1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire (RFRE)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by primordial stew, Aug 26, 2006.

1. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

The research is all mod specific. Basically there is a variable that decrements each turn. After it hits 0 it gets reset. Most techs are 12 turns, but the Alliance ones are 6 (there were a lot of alliances to jam in), Dictator is 9 to accommodate the Social War tech, and Sulla is.. 34 or so to make up for the rest of the slack. Anarchy doesn't matter.

I'll take a look at the save later.

2. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Do the WRE alliances (Burgundians I+II/Alans/Visigoths) come too close together?

190 - 214 = Severan
    214 - 238 = Crisis
    238 - 262 = Soldier
    262 - 286 = Diocletian
    286 - 298 = Goths (6 turns)
    298 - 310 = Franks (6 turns)
    310 - 334 = Constantine
    334 - 358 = Christianity
    396 >>> WRE created by Division of Theodoseus on turn 435
    358 - 402 = burgundian I/visigoths (22 turns)
    402 - 414 = burgundian I/visigoths (6 turns)
    414 - 426 = burgundian II/alans (6 turns)
    426 - 438 = burgundian II/alans (6 turns)
    438 - 500 = greek fire (31 turns)
    500 - 524 = Justinian

Attached is the rfre.py that implements the above. Note that continuing a 200AD map will have a 4 year (2 turn) offset to these dates. Starting a new 200AD game will work as above. 400AD+500AD maps should be restarted.

This also fixes a few miscellaneous problems.

Note that if continuing a 200AD or 275BC game, you must load from a save prior to starting to research either Burgundian I or Visigoths! Otherwise the counter won't get set right, and the game will CTD when reaching the first of these 2 since the WRE does not exist yet.

Any more feedback on 200AD? I tried the strategy of dividing my army to attack both Palmyra and Gaul at the same time. Palmyra fell easily enough, but Gaul grew in power and it wasn't until ~330AD that they finally fell!!!

Attached Files:

• rfre.7z
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Ultimate Genera

Ultimate Genera Chieftain

Hello again!

I had much work to do during autumn so I had no time to play CIV, but now I have my christmas holidays and so I downloaded p10 and tested the 275BC scenario. I played it until the game crashed year 291 AD.

Some bug-like things and other remarks:

1. If the punic wars won't occur as supposed, python fails. Example: I had 1st and 2nd punic wars without peace in between. Then Carthage became vassal, as supposed, when I destroyed army at Zama. But after a while Carthage became independent (claiming I hadn't protected them). I had to declare war and take Lilybaeum, which had left for them after surrendering. Then we had peace again, until Carthage declared war on turn 127. I captured Carthage, but they didn't merge.
    Solution: I modified rfre.py so that in part "onCityAcquired" there is elif ( cityName == 'Carthago' and iPunicWarCount > 2)" instead of ==3. Then loaded game and Carthage merged.

2. Will the road through the Alps be built if Gaul destroys Rex Teutobod?

3. Iceni rebellion is rather weird, as they had no units. I just marched back to Eburacum. This was confusing.

4. Jewish revolts: Why they have same colour as Seleucids? Now theirs and Seleucids areas overlap, as they were same player. Otherwise everything is OK.

5. Year 68AD changes principate to triumvirate republic. Is this supposed to happen, and why?

6. Same year, 68AD, there is message "Batavi revolt", but nothing happens. Is this something that just isn't done yet?

7. Tehcnologies were about corret as far as 185AD, when I had 2 turns left to Folly of Commodus. But then for some reason I got it next turn, and had 1 turn left to Severan Dynasty! For some time I reverted techs with worldbuilder, but during Gallic empire it was too hard to keep count on how many turns I should have to next tech (as the tech advance never came back to normal), and I ended up with 1 turn to Alliance with the Goths in year 291.

8. Carthago Nova still doesn't contribute to captured cities -counter when attacking the Gallic empire. This is apparently because in rfre.py, in part "onCityAcquired" it first tests if Rome captured Carthago Nova "elif ( cityName == 'Carthago Nova' and self.turnOffset == 0):" and only if this isn't true, it tests if Rome captured Gallic city during crisis. Solution: for example to add in the elif Cathago Nova -part a new constraint "Carthage is alive".

