1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

More turns is the last resort! Many other things can be done first.

Do understand that the army was stretched really thin during certain periods, and that conquest might not be what you suppose it to be. Many civs should be vassals at some point since the Empire was simply too busy to be able to absorb them.

The big thing still missing in p9 is the actions of the Huns. The rest seems fine, but the Huns are a big part so it will take a little longer to make a decent representation for them. It'll be 2-3 more days. 1st pass of the Huns might be in today, but I want to play the 400AD some as the WRE, and then as the ERE to see how it goes. Alliances need to be reviewed since the default is with Rome, but during this period there is ERE and WRE.

2. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13103

The 500AD scenario is actually playable, but Ajidica can produce a much better version :D Hopefully all of the necessary collateral is there so we can just download the improved version someday.

I only played 400AD enough to see if everything was working reasonably. freeVassal never did seem to either fail or work, so for now the barbarian alliances will give you some troops, a RoP, and they will declare war on whoever (WRE usually) is at war at the moment.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Excellent. :goodjob:

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'll dl it and give it a go. I'll need to do some reading to make sure I get all the key events.

5. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

I downloaded and unzipped the file twice but I cannot get it to run. Is anyone else having trouble?

RFRE p8 ran fine on my computer. However, I recently updated BTS from version 3.17 to 3.19. Would that have altered anything in my Warlords folder or the main Civ4 files? Maybe that is the problem. But before I go to the trouble to delete and reinstall Civ4, Warlords, and BTS from their disks, I was hoping to get some feedback.

Also, I am running Windows XP. Maybe I remember wrong, but I think PStew mentioned in an earlier post that he was switching from a computer with XP to one with Vista. If the python script for p9 was built to run with Vista as the operating system, could that be causing my problems?

6. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

I have it to gringoesteban. If I try to run a map the game crashes.

When I was looking at the folder later, I found out that most of the files are missing (there are now XML files, now python files...)! I have downloaded two times so it is not a bad download.

7. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Whoops. The dll needs to be outside of the .fpk file too. I forget to add it back after fpking. I'll reupload.

If you already have it, either unfpk or just copy the dll from p8. It goes in Assets.

8. Ajidica

Did you pak the whole mod? Because I don't see any XML, Python, Art, ect, Folders. I'll try unpaking it.

Comments:
    I havent played the mod but some things I noticed after going through release notes.

>Stratiotes should be renamed to Skutatoi. I have never heard the name Stratiotes, but Skutatoi was a common name for Byzantine Infantry. Other names could be Hoplitai or Konarotai
    >Cataphracts should be Bucellarii, as at the time, Byzantine units were distiguished not by equipment but by regiment. Cataphract was a way to equip cavalry while the Bucellarii was the name of the regiments that would likely have worn it. (Bucellari were the elite of the elite. The other Byzantine cavalry would be the late roman cavalry.)
    >why do fort def bonus stack with forest? When building a fort the romans would remove alot of the forest so they could see barbs sneaking across the border.

Pedia Comments (A whole lot)
    >Why doesn't Atilla have the saddleback trait?
    >Goths/Visigoths share Alaric as leader. Goths should get theirs replaced. Are they going to represent the initial invaders or the Ostrogoths?
    >A later German ruler might be nice showing greater raiding of the empire. Chnodomarius perhaps? (Battle of Strasbourg)
    >Burgundians are using Arminius as the leader. Replace him with Gundobad?
    >Perhaps the Bretons could get a different leader instead of Boudicca? She was only leader for about half a year IIRC. What was her husbands name again?
    >Avars should get Goar as leader as opposed to Paratua.
    >Armoured Slinger is still using an archer model.
    >The art looks to much like the Nikephoran Cataphracts. Perhaps use the early heavy cavalry bakuel made.
    >I was thinking the Great Artist needed a new name. Great Thespian/Philosopher perhaps?
    >Why aren't Hannibal/Hasbrudal on an elephant, as thats what their unittype is? Or are elephants included in the total unit?
    >Limitani/Mercenary legions need different art. They are both around in the same time.
    >Nubian Comp Archer, Falxman, Persian Saggitarius have wrong anim. IIRC Falxman uses Samurai. Saggitarius is using Nubian art, shouldn't something mre greek be used?
    >Rex Sahpor/Surena should be mounted. I believe Sakhr made some persian art that would work well there.

