1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

pstew: have you seen the byzantine and carthaginian units bakuel made yet?
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=329575
    Best bet would be to use ancient byzantine age units. Once we get to the justinian era I think we will have to redo the Byzantine army and possibly the Persian/gothic.

2. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

"The only thing special is that they are national wonders, and Ludus Maguns requires 4 of them. Maybe there is a bug in Warlords is triggered by this condition?"

the same thing occured on RoM (A BTS mod) so it is not a problem with Warlords. they fixed it in RoM, i will find out how!

3. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> have you seen the byzantine and carthaginian units bakuel made yet?

Yep. I haven't tried them out yet though.

> the same thing occured on RoM (A BTS mod) so it is not a problem with Warlords. they fixed it in RoM, i will find out how!

Good luck! There are soooo many posts over there.

One nice thing about playing RoM is it makes RFRE seem to load in no time at all ;)

I was watching a show "sex in the ancient world" or something like that. How about having female slave units too? They would be the same a regular slave units, except they can build a brothel (before they can normally be built), and wouldn't be captured from combat except against a select few units. Those representing migrating peoples, such as the Cimbri and Helvetti, and maybe some others.

4. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

The next post has a save from four turns before the interface went out.

Um, I don't know.... I just researched the techs as they came automatically. The only thing that I did not do is anarchy from the second triumvirate back to principate (I went straight to absolute principate when I discovered that) so maybe that saved a few turns towards tech research? And I never had carthage as a vassal before the 3rd punic war. I used CTRL-W to delete the homeland fortress in Carthage because I could not conquer Carthage otherwise.

5. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

here is the file

Attached Files:

6. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

The variable named for the Gallic revolt city counter was changed in rfre, but not in rfreUtils, which is the one that cvinterface reads. So cvinterface wasn't getting a string like it needs, so it bombs out.

Anywho, this synchronizes the variable names. Just replace assets/python/rfreUtils.py with this one (unzipped).

The turn of the savegame doesn't matter.

Since the techs are borked, you might want to just rewind some and start with the 200AD map. That will put things back in line. No more CCL (250th!) Mercenary legion :eek:

I'll look over the techs and see what got messed up.

Attached Files:

7. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Found it:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8268551&postcount=668

A bug it is. It just needs to be done in a different way to avoid it. There can be some pre-req building and only place 4 of them. Unconquerable, unbuildable, and does nothing else. Which 4 cities then? Capua, Pergamum, ??, ??.

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

When was the main craze for gladiators? That would give us a clue for the places to put them in.

female slaves> I think were getting too caught up in details here. Brothels already represent that and correct me if I'm wrong, but many female slaves would become camp followers. Brothels need a counterweight too them as currently theyre all bonus. Most other buildings have even a small negative. Such as a +1% maintnence boost.

soundtrack>do you want me to put one together using tracks from Rome Total War and Diadochi Total War? I got the Diadochi tracks for free so I personaly am breaking no copyright laws.

9. Ultimate Genera

Ultimate Genera Chieftain

Hi, some new curiosities again:

The year now is 28 BC.

1. When Antonius was defeated and Egyptian cities were given to Rome, there were no units in these cities. When compared with what happened with Pergamum (lots of units were in the given cities), this was surprising and annoying, when some barbaric units came from the desert at the same time...

2. I declared war against Herod in 32 BC and took Jerusalem, because it was between my holdings in Syria and Egypt and they weren't willing to make OB agreement. Shouldn't Herod be Rome's vassal? What was supposed to happen?

3. Just to mention, the gauls declared war against teutons and destroyed their civ just after I had defeated their forces south of the Alps during the Cimbrian war.

4. The homeland fortresses in Franks, Pannonia and Aquinqum are a problem to me, because Rome conquered all these areas.

5. I would be happy with some more slaves, but it just might be my own fault, I built many catastas early in the game. Roadbuilding is progressing well now when I can use also my legions for that (no wars).

6. 36 turns of anarchy when adopting Pax Romana??

7. Just to be sure, when you added 50 turns for the period 100-0BC, did you remember to change the techs and turn-dependable events accordingly? There are some problems now: Caesar assasinated around year 58BC, and when I captured Jerusalem 30BC it said something "Nero: Jerusalem sacked", and commerce-tech was invented in 34BC. Without this additional 36 turns anarchy the techs might be just that 50 turns ahead.