9. Christianity still doesn't spread. In year 291 I had it only in those cities, where it appeared when it was founded.

10. About the crash: when ending turn year 291AD, it says Civ stopped working and Windows is searcing solution. In year 291 I had 1 turn to Alliance with the Goths, so my guess is that something went wrong with this tech. Maybe it has something to do with that the techs were already out of schedule and I had reverted them many times with the worldbuilder.

11. About the balance: slowing down the city growth was good. Especially after the granaries became obsolete and plague spread through the empire, it became a significant problem. Economic balance is now much better, the 20k max forced me to disband some units when Pax Romana ended, as I couldn't run 40 turns with -800 gpt.

12. Arminius has some problems: they never declared war and when I captured some of their cities in ~10BC, they had only symbolic defense there. I looked the statistics figure, there Arminius' power graph repeatedly grew steadily and collapsed back to some base value after reaching some max value. Maybe they are producing too many units so that some collapse occurs? Anyhow as it is now, they are not dangerous (at least before 291AD).

I think I'll next try some other scenario instead of wondering why the game crashed.

4. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Welcome back ;)

>> 1. If the punic wars won't occur as supposed, python fails. Example: I had 1st and 2nd punic wars without peace in between. Then Carthage became vassal, as supposed, when I destroyed army at Zama. But after a while Carthage became independent (claiming I hadn't protected them). I had to declare war and take Lilybaeum, which had left for them after surrendering. Then we had peace again, until Carthage declared war on turn 127. I captured Carthage, but they didn't merge.
    Solution: I modified rfre.py so that in part "onCityAcquired" there is elif ( cityName == 'Carthago' and iPunicWarCount > 2)" instead of ==3. Then loaded game and Carthage merged.

:goodjob:

>> 2. Will the road through the Alps be built if Gaul destroys Rex Teutobod?

The mountain->hill in 26,37 only happens if the Romans capture Tuetonari from the Cimbri. I changed this so the pass is created whenever Tuetonari is captured from the Cimbri.

The mountain->hill in 29,38 (between Mediolanum and Tuetonari) is always changed on the turn the Cimbri attack.

>> 3. Iceni rebellion is rather weird, as they had no units. I just marched back to Eburacum. This was confusing.

Ehhh.. something unexpected happened. That one needs to be done in a different way.

4. Jewish revolts: Why they have same colour as Seleucids? Now theirs and Seleucids areas overlap, as they were same player. Otherwise everything is OK.

>> 5. Year 68AD changes principate to triumvirate republic. Is this supposed to happen, and why?

The govt changes when the Triumvirate tech is reached. It's done to avoid the anarchy and to set it appropriately.

>> 6. Same year, 68AD, there is message "Batavi revolt", but nothing happens. Is this something that just isn't done yet?

Good catch. It's just a historical note, and nothing more.

>>7. Tehcnologies were about corret as far as 185AD, when I had 2 turns left to Folly of Commodus. But then for some reason I got it next turn, and had 1 turn left to Severan Dynasty! For some time I reverted techs with worldbuilder, but during Gallic empire it was too hard to keep count on how many turns I should have to next tech (as the tech advance never came back to normal), and I ended up with 1 turn to Alliance with the Goths in year 291.

The research bar is still correct.

>> 8. Carthago Nova still doesn't contribute to captured cities -counter when attacking the Gallic empire. This is apparently because in rfre.py, in part "onCityAcquired" it first tests if Rome captured Carthago Nova "elif ( cityName == 'Carthago Nova' and self.turnOffset == 0):" and only if this isn't true, it tests if Rome captured Gallic city during crisis. Solution: for example to add in the elif Cathago Nova -part a new constraint "Carthage is alive".

Ok, I moved the isAlive check into the "elif Carthago Nova" check.

>> 9. Christianity still doesn't spread. In year 291 I had it only in those cities, where it appeared when it was founded.

Yeah, I noticed that too... Christianity has iSpreadFactor set to 30 (Judiasm is 2, everything else is 0). Perhaps that is too low. I was also going to make the missionary cost 5 instead of 40.