Stuff I can do:
    >If you want I can get a mosaic pic for Honorius so he doesn't look like a consul.
    >I might have a pic for atilla although it would be a tad romanticesed. I'll check to see who was Atilla sucessor.

Initial Impressions:
    >The 400 AD map looks good, however I didn't look at it too heavily.
    >How are Justinians capaigns going to be handled? Will it be a player based thing or will python tell the player to move his armies?
    >Ostrogothic leader should be different, Theodoric or Totilla. Geiseric was of the Vandals.
    >A cataphract or two in Constantinople to represent the Praesental armies is needed.
    >Ostrogoths or the peach colored barbs should have a city 3w of Mediolanum and 2n. I'm blanking out on the name.
    >A noble or two should be in Ostrogothic italy to represent the household troops.
    >the city Pictii should still be barb, possibly spawning less barbs.
    >Throw a barb city in Ireland for the heck of it, it looks a bit empty.
    >Namnetes+Gergovia should be Franks. (Battle of Vouille)
    >Vindobona has a Auxilia Palatina despite being a German city.
    >ERE needs city 1e and 3n of Carrhae named Dara, moderate defences.
    >The road below Sardica and 2 to the east should be roman roads, representing the Via Egnata (wrong spelling).
    >If possible give the ERE and Ostrogoths decent relations. Until Justinian declared war on them, the Ostrogoths were technicaly an Imperial vassal but completly autonomus. The Ostrogoths allowed Justinian to use ports on Sicily to hold his Vandal fleet.

I'll check on how accurate the army is. My initial impressions is a few less limitani and a few more Eques Legionares.

Are you going to be including the soundtrack from Diadochi Total War? I think the next release is ready to be formaly announced.

Wow, I just realized, this mod was announced 3 years ago yesterday. Good work. It has progressed alot since then.

9. Ajidica

I tried a game in the 400AD scenario as the WRE to experiance barbarian invaisions, and they aren't fun. (In a good way. That means theyre working) Unfortunatly I only got to year 414 as a big bug occured then. BAsicaly, if I attacked a Pict in northern britain the game would go through the animation but right at the end that specific animation would freeze. Then although I could move the camera around, and other animations in other areas would work, I couldn't select any other thing and couldn't end turn. Then I tried not ending attacking the unit and instead just ended turn, however the end turn function wouldn't work. I tried clicking on it and hitting enter and the button would sit there flahing red. I don know that I can get past year 414 as I have before, but I reloaded when I made a stupid move and forgot to reposition my forces to counter the Visigoths in Spain. Some things I've noticed:
    >My Consular Legion is in Ravenna is weaker than a comitatenses (shouldn't it be upgraded to be stronger?) and it was lead by Pompey who had been dead for a while.
    >The Foederati mechanic is cool. If the game goes on long enough it will feel like your wielding a heterogenous 'warlord' army.
    >A popup describing a bit about the barbarian horde currently invading you when it spawns would be nice. If only to let you know the Visigoths appeared in Spain.
    >Where is Alarics Goths who should have sacked Rome? I didn't even encounter some devestation. Perhaps add a new unit 'Copiae Gothi' which can't size cities. Thus you can have these spawn where minor supergroups ransacked an area.
    >Switch the art for Navic Actuaria and Navis Barbariche. Lateen sails on Navis Barbariche is incorrect as Lateen sails were a mediterainian investions.
    >I tried 400AD ans ERE and no problems. I'll try WRE again. An issue arises when I get Alliance with the burgundians, as the burgundians aren't in the game and don't spawn. (At least that I can see). IIRC the WRE should be getting most of the alliance techs. Also, If we each finish the tech on the same turn, I'll get the alliance as IIRC I'm player 0, so in a race I get the reward first.
    >It is boring as the ERE. I got to 422 and all that has happened for me is I killed two Arab Raiders and they each became Foederati. I was also running at +50 gold despite taking no specific measures to boost my economy.

I will try it again as the ERE to see if the problem persists. I did however take some pretty good screenshots.

>The logs may not be completly accurate as they might be only from the EoT bug I had.
    >'newmenusong' replace the warlords theme with the 'Lost Souls' music from Rome Total War. Just replace your existing audodefines.