8. Why is there such a huge empty area in northeast Gaul? I could easily place there at least one city. Would it make the Gauls too powerful?

9. Some cities are in non-historic locations:
    A) Vindobona is modern-day Wien, so it should be along the Danube
    B) Corfinium is located too north, it is closer the "Samnites"-city. You could just rename Corfinium to e.g. Ariminum and Samnites to Corfinium.

10. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

Finlay, it is fixed :) ! Now I can get some fun out of 200AD map.

Anyway, I was reading a book about Celts (also called Gauls) when my family and me were on the seaside this week and the first part of the book was about wars between Rome and Cisalpine Gauls. With all the events in that time it gave me an idea about a new map starting for example in 350BC and covering the 3 samnite wars, Latin war and the first major change in roman army (change from hoplites to Legions) so the expansion of Rome over the Italian peninsula.

11. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> When was the main craze for gladiators?

It'd have to be proportional to the size of the Empire. There are some cities listed, but I need to look up what they would correspond to in game cities.

> female slaves> I think were getting too caught up in details here. Brothels already represent that

Sure. The only difference is that a few could be built earlier than the tech "Julius and Claudius and Flavian Dynasties" allows.

12. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

So are some others:
    -Neapolis should be next to Capua not so far south,
    -Croton should be one tile northeast of its current location.

13. Ultimate Genera

Hi, why is it that when I finally got the Pax Romana after 36 turns of anarchy, my tax incomes collapsed from 1348 to 1027? During the anarchy period I conquered some minor towns so taxes should have grown a bit. I compared the details before and after the anarchy period and the reason was that many of my cities lost most of their trade routes (trade route incomes e.g. Salonae from 8 to 2, Sais 8 to 2, Lugdunum 4 to 0, Ancyra 4 to 0, Thessalonica 8 to 6 and so on). All these trade routes were domestic, so changes in foreign policy couldn't affect (during anarchy war began against Parthia). This doesn't seem right, considering Pax Romana was the golden age of Roman economy.

EDIT: this might have something to do with a mysterious building which appeared in every city: "un-do's trade route doubling". If this is supposed to happen, the civic is rather useless, I mean it should bring commerce and if it doesn't, who wants to use it?

I'm sorry I only bring problems here, but I don't understand so much about modding (especially python) that I could bring solutions. Hope you don't know all these problems already so I'll bring you at least new information.

14. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> finally got the Pax Romana after 36 turns of anarchy

Duh, I found what was wrong with this. In onTechAcquired it was looking for "Pax Romana" when it should have been looking for "Commerce". Commerce is a tech, whereas Pax Romana is a civic :blush:

It should be given to you, the 34 turns is to keep you from going back to it since there is no XML way to make techs obsolete. There's probably a better way, but for now it's an option.

> I'm sorry I only bring problems here

There are plenty of things to contribute without doing any modding. Problems need to be found, and balance needs to be achieved! Read up on the history, play test, and provide feedback ;)

> un-do's trade route doubling

Yes, it's intentional, though it doesn't work exactly like hoped.

It's a scenario problem in that all of the cities were founded at the same time, and there are a lot of cities! Since they all started at the same time, they all have their trade routes doubled at the same time. So there is this massive jump in income on some turn :mad: The problem for a historical scenario is that there is no control over this. I don't know how to keep the economy balanced (as well as it is anyway) while accounting for this. Thus was born the "un-do trade route doubing" buildings to try to keep the economy in check.

It's not a good solution, but till something better comes along it will stand. Probably the best fix is to go into the SDK and stop the routes from doubling. Or, add in some way to set the "founding" for the cities so that there isn't this massive jump in income on some turn.

I could use some help to fix the tech timer. sulla was set to 37 turns, but I think it should be 42.

275 - 155 = 10 techs
    155 - 136BC = 11th tech (150 - 100 is 2 years/turn)
    136 - 112 = 12th tech
    112 - 64BC = Sulla
    64 - 52BC = Triumvirate
    52 - 40BC = Dictator + Agrarian (Dictator is only 10 turn and Agrarian is 2 turns)
    40 - 28BC = Augustus
    28 - 4BC = commerce/GA (0 - 100AD is 2 years/turn)
    4 - 14AD = SE
    14 - 42AD = WM
    42 - 66AD = jul claud
    92 - 124AD = golden age (100 - 175 is 3 years/turn) <-- needs to be 12 + 13 turns = 25 turns
    124 - 190AD = philosopher + commodus
    190 - 214AD = Severan
    214 - 238 = Crisis
    238 - 262 = Soldier
    262 - 286 = Diocletian
    286 - 296 = Goths
    296 - 308 = Franks
    308 - 320 = Constantine
    320 - 344 = Conversion

The p8 games are off of this, but how much??? Sulla was 5 too short. Is that all that is wrong?

