civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

I didnt find anything specific and the file was named PythonErr2.log.

There is the saved games before and after the battle and the PythonErr2.log file, maybe you will find something.

Attachments

• before.CivWarlordsSave
    642.2 KB · Views: 49
  • after.CivWarlordsSave
    644.7 KB · Views: 40
  • PythonErr2.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 37
This is the 1st Punic War?

Just go into WB and add a Carthaginian unit, name it "Army at Zama", and then kill it too.

- or -

open up rfre.py, and change the line:
self.iZamaCounter == 0
to
self.iZamaCounter == 1
and save. Now start from the before savegame.

Now the "rebelling mercenaries" will show up, so go back into WB and just delete them.

I'll add something in p8 to handle this not being the "2nd Punic War".

I have played till 190BC on the 275BC scenario. I have just defeated Hannibal at Zama and everything works fine expect Hannibal at Zama still gets his recruits (Tribus celtica) when he kills my units and after Cartage capitulate I met every player on the map.

There are no more CTDs so the game is much more enjoyable :D .

EDIT: I did not actually met every player on the map. It just made such impression because I met all the major player and I have never met all the player of the 275BC map (I met Parthia, Scythia and some other not so important players I didn't now).

You get to meet everyone your vassal knows.

A special Hannibal for Zama has been added with the name misspelled so it won't trigger the ensalvement.

I am considering adding this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proscription
I don't know how to trigger it... some sort of button or key combination, or maybe just make it automatic with the appropriate techs (eg Age of Augustus and Sulla's Rule)?

Basically you can use it twice during the game to get some additional gold. How much (200?) and should there by any rules on it if it (eg treasury below a certain level) is a button?

"> 5. Parthia requested to become my vassal. Of course, I said “no”.

Yes, a solution to this is definitely needed. Certain civs cannot be allowed to do this."

Perhaps Parthia should be always at war w/Rome? Failing this, their attitude should be very negative towards Rome. (AFAIK they only accepted peace forcibly and staged inroads at irregular intervals; they seemed almost continually to test the strength of the empire - somewhat like the later Huns, although they were out for booty mainly.)

I am considering adding this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proscription
I don't know how to trigger it... some sort of button or key combination, or maybe just make it automatic with the appropriate techs (eg Age of Augustus and Sulla's Rule)?

Basically you can use it twice during the game to get some additional gold. How much (200?) and should there by any rules on it if it (eg treasury below a certain level) is a button?

Probably it should be trigged by certain dates or techs, otherwise it will probably be misused. 200 is a little low, it can get used up in a couple of turns and some people in Rome were very rich - they could pay for there private legions! I would go for something between 500 and 1000.

Something needs to be done about conquering Gaul. I have plaid till 20BC and Gaul has fallen in 21BC (I still have to conquerer Germania) and in 20BC I have already sunken Marc Antony's fleet (which should be more powerful by the way). I was able to keep with time line till Gaul (probably because I was a bit lucky :crazyeye: ), that means 39 years of war with Gaul instead of 8 with much more legions in use then Caesar had.

The bast way to handle Caesars campaign in Gaul is to first of all reduce the length of each turn to half or probably even more (could be also used in second Punic war because taking entire Spain takes about 15 to 20 turns so I have to fought in Spain and Greece at the same time) and then to make it more historical correct.

1 Create a Helvetii army - the player have to destroy it.
2 Split Germania into two civs one that is completely conquerable and another that is not conquerable (this is because tribes from inner Germania never helped other tribes when Caesar attacked them) - the player has to conquerer the conquerable Germania (gets open border with Gaul)
3 Belgae tribes revolts - player has to capture there city
4 The other Gauls near Ren revolt - player has to capture there city's as well
5 Gaul attack Rome - player has to kill Vercingetorix at Alesia so that all of the Gaul become Roman

I this should take less time then conquering whole Gaul city by city.

> Something needs to be done about conquering Gaul.

Yes, I'm going to expand this period some. It's some work to do this. All of the events are based on the turn number, so changing that necessitates readjusting everything after it. There is also the new detail, like with more turns the Helvetti should be included, so some handling of them (something like Hannibal? but what is the end objective??). Also better detail with the Numidian war, the Quintus Sertorius led revolt in Hispania, etc...

I'll be working on all that.

What would be tremendously helpful is if someone created a new map for sometime around this. 100BC??? Consider all of the happenings and pick a good starting time. Some python is necessary to make it work (I will do that), but setting up the appropriate armies/territory/buildings/diplomatic relationships/roads/etc is some work to get the details right. There is a 100BC map in civIII RFRE which might be the best starting point.

I will post p8 so far if someone is willing to take this on. There is a small change to the maps to add plumbum to them. Some units have changed (ie there is a Greek praesidium now), and via publicae was added. Thus it would need to be created using the p8 version.

> Helvetti

Like Hannibal is a good idea. Their objective would be to capture on of the 3 city's in northern Italy (Mediolanum, Genua and Ravenna) as they were sinking new land to settle in and if half of their forces is killed before they complete this objective they would go toward Gaul and try to capture one of the city's in Gaul as they did because Romans show them that they are powerful enough to defeat them.

Also can you make that when ever a city is captured instead of just giving the state religion of the on who has capture the city, the city gets some culture as well (probably something like when the city is automatically given to the players)

I plaid my game a little bit further until 1AD. I invaded Germania and the Germans didn't relay put up a fight. It was relay a surprise because I expected something like when I invaded Gaul - a lot of troops coming out of cities to counter attack me. Also Pirate riders do not have a capital city (is this supposed to be so?), a tribus germanica came out of the Sahara desert, Galatians conquered Bithnia (are they supposed to do so?), Parthia conquered much of the Seleucid empire - only the most western city remained (are they supposed to do so?) and when you get Egyptian cities the do not have a garrison I lost Alexandria to barbarians by surprise - could you make that when a city is automatically given to Rome, a garrison amperes in it?

> Germans didn't relay put up a fight

Will look at it.

> Also Pirate riders do not have a capital

Neither does Judea, or Nabatae.

> a tribus germanica came out of the Sahara desert

There IS a function to try to fix this sort of thing, but it never worked and I haven't figured out why.

> Galatians conquered Bithnia

This area is pretty volatile. It is ok.

> Parthia conquered much of the Seleucid empire

That will happen sometimes. It shouldn't happen all of the time, so if it is then some adjustments need to be made.

> Also can you make that when ever a city is captured instead of just giving the state religion of the on who has capture the city, the city gets some culture as well (probably something like when the city is automatically given to the players)

Why? It should work as is, except in Greece where there is a lot of culture and many nearby cities.

> could you make that when a city is automatically given to Rome, a garrison amperes in it?

An expeditionary force needs to be sent there, as was done historically ;)

>> Perhaps Parthia should be always at war w/Rome? Failing this, their attitude should be very negative towards Rome.

The "war counter" is my attempt to model this. It only looks at strength in the area, so while not guaranteeing regular conflict, it has the potential. Perhaps it should be made more complex??

I hope the bulk of the p8 work is done now. The 200AD map has been updated with many of the roman roads from a 125AD map from off the web somewhere. Turn number dependencies have been updated (there are quite a few..).

Sulla's Rule will take 62 turns now, the regular 12 + the 50 new turns. The new turns are from 100-0AD. These were 2 year/turn before.

Code:
			<GameTurnInfos>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>125</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>2</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>1</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iYearIncrement>3</iYearIncrement>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
				<GameTurnInfo>
					<iTurnsPerIncrement>225</iTurnsPerIncrement>
				</GameTurnInfo>
			</GameTurnInfos>

The Helvetti migration has been added. Military wise not much of a threat.. but they have some workers and settlers with them so you can get a lot of slaves out of it.

Next up is the revolt in Hispania, and then maybe Sextus Pompey too.

> Parthia conquered much of the Seleucid empire

That will happen sometimes. It shouldn't happen all of the time, so if it is then some adjustments need to be made.

Historically the Parthians did conquer most of the Seleucid empire, leaving it, by the time Roman expansion reached their borders, only in possession of Syria (their Asia Minor possessions were lost by other causes).

>> Parthia conquered much of the Seleucid empire

It happened in all of my 275BC games so far.

>Historically the Parthians did conquer most of the Seleucid empire, leaving it, by the time Roman expansion reached their borders, only in possession of Syria (their Asia Minor possessions were lost by other causes).

The only part that is left for me to conquerer is the city in Asia Minor (Syria is occupied by Parthia)

>> could you make that when a city is automatically given to Rome, a garrison amperes in it?

An expeditionary force needs to be sent there, as was done historically

All of my troops were in Gaul. If you made enough time for conquering Gaul and Germania then it is OK.

Anyway I have started the 200AD game now. Didn't now it was so bad for the Romans. But shouldn't after the collapse of Pax Romana the Economy switch back to Coinage instead of Barter.

And the biggest problem:
After the first revolt (when Spain and parts of Gaul revolt) the main interference failed. I had to select units if I wanted an info about them (as I can't select enemy units I was attacking completely blind, I didn't now what I was attacking or what are the odds), I found out that Germania attacked me only after they started to attack my cites and the main interference claimed that Isca (the city in southwestern part of Britannia) has 0 population points and ??a(the leg of tribus celticus is over it) Domniniorum (a city in the northwestern par of Gaul) has -1 population points :confused: .

> After the first revolt (when Spain and parts of Gaul revolt) the main interference failed.

Cool!!

The culprit of the 0 and -1 pop cities must be "disease". There is a check on the health rate of each city every turn, and if it's negative there is a chance of the city suffering -1 pop. What was missing is a check if the current pop was > 1. It unexpected to have 0 or negative city population, and I would guess this is what bombed the interface.

Can you post the first 50 lines (or so) of the My Documents\My Games\Warlords\Logs\PythonErr.log file?

> persia vs syria

Ideally it would see-saw as it did historically. The Syrians should overreach, and then the Persians recapture. I need to review the specifics, but the setup looks like the Syrians are already extended, so all that is left is the Persian recapture.

Conquest of Gaul> how about giving any Roman legions in there multiple moves, blitz, and a better version of march. The promos are removed when a unit leaves Gaul or when the conquest is over.

Soundtrack> I dled a mod for RTW, its about the Diadochi wars, but anyhow, it has alot of classical soundtracks, alot of stuff from the movie Alexander and a fair number of stuff from Gladiator (I litsened to Barbarian Horde, while not bad, nothing particular stands out about it.) I you care I could give you the link to the mod. although it comes in an extractor, you should be able to extrack it even without RTW. (I would highly reccomend RTW, although its not the most historicaly accurate, there are alot of awsome mods for it and the xpack, Barbarian Invaision.)

:confused:What's RTW? (I know it's not Road to War...)

Conquest of Gaul> how about giving any Roman legions in there multiple moves, blitz, and a better version of march. The promos are removed when a unit leaves Gaul or when the conquest is over.

How about giving those only to the Xth (and keeping them until 45 BC or Anthony is defeated)?;)

RTW> RTW is Rome: Total War. Its a turn based strategy game with real time battles. Since its been out since 2002, if your interested you can likely find it for cheap. (I got it and its xpack for $10 with no sale.)

promotions> Since the problem seems to be balence, give it to however many units need it, but perhaps the 'Cesear' legions get an added bonus for being under his personal command.

Here is my PythonErr.log. I have plaid the game a little bit further and when I went to anarchy (can't remember to which civic I have switched) the main interface start working again, but only as long as I was in anarchy. The moment I came out of the anarchy it stopped working again.

Attachments

• PythonErr2.rar
    1.4 KB · Views: 40
I've been play testing all day. It's 118BC. I just started sieging Athanae when Aegyptus showed up and captured it! Persia hasn't attacked anyone yet. They have 1000s in gold, and a large army, but are just sitting there... Maybe they are tired of capitulating so are just laying low this time :p

Galatia took over Bythnia. Macedonia captured Tomis, and is still at war with Dacia. Gaul took 1 of the Iberian cities.

Carthage captured 3 of the Lusitanian cities + the 1 barb city. They counterattacked both islands 1 time with good sized forces. Hannibal's army tried, and failed to take Pisae. Hasbrudal the Bald was happy to hang out in a captured Lusitanian city.

The Germanics start with 1 slave, and Berserks can capture them now. So they were able to hook up the horse resource and have been building their horsemen like crazy.

I need to hurry up and conquer Macedonia before things go to pot! The Gallic campaign should be tomorrow, after the Macedonian conquest, Cimbri migration, Lusitanian revolt, Social War....

Top Bottom