civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

I think what he was mainly wondering about is why is Moenia Theodosi in Carthage? Here's another pedia entry, this time for Comitatenses. (I can change the quote if you want.)

"We've killed thousands of Sarmatians, thousands of Franks again and again; we're looking for thousands of Persians."-Vita Aureliani, suspected to be an Auxillary Palatine drinking song. During the late Roman Empire, the troops were divided into two types. The Limitani to guard the border and the Comitatenses to serve as the mobile field armies. Initaly there was no distinction between the two, as when needed limitani were upgraded to pseudocomitatenses when drafted into a field army. As time went on the limitani declined in effectiveness, and the Emperor Justinian eventualy cut off their pay due to their innefectiveness. Regardless, the Comitatenses Field Armies were the best in the Mediterainian at the time. Although they weren't the equal to Ceasars' legions, they were able to beat any barbarian warband when properly led.

Any other units you would like to see pedias for?

Moenia Theodosi can't be in Carthage unless something went really wrong! It requires a very late Roman tech, and must be build where a palace is.

I can't think of any at the moment... am in the middle of adding a bunch of stuff.

What I am wondering about is how to implement the Roman Roads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_roads). Right now it's abstract, some techs increase road movement. Where I'd like to go is less abstract while modeling the slow expansion of the road network. They (the Viae publicae type) were costly to build.

My first plan was to see how it was done in RoM2.63+ (there is a direct cost in gold to build a road segment), but looking at it nothing jumps out :/ So the other way is to just use workers. Either make the effort cost really really large, or build a special unit that costs large upkeep and is consumed when done.

I suppose for the Legions to be able to build Roman Roads it can only be the high effort option.

"Lead" got added today. It was really common with known mines in Carthage, Hispania, Gaul, Germania, Aegyptus, and Britania. It gives -1 health, and probably +1 happy in Roma somehow, perhaps Senatus?? Other than increased production from the mine, I don't know if there should be any additional advantage from it.

Bakuel's recent units are being added, including a Thraex graphic for the Famous Gladiator ;)

And the final thing of interest today was revising the Salt bonus. http://www.saltsense.co.uk/history04.htm Right now there is only 1 salt in Sicilia. The intent is to be of significant interest to Carthage. However once Carthage is defeated, more salt could be added (rock salt?) since it did become more available over time, but was certainly a luxury during the game period. Spartacus was working in a salt mine (they were open pit, not underground) in Libya prior to going to Capua.

Roman Roads>A cost to build version of a reduced railroads could work, don't know what else to do with it.
Lead>What exactly did they use the lead for? I remember alot of the roofing on Constantinople was lead, but nothing beyond that.
Salt> Sounds good.
>A possible new unit for late rome could be Bacaudae. Basicly they were small landowners driven from their farms and were glorified bandits and highway robbers. A major problem many emperors had was controlling them as they were often more likely to join the barbarians than fight them.

Heres a pedia for Stratiotes: (A better name would be Skutatoi)
"Silence. Do not fall back. Do not go ahead of the standard. Advance even with the front rank. Keep your eyes on the standard. Follow it with your company, soldier. This is how a brave soldier should act. If you leave your standard, you will not be victorious."-The Strategikon of the Emperor Maurice, Book II,5. During the reconquest of the Western Roman Empire by the Emperor Justinian in the mid 500's, melee infantry began to decrease in importance as cavalry became more effective. By the reign of Justinian, the infantry spearmen were equiped with little more than a large oval shield, a spear, and a helmet, bearing more resemblence to their barbarian adversaries than to the legions of old. Still, Byzantine Infantry were effective, well trained, and could hold their own against most enemies, mounted or foot. In battles, the Stratiotes were often used to protect the archers and form a battle line which would lure the enemy in as the cavalry struck the enemy in the flanks.

There wasn't anything very important, just lots of little things. Whatever all the uses were, they certainly did go about mining it from all over.