>> 10. About the crash: when ending turn year 291AD, it says Civ stopped working and Windows is searcing solution. In year 291 I had 1 turn to Alliance with the Goths, so my guess is that something went wrong with this tech. Maybe it has something to do with that the techs were already out of schedule and I had reverted them many times with the worldbuilder.

The rfre.py in the post above will fix that. Those techs just never were lined up properly.

>> 11. About the balance: slowing down the city growth was good. Especially after the granaries became obsolete and plague spread through the empire, it became a significant problem. Economic balance is now much better, the 20k max forced me to disband some units when Pax Romana ended, as I couldn't run 40 turns with -800 gpt.

Treasure bath :)

>> 12. Arminius has some problems: they never declared war and when I captured some of their cities in ~10BC, they had only symbolic defense there. I looked the statistics figure, there Arminius' power graph repeatedly grew steadily and collapsed back to some base value after reaching some max value. Maybe they are producing too many units so that some collapse occurs? Anyhow as it is now, they are not dangerous (at least before 291AD).

Sometimes the AIs get into the STRIKE condition where units are being disbanded. This mainly happens in 275BC since inflation accumulates much more. I don't know how to achieve the same economy in both 275BC played to 250AD, and the 200AD played to 250AD. While the turn number is the same in both, the economy is different. The only fix is to delve into the SDK and figure out why there is a difference. Unfortunately this is not a problem that many others would encounter. Perhaps in the 1939 mod if there were a sufficient number of scenarios created it would become noticeable there too.

For the Germanics I do expect them to recover once they get the Invader govt, but that isn't until 262AD. Another attempt in p10 was that CommerceChangeDoubleTimes of various buildings was added to try to counter inflation. The Germanics receive 500 gold in 98AD and then 5000 in 262AD. Finally, the city of Langobardia was given the Persian off-map building (+10 gold) in the 275BC map.

I suppose a generic monitor needs to be created that can detect if the AI is in financial trouble and address it. Then the above kludges can be removed..

Other than fixing the AI economy and revising Boudica, this has all the other changes in it:

Attached Files:

• rfre.7z
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  5. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

With the addition of the 4th Consular army (ie p10), Belisarius no longer worked.

Attached Files:

• rfre.7z
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  6. x210197pure

x210197pure Chieftain

:( The Carthaginians during the second Punic war sack all my cities except for Rome is this suppose to happen? since in the history it mention that capua, syracusae and Taranto that fell to the carthaginians.

7. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Yes, they will attack many of them. There are a few lists of objective cities, 1 of which is chosen randomly. The historical path is one of them.

Hannibal never attacked Roma, even after destroying the massive Roman army at Cannae when he could have pretty much just walked in.

8. Rathvilly

Rathvilly Emperor

Hi - i'm still getting a crash with 275 BC scenario (one turn from getting Alliance with the Goths) despite the new python. The techs are coming at the right time as per your recent post above except that on the actual tech tree the Alliance with the Franks comes before the Alliance with the Goths.

Restarted with the 200AD and that played perfectly right through to the end - once again I must say its a great scenario - touch and go at times even if you can anticipate some events ....

9. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

It must be very close at least, how many turns is it off?

I'm going to try adding the "fixed borders" (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13590) mod. Not the mission stuff (claim territory), just the core feature. It should clean up the culture problems (ie Greek cities vs each other, Eburacum vs Pictii).

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Since it has been sort of boring here lately, I thought I'd add something.
    I found a pretty good copy of O Fortuna in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles mod. Its not the overly dramatic version you normaly hear. Here it is if you want it. Here are the lyrics:
    O Fortuna

Latin
    O Fortuna;
    velut luna
    statu variabilis,
    semper crescis
    aut decrescis;
    vita detestabilis
    nunc obdurat
    et tunc curat
    ludo mentis aciem,
    egestatem,
    potestatem
    dissolvit ut glaciem.

Sors immanis
    et inanis,
    rota tu volubilis,
    status malus,
    vana salus
    semper dissolubilis,
    obumbrata
    et velata
    michi quoque niteris;
    nunc per ludum
    dorsum nudum
    fero tui sceleris.

Sors salutis
    et virtutis
    michi nunc contraria,
    est affectus
    et defectus
    semper in angaria.
    Hac in hora
    sine mora
    corde pulsum tangite;
    quod per sortem
    sternit fortem,
    mecum omnes plangite!

