Civlopaedia Entries

d4nte

Chieftain
Where can I find the files required to make changes to the in-game 'pedia entries? May sound like a petty thing, but the typo's, grammar mistakes and sentences that don't make sense really bug me :undecide:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml contains all the textkeys in the game, including all civilopedia entries in addition to units dames, mouseovers, etc.

If you're finding typos, grammar problems and odd sentences, post them in the cosmetic issues thread so that they can be fixed for the next update - everyone benefits from your work that way :)

better: attach your cleaned up "CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml" to your next message: it will even speed up more the job for the ffh team as they won't have to search/copy/paste modified texts for the next patch.

better: attach your cleaned up "CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml" to your next message: it will even speed up more the job for the ffh team as they won't have to search/copy/paste modified texts for the next patch.

Unless they've made their own modifications to CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml, in which case they have to copy/paste the stuff into their altered file anyway.

That's still easier than doing them one at a time since you can use an editor to compare them.

Alternatively alternatively, there's a thread around here somewhere where someone was creating a website which read the XML to generate its content, and could reverse the process to update your XML, or at least to create an updated file to download. That'd be the way forward :)

MagisterCultuum said:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 030\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml contains all the textkeys in the game, including all civilopedia entries in addition to units dames, mouseovers, etc.

I tried, but my XML editor wouldn't open the document. So then I opened it with notepad and made the changes, but this time couldn't save it as an XML file. Ah, the joys of Vista.

@d4nte

I hope that at a minimum you'll correct the verb "effect" to "affect" where it should be corrected.

Tried to edit the text file (xml) using XML Notepad and got this error...

"Invalid chracter in the given encoding. Line 12, position 60"

Any ideas... Should I be using a different program to open/edit?

Odd, never got that one myself. Maybe you could try Notepad2, it lets you color-code things, so can be a bit nicer all around (and numbers the lines in case of future errors... well, ones that allow you to open the file in the first place to look for them...)

d4nte said:
Tried to edit the text file (xml) using XML Notepad and got this error...

"Invalid chracter in the given encoding. Line 12, position 60"

Any ideas... Should I be using a different program to open/edit?

I had the same problem, so I'll be glad to hear what the solution might be.

It opens fine with notepad2 - thanks for the help.

Have completed buildings and Civ descriptions so far, still about 25,000 lines to go (but only correctng English text at this point - yes I am mercenary :) )

Another matter about peadia - some links are missing. For example, fire mana miss the Amurites palace as producer. I'd thinked those links are auto-made but it seems not to be a case (or just 1st resource from each bulding is considered?).

Also some civ requirements are missing (e.g. Gridlines building is buildable by Lurchuip only, Jeweler - Kuriotates only?, Angel is Mercurian unit only?)

Some links are badly linked to another page with same name. (like Angel unit/Angel promotion)

Of course, there are some missing themas, but its ok for beta, right? :) I miss some description about golems and theirs fireballs most.

Mine 2c

Alternatively alternatively, there's a thread around here somewhere where someone was creating a website which read the XML to generate its content, and could reverse the process to update your XML, or at least to create an updated file to download. That'd be the way forward :)

That was me. I hope to have that available when the next patch is released, so I can import that patch and start in sync with the dev team.

OK, have proof read and corrected all the English text in the patch g xml file, except for the unit pedia entries (approx 85% complete).

I'm reluctant to do the rest I have am aware that patch h text file has more entries. Is there any way to merge these files so I don't have to start from scratch or is this a dead end?

Yep, it works ok (slow though). Now finishing off last 15% and will forward to Kael - whether or not he decides to use it is another matter...... ;)

BTW, anyone who hasn't taken the time to do so, I strongly suggest you read through the civ texts, leader texts, and tech texts - exceptional backstory and some very funny entries ("Hey Otis, what you doin'", "Sittin' on the dock of the bay.....")

Finally completed and have sent Kael a message to contact me to obtain copy of the completed text file (unable to e-mail him directly or post it here).

d4nte said:
Finally completed and have sent Kael a message to contact me to obtain copy of the completed text file (unable to e-mail him directly or post it here).

Sounds good! I didn't feel like waiting, so I went ahead and made corrections in the text for myself -- the whole "effect"/"affect" thing was REALLY bothering me.

Top Bottom