Here is the pedia entry:

Spoiler :
Lead (plumbum) was known to be mined in Aegyptus (Gebel Rosas mine), Britania (Derbyshire mine), Hispania, Germania, Carthage, and Gaul. Lead mines also produced zinc, and small amounts of gold or silver.

The Romans used lead for plumbing, as a preservative for food and drink, as a sweetener in wine, penicillus (pencil/stylus), a many other uses. The metal enhanced one-fifth of the 450 recipes in the Roman Apician Cookbook, a collection of first through fifth century recipes attributed to gastrophiles associated with Apicius, the famous Roman gourmet. India imported lead.

Lead toxicity was first recognized as early as 200 B.C. Nicander of Colophon wrote of lead-induced anemia and colic in 250 B.C.[3] Gout, prevalent in affluent Rome, is thought to be the result of lead, or leaded eating and drinking vessels. Lead was used in makeup. Sugar of lead (lead(II) acetate) was used to sweeten wine, and the gout that resulted from this was known as saturnine gout. In 1656 the German physician Samuel Stockhausen recognized dust and fumes containing lead compounds as the specific cause of the diseases, called since ancient Roman times morbi metallici, that were known to afflict miners, smelter workers, potters, and others whose work exposed them to it. Increased levels of lead in the body can lead to many disorders, including neurological and reduced fertility.

Aulus Cornelius Celsus, writing ca. A.D. 30, listed white lead on a list of poisons with antidotes (beside cantharides, hemlock, hyoscyamus, poisoned mushrooms, and a swallowed leech), and claimed it could be remedied by mallow or walnut juice rubbed up in wine. Despite his awareness of lead's toxicity, citing many contemporary authorities, Celsus recommended its use in a wide range of ointments applied to wounds to stop bleeding and reduce infection or inflammation.

Julius Caesar's engineer, Vitruvius, who also served his successor Caesar Augustus, reported, "Water is much more wholesome from earthenware pipes than from lead pipes. For it seems to be made injurious by lead, because white lead, a pigment base produced by soaking lead in vinegar until a soft paste, is produced from it; and this is said to be harmful to the human body."[9] It should be noted that the prevalence of lead poisoning, at least that caused by drinking water containing lead, in ancient Rome is far less than what is traditionally believed. The hardness of Rome's water caused heavy deposits of calcium carbonate to form on pipes and in turn prevented the lead of the pipes from coming into contact with the water, thus reducing the chance of getting lead poisoning from drinking water.

various sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning http://www.medvarsity.com/vmu1.2/dmr/dmrdata/currenttopics/coins/quantitative.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead http://corrosion-doctors.org/Elements-Toxic/Lead-history.htm http://mediterranee.revues.org/index2072.html

> Bacaudae

Sounds like the scale would be too small to represent. Might be worth mentioning as detail in something else.

I checked again in world builder and I found out what made me believe that Moenia Theodosii was in Carthage. The icon look like its selected when you edit the buildings for cities. Nevertheless, 810% is much, ballista wherent able to scratch a notch in those walls but since its event planed no worry about it.

I made some research about lead:

Some historians have speculated that the use of lead pipes in the sewer and plumbing systems led to widespread lead poisoning which contributed to the decline in birth rate and general decay of Roman society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome)

Bacaudae>Bacaudae actualy were pretty major, a few starting minting their own coinage and such. I'm going to be gone next week so I can't make any comments, but here is the wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagaudae

Lead>Include it and give it a generic commerce bonus and possible a small bonus (production and commerce) if present in a city with a forge like building.

>
What did you think about "Exercitus Hannibal"

The event is good, he reapear near Carthage and I sacrified 2 level 4 legio to get the group. He didnt move much tough maybe its better like that. First game I did I took the 3 etrusques cities to the north of rome and after Hanibal arrival I tried to defend Genua hehe.

> bagaudae were groups of peasant insurgents who emerged during the "Crisis of the Third Century", and persisted

Damn, more baddies for the C3C!