English

O Fortune,
    like moon
    State variable,
    ever increases
    and decreases
    life's detestable
    now obdurate
    and then cures
    alludes mind sharpness
    poverty
    power
    dissolves them as ice.

Fate monstrous
    and empty,
    wheel you whirl,
    stand malevolent,
    vain salvation
    ever dissolubles,
    shadowed
    and veiled
    to me too plagues;
    now by the game,
    my bare back
    is for your villainy

Fate in health
    and virtue,
    is now against me
    it affects
    and defects,
    ever in slavery.
    So at this hour
    without more delay
    pluck pulsing cord
    since by Fate
    strikes the strong,
    with me everyone weep!

(Lyrics ripped directly from wikipedia)

11. Civilicious

Civilicious Warlord

Great mod prime, I was wondering about the CvGameCoreDll files. Trying to figure out how to do a couple things and just wondering if you are making these available? Thanks

12. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

I can post them somewhere if you want.

All I've done is to merge some mods into it. I tried to merge in "fixed borders", but it's much more complex than the ones I've done since this one is for BtS, but there is only 1 part that didn't fit. Not sure how to resolve it though :( Another thing would be to get an actual fix for the trade route doubling problem. I've looked through the code, but it's not apparent to me what is actually doing this.

13. wolfman1234

wolfman1234 King

Hi ps, i am trying the 200Ad scenario, is great, 306AD now and all the empire is mine again. is the version in the first post up to date? or is bugged?

And, do you plan to add a 100BC scenario as in civ3 RFRE? I like a lot that date, its too dificult to me to run as hell in the 275BC scenario to match roman achievements.

Thanks for your great work. Perhaps its time to start thinking in Civ V RFRE. :)

14. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

The 275BC will still crash due to a tech misalignment. It can only be off by 1 or 2 turns... but I've been swamped trying to get a great many projects done around the house so haven't had anything extra.

Other than that.. I'm still hoping Ajidica will clean up the 500AD scenario. There are a few new graphics out. The rest I think is all in the SDK, but I don't have the skill, and haven't put in the effort to acquire it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14433 Portuguese Ancient Age Unit Pack (Celtiberians) by Bakuel
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14275 PYRRHUS of EPIRUS by The Capo
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8822479
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13590 Fixed Borders mod (for RoM 2.8) by dexy

The problem being it's for BtS!

CivV looks cool. Hopefully the basic DLL will have all of the useful features built in so there is no need to modify it!!

15. Rathvilly

Rathvilly Emperor

Good to know about the 275BC - people get busy with RL so no worries. Its enjoyable but hard to keep up with the conquests. The Punic Wars and other events are well done. The time delays - in my case anyway, comes I think in having to rebuild cities/infrastructure/income 2-3 times after Hannibal, Social War etc. Delays campaigning but only solution I can think off is lengthening the scenario (which I think you discussed in an earlier post). Do other people keep up roughly - curious to know if its just my playing style !

16. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Sorry about the 500AD scenario clean-up. I've been a bit busy working on my mod and school. (Follow link in sig)

17. billyc999

billyc999 Chieftain

This is a really great mod. Love the historical aspect. Played the 275 BC scenario and made it to the Alliance with the Goths then it crashed. Looking forward to this getting fixed.

18. lorenzodercole

lorenzodercole Chieftain

I am playing the 275BC scenario version beta-p10 and I found a couple of potential bugs:
    - year 267 AD I am experiencing a crash (turn 372)
    - year 48 AD "more or less" there is a britonic revolt in Eburacum. If you conquer the city in the same turn of the revolt it happens again the next turn, is it a bug?

19. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

How many turns were left to the next tech?

Turn 372 - should be the same as above. The problem is that it's looking for the WRE, but it doesn't exist yet.

The other one is just poor design. I need to change it so Boudica happens some turns after Bitannia is conquered. Right now it's just on a fixed turn.

20. billyc999

billyc999 Chieftain

Last turn before the crash there was 1 turn left to next tech (alliance with the Goths), the year was 283 AD, turns was 380, there was 146 turns left. File (should) be attached. Creating and placing the WRE--is that a big deal or something easy?

Attached Files: