked the same question, and Pstew showed that 7z compresses the smallest. Be glad that it is now one nice download. For a while it was 3 different downloads, it was a bit confusing.

Pstew: I am working on a Steppe (Vandal) Noble Cavalry. I figured out a great way to do chain mail that is both more realistic and much faster. I hope to have the unit out soon. If you really want, I can go back and redo all of my Gothic units so they look better. I probably will do it myself once I finish my Steppe Units.

9. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

(it is not one download but two (exe + zip), but I can live with it so won't argue about it any more)

The Description at the download center does not tell how to install/run this mod/scenario. It only mentions the 7zip thing. So my question is, how do I run your scenario. As in my message above, i unzipped it to my mod folder of warlords but I somehow can not see it.

(btw: I have civilization complete, warlord version 213)

10. Ajidica

Take the unzipped mod folder and put it in the Program Files>Firaxis Games>ect>Warlords>Mods. I dont have Civ Complete so I dont know if the folder set up is any different., The mod folder should read RFREBeta1p5a or something like that. It shouldnt be in another folder.
    Minor point, it isnt my mod, it is Primordial Stew's. I just have been helping out.

11. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

You would assume it would work that way but not with my copy of civ :(

Maybe I should make a topic about this

(should be "rise" of course)

12. Ajidica

What folders are in the Rise and Fall of Rome Folder? The Assets, Maps, and any .ini and some other files need to immediatly be in there. Also, are you trying to play it on a foriegn language? It only works in English.

13. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

MAP: assets
    MAP: PrivateMaps
    chackArtFiles.pl
    releaseNotes.txt
    RFRE.beta1p5a.ini
    RFRE.ini
    version.txt

The language I play in is english

The size of the unzipped folder is 117 MB.

14. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

Been trying for some time but can not get other scenarios to work either. It is not RFRE problem, it seems to be my problem :(

Maybe it has something to do with the reinstall I did a while ago.

15. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

Must admit it is good to have the 7-zip program as it can also deal with .rar. Windows itself only can deal with .zip it seems

16. Ajidica

It probably does have something to do on your end if you cant get any other mods to work.
    Minor Point: You say scenario when talking about the map, and mod when talking about the game, it makes it easier to play this way.

17. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

If you can find %USERPROFILE%My Documents\My Games\WarlordsCivilizationIV.ini (it's the same name, but different dir for vanilla, Warlords and BtS), set "LoggingEnabled = 1", it is 0 by default.

Now start Warlords, and then exit out. This will create %USERPROFILE%My Documents\My Games\Warlords\Logs\init.log

Made sure the time stamp is just now, and then open it up to see the path that is being used.

[53541.718] DBG: CIV Init
    [53541.718] VERSION: App: D:\civ4\Warlords\Civ4Warlords.exe
    [53541.718] VERSION: Build: Wed May 16 16:23:38 2007
    [53541.718] VERSION: 2.1.3.0
    [53546.046] VERSION: Mod Loaded: Mods\RFRE.beta1p6\

For me the path is d:\civ4\warlords\mods\rfre.beta1p5a (p6 is the dev version), but from the SS there is no RFRE.beta1p5a, so it must have unzipped to somewhere else. Probably use the window "search" to find a folder with that name, and then move it to the correct directory.

To start the game just double click on either mods\rfre.beta1p5a\PrivateMaps\rfre.v4.5.275BC.CivWarlordsWBSave or the 200AD file.

18. Ajidica

Pstew:What do you think of the Comitatenses unit and the song I attached to a post? If you like the song, I will upload the rest.

19. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

The problem is there is no way to control distribution :( A sample (10-30 seconds) should be ok, but a full song I think cannot be done.

I have it for the Auxilia Palentine (Roman version of the "pikeman"/garrison unit) right now. The Comitenses will stay looking "legion" like as it is in that line.

I pilfered some units from Total Realism (another mod for Warlords!) for:
    Sagitarius Aux (romanlongbowman)
    the late-era barbarian boat (wargalley)
    Persian horse archer (persianhorsearcher)
    Eques (replaces the bare-chested fellow :/ ) (equites)
    Vandal pikeman (wild_phalanx)
    Vandal Eques Praebundus (barbarian_mounted_v2)
    Vandal infantry (wild_swordsman_v2)

My view of the 4th Century so far is that nothing significant happened. There were a bunch of minor wars (with Persia, Goths, etc...) and civil wars, but not much really changed.

20. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Emperor

Thanks for the effort you put into this post, will have to try it someday. Right now I am involved in some other civ scenario. Your suggestions seems a bit complicated too i must admit.