I think the "Unit Obsolete Tech" modcomp has been merged. This will get rid of some of those outdated units, like the miles socii. I was testing out some of the new artwork while playing as the Persians. The damn AI is building lots of miles socii, despite the lower combat and higher cost (does the AI even consider extra cost??). Also the preasidium, and some others. This can be done in python too, as you might notice that Roma cannot build Miles Socii. <-- this works :)

The other modcomp that sounds useful is "Vicinity Bonus" http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9025. This is in RFRE already though, but in a simpler way (eg city has timber near by) which is allowed since we don't have to generate random maps.

Maybe there is a way in the SDK to keep the AI from trying to siege the homeland fortresses...

Pedia improvements:
spearman - currently used for all spearmen, probably need to split up: Tarabostes, tribus *, etc...

Oh, and in p7 the fpk file contains not only the art, but the entire mod (including the debug dll)! I've been playing around this morning, and it turns out only 2 things need to be outside of the the .fpk file, "Assets/res/fonts" and "privateMaps". So to speed loading even more just delete the others. Who knew?

Bakuel's latest units:
http://img268.imageshack.us/i/thraexandnubianjaveline.jpg/

The Nubian javeline unit now matches the description in the pedia ;)

Any feedback on the "famous gladiators"?? They're not a big effect, just more appropriate flavor (which is what the BONUS_LEAD is for in p8 :lol:). Any thoughts on the GP rate in general?

Here are all of the changes so far. The 200AD map needs the roads updated, and bagaudae spawning has to be added in python, but other than those 2 things, what else?

Spoiler :
Beta.p7 -> Beta.p8
==================================
1. Added a new bonus resources:
Lead -> found in many places
rock salt -> this is mined salt, from Africa (renamed "Salt" to "Sea Salt" and is still in Sicillia)
got rid of Whales, none were being used

2. python changes:
a. Added spawning of some bagaudae <- to do!

3. Revised pedia entries for Eques Praedabundus, Stratiotes and Bellatores Loricati by Ajidica.

4. New artwork:
nubianancientageunits + skirmisher by Bakuel
nubianmiddleageunit by Bakuel
hebrewmiddleageunits by Bakuel
vikingancientunits by Bakuel
frankishancientageunits by Bakuel
celticancientageunits by Bakuel
thraex by Bakuel
bonus_lead from Rise Of Mankind2
Militia Units by mechaerik

5. Merged "Unit Obsolete Tech" modcomp by Dom Pedro II. This tidys up the build list in the city screen.

6. Changed roads. "Roads" are "via rustica" and are slower than before. "Roman Roads/paved roads" (via publicae)
cost 4X that of a regular road (via rustica) to build, and can only be built by legions (to limit their
availability and make them cost by paying expensive GPT legions). Via rustica can be built by servus, slaves,
and legions. Via publica have 3X the movement rate, and it increases more with Second Punic War Part1 and with
Marius Reforms.

I'm back from my trip. If you ever go canoeing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters, bring bug spray. The mosquitoes are ravenous. pstew, did you see the new greek units Bakuel released?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326032
Theres even a gladiator.

> legionaries road

Yup, only legions can build roman road. I don't if it's possible to order them build >1 tile at a time.

> Boundary Waters

I've never been that far north, but yeah I can imagine the swarms of ravenous mosquitoes. I'm up in WI this week and the weather is phenomenal :) Overcast, cool, windy (no bugs!) = perfect!

> Thaex

Yup, that's the one he made for RFRE! That graphic used for the Famous Gladiator and 1 component of the Servus Seditious.

Primordial Stew, congratulations for making such a fantastic adaptation to Pink&#8217;s original CivIII mod. I went to a computer game store the other day and bought Warlords just so I could try this out. It was money well spent!

Below I will list a few possible bugs as well as some suggestions for the next patch. Feel free to take or leave my ideas as you see fit:

Possible Bugs

1. Whenever I build a Ludus, it disappears in any city where I had previously built one. I built five Ludus&#8217;s in my current game, but only one remains. If this bug cannot be fixed, maybe you could change the Ludus into a Wonder to be constructed in Rome, and raise its hammer cost and GP point output.