Screenshots:
    >09: Uldins Horde is rampaging across Pannonia. (My first thought was O Dear)
    >10:The Field Armies are being gathered to meet Uldin in battle.
    >14: Uldin tries to take a city by storm.
    >15: Visigoths start rampaging in Spain. (This surprised me as I expected them to travel there not appear there.)
    >16: The Rhine Invaders. The Barbarians have crossed the frozen Rhine as Honorius contemplates pulling troops out of Britain.
    >22: Hadrians Wall is breached by Picts! Reserve units are called up.

Attached Files:

10. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

> Did you pak the whole mod?

Almost! Surprisingly only a few things need to be outside of fpk files. It should load quickest this way.

>> >15: Visigoths start rampaging in Spain. (This surprised me as I expected them to travel there not appear there.)

That would be cool, but it's doubtful it would work out (against a human player). There is code such that any remaining Vandals from the 1st wave will join the 2nd wave, but for the most part they are distinct.

Just wait till the 3rd wave shows up :mischief:

The West will loose much land, esp the AI since it fails to mount much if any counterattack. A human can probably salvage the WRE, for now at least.

The immobile promo had to be given to the border units so the AI couldn't strip them all away. The AI is very city centric whereas historically the Romans tried very hard to maintain the borders.

> >The Foederati mechanic is cool. If the game goes on long enough it will feel like your wielding a heterogenous 'warlord' army.

The commitatus/eques legionair/cataphract enslavement will help here too. Parts of many tribes fought on both sides at various times. For 500AD you might want to give the ERE some such units. Probably 400AD needs some too, but I didn't spend much time on the historical army composition. The map is about right, and the economy is ok. Many of the historical events are there, but not all. My main concerns were advancing the tech tree, and making sure the economy was reasonable.

> >My Consular Legion is in Ravenna is weaker than a comitatenses (shouldn't it be upgraded to be stronger?) and it was lead by Pompey who had been dead for a while.

Except for Belisarius, who was a general, they don't have as much combat value as before. More logistical with healing support. Also, they are the only unit that can still build via publica. The barbs will surely pillage your roads.

> >Where is Alarics Goths who should have sacked Rome? I didn't even encounter some devestation. Perhaps add a new unit 'Copiae Gothi' which can't size cities. Thus you can have these spawn where minor supergroups ransacked an area.

They are MIA! The Alliance with Lombards tech doesn't do anything yet either. I was burnt out adding things. It can all be done in python, so added later.

There should be some more events added in the 4th century too.

> >I tried 400AD ans ERE and no problems. I'll try WRE again. An issue arises when I get Alliance with the burgundians, as the burgundians aren't in the game and don't spawn. (At least that I can see). IIRC the WRE should be getting most of the alliance techs. Also, If we each finish the tech on the same turn, I'll get the alliance as IIRC I'm player 0, so in a race I get the reward first.

Player 0 does decide the order the techs some in, but WRE will get the troops, and give up the land. As ERE you can try to help out WRE, but you are certainly limited and need to worry about the Persians. With Justinian things improve significantly in both units and reduced cost, but till then it will be difficult to exert much influence.

> leaders

Yes, many updates can be made to them. I just didn't spend the time looking all of them up. Easy to change them though!

11. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

Army at Zama sill don't work. I can kill it but noting relay happened.

Here is my PythonErr.log file. There is something about Army at Zama in it.

Attached Files:

12. Ajidica

>Cataphracts are way to cheap. 95p for one of the best units in the game? They should be at least 250 if not 300.

>ERE+WRE racing for tech: So as the WRE I will still get the benefits of it? Thats nice.
    >Foederati units: Actualy, in the start of the 400's, the barbarian regiments in the army were equiped in much the same way as the rest of the army. It was only when the Romans started hiring full tribes to fight for them when the heterogenous army began. Eg: Flavius Aetius and Chalons. Perhaps the Huns could get that if they're fighting a barbarian civ, as the Huns weren't quite as into extermination and skull pyramids as the Mongols were. The Huns actualy subjugated quite a few tribes. If you wish I could list them off. The Key one were the existing barb civs, Ostrogoths, and Getae(Slavs).
    In the 500's, the Byzantine army had a large barbarian contingent but these were equiped as Foederati with Byzantine arms and armour. The only 'pure' barbarian units that they used alot were Ghassanid Arabs in Palestine, Berber/Numidian light cavalry in Italy after the NA expidition, 'German' cavalry, and Hun auxilaries. The enslaving might want to be removed for Justinian as by this time the key barbarian tribes had settled down into somewhat recognizable nation-states. However, you could give all his cavalry the 'Foederati' promo which is a small to moderate strength increase. Then in the reign of the Emperor Maurice, (mid 580's) the Foederati promo could be removed as he replaced alot of the Foederati regiments.

>Barb Hordes: A popup would be nice letting you know of the horde and a bit of back info about it. Eg:
    Initial Vandals: "A massive barbarian horde of Vandals and Alans has crossed the Rhine when it was frozen. A majority of them are heading to Spain, burning and pillaging their way across Gaul."
    Vandals in Spain: "A massive group of Vandals and Avars have made their way to Spain and show all intents to settle down there."

We do need a 'devestation' terrain improvement or something like that to show where a horde has been. Possibly a recolored or modiefied city ruins.

>In my game as the WRE, Uldin converted to Christianity in 408, despite owning only 1 city with Christianity. Since we don't want him getting buddy with the barbs, give him the FfH Agnostic trait?
    >Bellatores Loricatii Vandalii (an similar units) shouldn't be 12 strength. They should be equal to Comitatenses. Its already stacked in favor of the barbs as they have stacks of Bellatores Loricatii there and you may only have 1 comitatenses in the area.
    >Limitani need some improvement for offensive actions. Currenly they are far too weak.
    >Persian Off-Map cities should give a military production bonus.
    >Persian Clibanarii need Bakuels new art.
    >When I got a treaty with the Burgundii, two Auxilia Palatina were ejected from Vienne and just sat there as they couldn't move. Could immobile garrisons be sent to the nearest city or given a short movement duration?

>Visigoths: There's a third wave?!?!?!?!:faint: Oh crap, there goes NA.

>If your interested, I started an AAR in the Stories and Tales about my campaign as the WRE. I haven't gotten very far as I spent alot of time on Uldins Huns, but please offer comments.

13. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Ughhh.. :blush: attached is what I hope will finally fix the Army at Zama problem! Also there was a bug in the Telamon code. Telamon was the main battle from when the Cisalpine Gauls invaded.

If that doesn't work... do please post a savegame.

>In my game as the WRE, Uldin converted to Christianity in 408, despite owning only 1 city with Christianity. Since we don't want him getting buddy with the barbs, give him the FfH Agnostic trait?

What's missing is Arianism. Most of the tribes converted to Christianity sometime during the 6th century, but were Arianism till then.

>Bellatores Loricatii Vandalii (an similar units) shouldn't be 12 strength. They should be equal to Comitatenses. Its already stacked in favor of the barbs as they have stacks of Bellatores Loricatii there and you may only have 1 comitatenses in the area.

We'll see how this can play out. By the time of Constantine's reorg manpower was in every shorter supply. Long gone were the days when Rome could raise 80,000 troops quickly (eg Cannae).

>Limitani need some improvement for offensive actions. Currenly they are far too weak.

There were certainly exceptions, but overall the opinion seems to be that their effectiveness was low. These were small units too. They are cheap though, so just build lots of them! I considered given them a -1 cost, which is probably right but it's just a really strange thing to see.

>Persian Off-Map cities should give a military production bonus.

Those cities should all have homeland fortresses, which gives quite a boost already.

Is Persian recovery too long?

>Persian Clibanarii need Bakuels new art.

I just found his Hunnic artwork today. Next patch!

I'm not satisfied with the Comitantenses art. The army converted to using spears as the primary weapon. Swords were the secondary armament. Shields should be the oval type, and for the Merc legion and Limitani too. A beard would be good too.

>When I got a treaty with the Burgundii, two Auxilia Palatina were ejected from Vienne and just sat there as they couldn't move. Could immobile garrisons be sent to the nearest city or given a short movement duration?

They should just be destroyed.

>Visigoths: There's a third wave?!?!?!?! Oh crap, there goes NA.

Vandals yes. Good luck trying to stop them :p

The Visigoths, Vandals, and Franks will hopefully expand on their own, but I never played long enough to see.

>Cataphracts are way to cheap. 95p for one of the best units in the game? They should be at least 250 if not 300.

14 is probably better since 16 is higher than Attila, and maybe 1 extra cost in addition to some more hammers.

My thought was that not very many cities can quickly create units. So if there is to be any hope of reconquest the units would have to build quick and be cheap to maintain. Hopefully you will need a navy too, so more stuff to build.

Anyway, the 500AD scenario will dictate what it needs to be.

If you make any edits in WB the header will have to be replaced after wards.

>ERE+WRE racing for tech: So as the WRE I will still get the benefits of it? Thats nice.

Effectively ERE has about a 100 year pause of no progress while the WRE is busy trading territory for alliances :crazyeye:

Attached Files:

• rfre.7z
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Ajidica

Persian off-map cities>I'll have to play as the ERE more to see what the persians will do. They do have a cooldown counter now, right?

12str Bellatores>manpower problems are alreay represented in how few real units you have. On an open field battle, the Roman Comitatenses were almost impossible to beat. They were better armed and trained then almost all of the barbarian troops. They should be equal to Comitatenses in strength, because with terrain bonus's, it is still hard to counterattack when you have no skirmisher units. The WRE should get a weaker version of the Syrian archers. (Can't remember their name).

Limitani>I'll play more to see how they do. They are pretty ineffective as they are generaly half the strength of same era barb units and weaker even than the inital Roman Legion. It doesn't feel right that to retake a city the Romans would have to bring a bigger army than the barbs.

cataphracts to cheap>if you want to have the reconquest happen, then perhaps cheapen stratiotes. The cataphracts were the elite heavy cavalry in the Roman army. The Eques Legionares are the run of the mill ERE heavy cavalry. They do need a slight boost for Justinians time.

I've played more of my WRE campaign and some more things I've noticed:
    >Limitani are fine for their job, defending in cities holding off the big units while my comitatenses. Unfortunatly this results in a high limitani casualty rate, so I have to take cities off building wealth and building limitanis, further crashing my economy. You know a mod is excellent where it replicates history in spots without any python prodding.

>The German War Code might need a boost. I've been stripping units from the frontiers in moderate amounts, but the Allemani still haven't declared war on me yet. The Persians did declare war on the ERE, but I'm not sure how long it will last as it was only a moderate size stack of clibanarii.

>You might want to consider changing the Eques Legionares art to bakuels byzantinehorsemanunarmouredhorse. It might be slightly more realistic as roman cavalry at this period generaly had smaller shields except for the scholae units. I might be wrong. My knowledge of this the weapons of this time period isn't the best and the one book I have on it sucks. (The author thinks that all romans at this time went unarmoured. Idiot.)

>The cataphract should be changed to byzantinehorsemanarmouredhorse.
    >I don't know if it is possible, but is there any way to represent the sea raids on britain by the Saxons? Perhaps in python it could read spawn X saxons in tiles X, if spawn is in sea give it boats.

>Why is the religion of Sharpur Olympian Gods? At this time Zoroastrian under the Sassanids was a very intolerant religion, so perhaps with the coming of the Sassanids all other religions could be removed from Sassanid cities. Also, the Parthians were Zoroastrian, so there should be Zoroastrianism at the start of the game.
    >When I got my Numeri Visigothi, I only got three of them as opposed to 4 Numeri Burgundii. Is that normal?
    >If you wish to see my ongoing AAR, here it is as the WRE in their full glory. The one comment I've gotten is 'I like it'.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8410044#post8410044

15. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

I would like to make a couple minor tweaks to the XML files before I start a game of p9. As an example, the Dacian Falxman has -15% forest defense, and I want to change that to +15%.

The problem is, when I extract p9, there is no XML folder in
    Warlords\Mods\RFRE.beta1p9\Assets

Similar issue regarding using the new rfre.py file from post #793 above to fix the Army at Zama issue. The (incorrect) rfre.py file is not showing up when I search Warlords\Mods\RFRE.beta1p9 so I cannot paste the new, corrected file over it.

Is there a way to fully extract the mod so that the XML folder with all the individual XML files appears? I assume all this stuff is buried inside pak0.fpk or CvGameCoreDLL.dll but I do not know how to get at them.

16. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

17. Jakob Safa

Jakob Safa Chieftain

I plaid till 116BC now as Zama works now. Only the Carthaginian cities in Italy remained theirs (should be given back to Rome).

Thing worth of mentioning are:
    1. Hannibal was smarter this time. He didn't foll for the usual trap of sieging a city with moenia and my entire army in it.
    2. After the second Punic war ends leave a presedium in each of Carthaginian city so they don't lose half of there remaining empire to barbarians.
    3. Bithynia, Pergamum and Pirate riders joined and wiped out Galatia.
    4. Egypt and Parthia joined and captured most of the Antigonid empire.
    5. Marius reforms should require philosophy and poetry as they can now be researched around 150BC.

18. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

>> Persian off-map cities>I'll have to play as the ERE more to see what the persians will do. They do have a cooldown counter now, right?

Yes.

> 12str Bellatores>manpower problems are alreay represented in how few real units you have. On an open field battle, the Roman Comitatenses were almost impossible to beat.

We'll see. Some re-balancing would be necessary. The worry with them being more powerful is you'll just sit them in all the cities and be able to keep the barbs at bay.

>The German War Code might need a boost.

The Germanics don't need to be so threatening. The basis is civIII where the Germanics had to represent all of the off-shoot tribes too. Here it is not so. While they should be a threat, making them too dangerous is no good.

>I don't know if it is possible, but is there any way to represent the sea raids on britain by the Saxons? Perhaps in python it could read spawn X saxons in tiles X, if spawn is in sea give it boats.

There is an event to create some Saxons around 450, but it's set to declare war on the ERE...

>Why is the religion of Sharpur Olympian Gods? At this time Zoroastrian under the Sassanids was a very intolerant religion, so perhaps with the coming of the Sassanids all other religions could be removed from Sassanid cities. Also, the Parthians were Zoroastrian, so there should be Zoroastrianism at the start of the game.

The sassanids event fires in 301, and so 400 + 500 scenarios need to give that tech to the Persians. That will make the Persians stronger, and create Zoroastrianism.

>When I got my Numeri Visigothi, I only got three of them as opposed to 4 Numeri Burgundii. Is that normal?

It's a random number between 3 and 5.

>If you wish to see my ongoing AAR, here it is as the WRE in their full glory. The one comment I've gotten is 'I like it'.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8410044#post8410044

It's very cool :goodjob: Inspirational even!

You might want to crop some of the pictures to focus on the action.

Are the Vandals underpowered, and do they need to leave some garrison units? My initial impression was that they mainly passed through Gaul and Hispania, but they did get forced out.

I will do something more elaborate with Attila, add more of the Visigoths, and some "situational" popups. There is usually some message, but it probably scrolls by without much notice.

Does anyone want to write up the 400 + 500AD intros? My only idea was to lead the 500AD into with the Comitatenses drinking song :D

19. Ajidica

>I can write up the intros. The earliest you'll get them is tomorrow. The Vandals weren't underpowered. It was mainly an 'oh crap' moment when they came through but then I was able to mobilize my Foederati and they were ejected.

>The Sassanid even should fire around 226 when the Sassanid Dynasty was founded.

Bellatores Vandali>Perhaps give them a minus when on open terrain such as plains and grassland or defending in cities? The Vandals and Rome were farely evenly matched.

>Is it intentional to have so many Batavi Alae as the WRE? The pedia says they're limited units, but they feel sort of mundane when you have so many of them.

20. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Actually the TECH_SASSANIDS is worthless, and can be removed.

The python function does need to change the leader and add Zoroastrism.

>Is it intentional to have so many Batavi Alae as the WRE? The pedia says they're limited units, but they feel sort of mundane when you have so many of them.

I agree. It was just a search and replace of the Cohors Equitata Millaria.

Maybe the 5 is enough, and the rest should be replaced with infantry? I didn't spend time trying to get the right composition of the army, so perhaps the cavalry % is too high now so replacing with infantry will correct that.

Another thing missed was the extent of the Visigoths into the ERE. They had recently taken Athenae + Spartas and above! The ERE will have more work to do. The Visigoths would be really thin after such a large expansion, but when did the ERE take that area back? Apparently they should start not in position to immediately take it back without ferrying forces about.