The explanation is probably the civIII anarchy turns. There is no research during civil war/anarchy in civIII, and I never accounted for that till now!

15. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> 1. When Antonius was defeated and Egyptian cities were given to Rome, there were no units in these cities. When compared with what happened with Pergamum (lots of units were in the given cities), this was surprising and annoying, when some barbaric units came from the desert at the same time...

Yep, you need to ferry some units down asap to represent Augustus' invasion force. Antony's troops in Aegytpus didn't fight, but the Augustan troops had to be there to force closure of the civil war.

> 2. I declared war against Herod in 32 BC and took Jerusalem, because it was between my holdings in Syria and Egypt and they weren't willing to make OB agreement. Shouldn't Herod be Rome's vassal? What was supposed to happen?

Ehhh... something went wrong then.

Judea should become a vassal on turn 187 (around 63BC if the techs were correct), and then become a province (ie merge) around 6AD.

> 3. Just to mention, the gauls declared war against teutons and destroyed their civ just after I had defeated their forces south of the Alps during the Cimbrian war.

This happened for me too. I think it's ok. No border with the Germanics was peaceful for too long.

> 4. The homeland fortresses in Franks, Pannonia and Aquinqum are a problem to me, because Rome conquered all these areas.

Pannonia is supposed to go away in 8AD or so along with generating lots of units here. It was a large concern at the time, and Agrippa dying didn't help either!

> 8. Why is there such a huge empty area in northeast Gaul? I could easily place there at least one city. Would it make the Gauls too powerful?

The wild frontier!

> 9. Some cities are in non-historic locations:
    A) Vindobona is modern-day Wien, so it should be along the Danube
    B) Corfinium is located too north, it is closer the "Samnites"-city. You could just rename Corfinium to e.g. Ariminum and Samnites to Corfinium.

Some compromises have to be made unless the map is made much bigger. 1 goal was to take less time than civIII RFRE did.

16. Ultimate Genera

Must be something else too, because I had the commerce tech in 34 BC. I can look some my saves and figure out when exactly my game went out of schedule.

17. Ultimate Genera

At least in my game there was something fishy with the Sulla tech. Everything is ok when I begin researching it in year 112, besides that it will take those 37 turns. But then happens something and in 79 BC the tech research is almost entirely green, although it still says Sullas rule is 12 turns away. Then next turn I got the tech, year 78 BC - 14 turns too early. After that triumvirate 67BC
    dictator + agrarian 58BC
    age of augustus 46BC
    commerce 34BC

18. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

The un-do's trade route doubling building don't works correctly. Many city have 0 trade routes after the building is added to the city. When I removed the un-do's trade route doubling building from the city with 0 trade routes with wordbuilder the city had 3 trade routes. So the city with the un-do's trade route doubling building should have at least 1 trade route. I lost a lot of money because of that in my game.

19. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

One of the big game play changes in p8 was the additional turns to help out Caesar's Gallic campaign, etc. How did this turn out?

Any other balance items to change?

20. Ultimate Genera

It seems that the tech timer problems are with Sulla, after commerce all has been OK.

Well I haven't played the previous versions, but without those 50 turns I would be badly behind the schedule. I just finished my conquests with capturing Babylon in 96AD, but I left Pontus with three cities as vassal.

I my game Mithridates was rather weak, Pontus never attacked me and I defeated and made them surrender rather easily sometimes 50BC.

BTW, will my vassals remain so forever or are they going to attac Rome during the crisis? At least the Armenians changed sides between Rome and Parthia, if I remeber correctly (well, in my game the Parthians had conquered Armenia long before I got there, but Pontus could cause me problems in the future).

Numidians were surprisingly strong, but I guess that's realistic? They took two of my westernmost African cities when the war began after I defeated Carthage in about 100BC, before I destroyed their army and started my own advance.

Sertorius caused much trouble, because my troops were on the other side of the republic and he had a few strong legions, but that's realistic too.

Alltogether the game seems to be well balanced, IMO the experience is much better than in CivIII.