2. The Britanic Goods resource is not working properly. I captured UK and had a road over the resource but I still could not build Hadrian&#8217;s Wall. I was not receiving the +1 happy face bonus, either. I modified the terrain XML file to make Britania Goods (called &#8220;silver&#8221; in the XML) require a Quarry, and then everything worked okay.

3. Similar issue for Exotic Animals. I am not sure if that resource is working correctly, but in any event, it should require a camp.

4. When a city automatically revolts (like say in the Jewish rebellions) the Praesidium Romana units from that city are relocated outside the city. Since they have zero moves, they are stuck there, even after Rome puts down the rebellion and recaptures the city. I do not know if this can be fixed.

5. Parthia requested to become my vassal. Of course, I said &#8220;no&#8221;.

6. The Pax Romana civic says that it requires 34 turns of anarchy. Is this intentional, like maybe the civic is automatically assigned later in the game and the Player is not supposed to change to it himself?

7. The Roman horse unit that can be built in Spain and Gaul with a Castra Celtica only has one move. Shouldn&#8217;t it have two moves? With only one move, it is very similar to the Miles Celtica infantry unit (each has 6 strength).

8. Velites that the Player upgrades to Miles Aux keep their withdrawl and collateral damage bonus promotions. This is no big deal.

9. Consular Legions do not upgrade. They have to be deleted then rebuilt.

10. There is no Jewish holy city. The Jewish Wonder (I forgot the name) is not placed in Jerusalem. For these two reasons, the Player cannot build the Biblia Wonder.

11. Slaves are sometimes consumed when improving a tile. If this is intentional, like say it represents the slaves continuing to work the plot, then it is fine, but I just wanted to point it out in case it was an error.

12. Parthia gave me the city of Susa (which I think is supposed to be unconquerable) as the terms of a peace treaty.

Potential Updates / Balancing

13. Pontus should be stronger. Conquering them was a huge pain in CivIII RFRE, and historically Mithradates gave Rome quite a challenge.

14. The ships in Marc Antony&#8217;s fleet should have 5 strength rather than 4. Right now, it is too easy to wipe them out with just a handful of Quinq Summas.

15. The unconquerable German cities have lots of culture so it is difficult for the Player to build Limes along the Rhine. Maybe you could lower the German culture. Or else give Rome a low-cost, national unit that can add say 50 culture points to a city. The Player could then increase the culture in his key border cities using those units.

16. When the Jewish revolt occurs, how about giving them a couple of strong defensive, zero-move units in a Lime on a hill by Jerusalem. This could represent the fortress of Massada. The units would remain there until they are killed, even if the rest of the rebellion is put down.

17. Trajan sacked the Parthian capital and retook the legionary eagles lost by Crassus. The city is unconquerable in CivIV RFRE. However, because the Romans held the city very briefly, this is not really an issue.

18. It takes forever to improve tiles. Perhaps increase slave productivity by +50% from where it is now. Since the Player uses one slave per city to build a Catasta, and because slaves are often consumed when improving tiles, there are not enough slaves left to improve the terrain.

19. Because tech discovery is automatic, there is not much reason (other than cultural bonus or &#8220;flavor&#8221;) to build a Schola. Therefore, the Schola should give +1 hammer in addition to its current benefits.

20. Same for the Academia. Add +1 hammer to its benefits.

21. The Fabrica building does not give enough of a production bonus. I suggest giving it +1 hammer on top of its current values.

22. Should the Forum Trajanus Wonder require the capture of Sarmizegatusa, since gold plundered from the Dacians paid for the construction?

23. It is impossible to stay on the timeline. In my current game, I am at 150AD and I have not yet conquered Numidia, Dacia, Selecuids, Pontus, Armenia, or western Parthia. I am way, way, way behind&#8230;. I suggest adding 24 turns (i.e. two new techs) after Marius and before Dictator. This timeframe encompasses what some consider the most famous and interesting part of Roman history. Possible new tech names could be: Pirates & Pompey, Caesar in Gaul, Conquest of Britain, Defeat of Crassus, or whatever else fits. Of course, you would also have to add two new timer techs, and update the era calendar count so that even with 24 extra turns, zero years get added.

24. Buildings should have much higher conquest survivability, maybe as high as 100%. When cities automatically revolt (i.e. Italian rebellion, Jewish rebellions, Crisis of the Third Century, etc.) and then are recaptured by Rome, everything that the Player has worked so hard to build could be wiped out. Imagine recapturing an important city and then having to rebuild its Fabrica, Temple Romana, Granaria, Thermae, etc.

I can answer a few of your questions and respond to the statements, but you have to wait for Pstew for most of them.

6>IIRC, it is converted to automaticaly in python. It has a long anarchy rate to keep you from converting back to it in the Crisis of the Thrid Century.
7>The Roman horse unit has some additional abilities, such as withdrawal and a few other bonus's.
11>IIRC, slaves should only be consumed on building mines, unless I read the changelog wrong.
23>On the timeline, I haven't played it, but it should go faster as the long slog through Egypt isn't needed.
24>When the Romans retook a revolting city, it was often bloodyer than the initial capture as the Romans wanted to teach a lesson, so it sort of makes sense.

About some of those points;

9. I think its because the way civ4 work unfortunately, I modified the XML to made them upgradable and ended up with the possibility to build the new consular and the old one making 4 consular units. Its because they are national units I beleive. But of course my knowledge of modding is basic at best :)

15. Culture is very an anoying issue here, whenever you conquer a city the next turn its surrounded by someone else culture.

23. I also have hard time kepping on the time line at normal level since upkeep prevent you to have the large army needed for that and after a battle you have to heal 3-4 years sometime.

24. I was asking myself what was city conquest like in antiquity ? did they have the siege power to wipe walls and defence like that ? Its not a huge matter in any case since a wall is not long to make but added to everything you have to build it take time to the time line.

Primordial Stew, congratulations for making such a fantastic adaptation to Pink&#8217;s original CivIII mod. I went to a computer game store the other day and bought Warlords just so I could try this out. It was money well spent!

Thanks!

> 1. Whenever I build a Ludus, it disappears in any city where I had previously built one. I built five Ludus&#8217;s in my current game, but only one remains. If this bug cannot be fixed, maybe you could change the Ludus into a Wonder to be constructed in Rome, and raise its hammer cost and GP point output.

The intent is to build 5 Ludus (it says 1 in the xml, but the map size is large so the requirement automatically scales up), which then allows building of the Ludus Magnus. Ludus Magnus also requires the Colosseum, so only in Roma.

Roma should be able to produce most things very quickly already. It get 100% military production, and the expectation is you will add many slaves to it. This will increase production and reduce growth.

> 2. The Britanic Goods resource is not working properly. I captured UK and had a road over the resource but I still could not build Hadrian&#8217;s Wall. I was not receiving the +1 happy face bonus, either. I modified the terrain XML file to make Britania Goods (called &#8220;silver&#8221; in the XML) require a Quarry, and then everything worked okay.

Errr... yup, fix is in xml.

> 3. Similar issue for Exotic Animals. I am not sure if that resource is working correctly, but in any event, it should require a camp.

Ok

> 4. When a city automatically revolts (like say in the Jewish rebellions) the Praesidium Romana units from that city are relocated outside the city. Since they have zero moves, they are stuck there, even after Rome puts down the rebellion and recaptures the city. I do not know if this can be fixed.

There is code to kill off any 0 movement units, but this doesn't always work. I'll take another look at this, maybe it'll make sense this time!

> 5. Parthia requested to become my vassal. Of course, I said &#8220;no&#8221;.

Yes, a solution to this is definitely needed. Certain civs cannot be allowed to do this.

> 6. The Pax Romana civic says that it requires 34 turns of anarchy. Is this intentional, like maybe the civic is automatically assigned later in the game and the Player is not supposed to change to it himself?

It'll be automatically given when the tech is reached. The high cost is to keep you from going back to it. An ideal solution is to add a new tag in the xml for obsoleting civics with techs, but that might be beyond me. Or perhaps it can be done in the python for the civics page?

> 7. The Roman horse unit that can be built in Spain and Gaul with a Castra Celtica only has one move. Shouldn&#8217;t it have two moves? With only one move, it is very similar to the Miles Celtica infantry unit (each has 6 strength).

Cohors (infantry) Equitata (cavalry) Millaria (1000) is an odd unit. The unit represents 300 cavalry and 600 infantry. It's in the cavalry class though, whereas the Miles Celticus is medium infantry. Although both are 6, but the bonuses are different.

> 8. Velites that the Player upgrades to Miles Aux keep their withdrawl and collateral damage bonus promotions. This is no big deal.

The collateral promotions become worthless, but withdrawl might be handy.

> 9. Consular Legions do not upgrade. They have to be deleted then rebuilt.

My interpretation is that a lot of the "strength" of this unit would derive from the leader. Some Consuls were really good like Marius, Pompey, Sulla, Aurelian, Julius Caesar, Scipio Africanus (his brothers didn't fare so well however), some ok, and other were really bad. Consuls usually weren't elected for their military qualifications, and the term was limited.

> 10. There is no Jewish holy city. The Jewish Wonder (I forgot the name) is not placed in Jerusalem. For these two reasons, the Player cannot build the Biblia Wonder.

Good point! It is set in the 200AD map, but was missing in the 275BC map, which is the one that actually needs it..

> 11. Slaves are sometimes consumed when improving a tile. If this is intentional, like say it represents the slaves continuing to work the plot, then it is fine, but I just wanted to point it out in case it was an error.

Yes, the intent is to slow development and require continual supply of slaves. Servus will also be consumed, though I don't want them to be. The consumption flag is by improvement type.

> 12. Parthia gave me the city of Susa (which I think is supposed to be unconquerable) as the terms of a peace treaty.

Maybe some of Pink's tricks can be used here too.

> 13. Pontus should be stronger. Conquering them was a huge pain in CivIII RFRE, and historically Mithradates gave Rome quite a challenge.

I've only read the Wikipedia pages on the 3 Mithridic Wars. In there it is said that the real difficulty was not the ability of the Pontic army, it was that Rome was so busy elsewhere that few forces were available to deal with them. Please do look at those (or another source) and let's revisit this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Mithridatic_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertorius

> 14. The ships in Marc Antony&#8217;s fleet should have 5 strength rather than 4. Right now, it is too easy to wipe them out with just a handful of Quinq Summas.

Will that add too much time here?

In civIII RFRE the Aegyptus campaign was a massive undertaking, but that's not based on history. I think Pink was just trying to keep us busy to make the overall timeline work out.

The only real battle was fought at sea. Mark Antony's besieged ground forces at Actium melted away after the naval battle, and did the troops in Aegyptus. They saw theirs as a losing cause not worth dying for.

> 15. The unconquerable German cities have lots of culture so it is difficult for the Player to build Limes along the Rhine. Maybe you could lower the German culture. Or else give Rome a low-cost, national unit that can add say 50 culture points to a city. The Player could then increase the culture in his key border cities using those units.

I'll add this to the Munitor's capabilities.

> 16. When the Jewish revolt occurs, how about giving them a couple of strong defensive, zero-move units in a Lime on a hill by Jerusalem. This could represent the fortress of Massada. The units would remain there until they are killed, even if the rest of the rebellion is put down.

Will do!

There is a fort there, but without SDK work the bonus is only given if a cultural boundary is exerted on this tile. So while it looks right, it don't act right :crazyeye:

> 17. Trajan sacked the Parthian capital and retook the legionary eagles lost by Crassus. The city is unconquerable in CivIV RFRE. However, because the Romans held the city very briefly, this is not really an issue.

> 18. It takes forever to improve tiles. Perhaps increase slave productivity by +50% from where it is now. Since the Player uses one slave per city to build a Catasta, and because slaves are often consumed when improving tiles, there are not enough slaves left to improve the terrain.

Indeed!

The enslavement rate could be increased some, but if there are too many slaves maintenance costs will kick in!

> 19. Because tech discovery is automatic, there is not much reason (other than cultural bonus or &#8220;flavor&#8221;) to build a Schola. Therefore, the Schola should give +1 hammer in addition to its current benefits.

Is it fair to say that basically Scholas teach Roman culture? So maybe +10%(?) culture is appropriate?

> 20. Same for the Academia. Add +1 hammer to its benefits.

> 21. The Fabrica building does not give enough of a production bonus. I suggest giving it +1 hammer on top of its current values.

Ok.

> 22. Should the Forum Trajanus Wonder require the capture of Sarmizegatusa, since gold plundered from the Dacians paid for the construction?

The capture does put Trajan's Column in Roma. So Trajan's Forum could require that.

> 23. It is impossible to stay on the timeline. In my current game, I am at 150AD and I have not yet conquered Numidia, Dacia, Selecuids, Pontus, Armenia, or western Parthia. I am way, way, way behind&#8230;. I suggest adding 24 turns (i.e. two new techs) after Marius and before Dictator. This timeframe encompasses what some consider the most famous and interesting part of Roman history. Possible new tech names could be: Pirates & Pompey, Caesar in Gaul, Conquest of Britain, Defeat of Crassus, or whatever else fits. Of course, you would also have to add two new timer techs, and update the era calendar count so that even with 24 extra turns, zero years get added.

Numida.. I think my problem is I don't understand how this should go. The Roman's really had a hard time (as with any nation that used a lot of cavalry) with them.

Armenia is another difficult one. They were allied, fighting, a vassal, not a vassal... very messy!

Selecuids seem to get beaten down in most games fighting with Aegyptus and Persia. I can see them being a pain though.

When did the 2nd Punic War end? One really needs to focus on the objectives to avoid wasting time with pointless fighting.

It will take a little work to get setup, but the additional detail is indeed worthy. There has always been an open question of how to get the Gallic campaign to fit better.

"Defeat of Crassus". This is interesting, and should be done better. Perhaps the Persian "war clock" can be tweaked some. The "war clock" is like the Germanic one, it looks at local Roman combat power and if that is too low there is a chance of a war. Maybe the start needs to be earlier though? For Perisa it is initially set to 240 turns, but maybe 175 or so is right? Germania is 190 turns, so no war from this till around 0AD.

Also, perhaps both sides should suffer +300% war weariness? These conflicts were numerous and brief.

> 24. Buildings should have much higher conquest survivability, maybe as high as 100%. When cities automatically revolt (i.e. Italian rebellion, Jewish rebellions, Crisis of the Third Century, etc.) and then are recaptured by Rome, everything that the Player has worked so hard to build could be wiped out. Imagine recapturing an important city and then having to rebuild its Fabrica, Temple Romana, Granaria, Thermae, etc.

Ok.

Thank you for the detailed feedback :goodjob:

Something happen at the battle of Carthage where the Army at Zama is. There is a Equite Numidici with a move of 2, next turn it will be inside a Cumba in Carthage. I understand that one will need to kill the 6 Zama units to force Carthage surrender so I was wondering if that was expected.

Attachments

• Zama.JPG
    Zama.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 76
Ok, let me explain better what happened, it took me a while to figure it out. When first I was in front of the Zama stack there was only 5 units, I tough it was ok. I killed them and nothing happened. There was no other Zama in sight so I log in the editor to find out the last unit inside Carthage in a cumba. It was a Army at Zama (Equite Numidici) with a move of 2. Since Carthage is virtualy untakable until it surrender I tough something whent wrong.

Top Bottom