CivMail - a simple mail client for Civ4. Formerly known as CivPop3

current version: 0.42 (June 20, 2008)

Compatible with: BtS 3.17
(Vanilla and Warlords also possible, see Installation Instructions)

Download

Version 0.42

Description

This mod adds a simple POP3 Client to Civ4, allowing you to check your mails from inside the game.
Open civPop3.py in a text editor and change the first few lines to configure your account.

Installation Instructions

Unzip this into the "civ4_install_folder\Mods\" folder.

For configuration instructions, open CivMail.py and check the comments at the beginning of the file.

If you are not playing with Beyond the Sword, delete CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums.py and use CvMainInterface(vanilla).py or CvMainInterface(Warlords).py and CvScreenEnums(vanlila_warlords).py by moving them to the Assets/python/screens folder and renaming them to the original file's name (CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums.py).

Known Issues

The password is stored without encryption. This can be a security risk. You can, however, choose not to store your password and change it in-game every time you start Civ4.

The game hangs for up to 30 seconds when you end it while it is trying to connect to a POP3 server.

Only plain text e-Mails can be opened. HTML is not supported.

Version Information
Spoiler :

-----v0.42-----

- compatibility with BtS 3.17

-----v0.41-----

- compatible with BtS 3.13

- converted FfH Editor to open document format (including new export script)

-----v0.4-----

- it is finally possible to send a mail using CivMail

- a mail being sent will trigger a mail delivery report,
indicating whether a mail was sent successfully or not

- it is now possible to configure CivMail ingame (data isn't stored on the hard disk)

- dropped support for vanilla and Warlords.

-----v0.3-----

- replaced PopUp by 'real' screen, including ability to read entire mails.

- smtp code included. only thing not yet possible is capability to actually *write* a mail in-game.

- renamed from CivPop3 to CivMail

- BtS compatibility

-----v0.2-----

- automatically fetches mails every 5 minutes

- some code optimisations

- better commenting

-----v0.1-----

-initial release

===Credits & Thanks===
a part of the code is from Simon Burton:
http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread22928.html

Screen is based on Mercenary Mod by TheLopez

Screenshots

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 586
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 462
The original thread is here. I renamed the current version since the first name was confusing to some and is inaccurate for a mod that can both receive and send mails. I still need some help with the latter, though... ;)

Does anyone know how to implement edit boxes in a screen interface? Sending mails is not of much use if you can't edit the message you want to send in-game, hence my inability to include such a feature is a major obstacle to a convenient send-mail functionality.

Alright, since I didn't manage to make screen edit boxes, I did everything with PopUps. It may not look as nice as a new screen, but you can now send a message and configure your CivMail account in-game. Have a look at the new screenshots in the original post.

Im trying to use the cliente. How can i open CivMail.py ?
Im trying to play with Warlords, and there's this instruction in read me:

"If you are not playing with Beyond the Sword, delete CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums.py and use CvMainInterface(vanilla).py or CvMainInterface(Warlords).py and CvScreenEnums(vanlila_warlords).py by moving them to the Assets/python/screens folder and renaming them to the original file's name (CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums.py)."

I dont understand where i delete the file, and where get the new file.

Hope you can help me...:)

You can open the .py files with any text editor (notepad in Windows for example).

The files you have to replace are in the folder "My Documents\My Games\Warlords\MODS\CivMail\Assets\python\screens" (the first part might be different, depending on your operating system and on which version of Civ4 you use).

The files you have to replace them with are missing in the latest version though. I updated the mod to include them again. If you download and install it again, they will now be in the right folder, but with a different name. If you're playing with Warlords, delete CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums.py from the folder mentioned above, then rename CvMainInterface(warlords).py to CvMainInterface.py and CvScreenEnums(vanlila_warlords).py to CvScreenEnums.py.

Thanks.....its working now.
But i can't send or receive mail ....... Im trying to use yahoo mail.
I don't find the civpop3.py to configure, and i don't now how to configure civmail.py....
Could you help me?
This mod is very cool!!

The mod was renamed some time ago, so civPop3.py is now civMail.py. Open the file with any text editor (notepad or whatever).

There are four entries you need to edit:

Your POP server, your SMTP server, your user name and your password (you can leave the entry empty and enter the password in-game if you think it's safer).

If you don't know what your POP3 and SMTP server are called, check the yahoo mail help page.

Im still getting an error to connect mensage.
I configured civmail.py, and im trying to use gmail:
pop3= pop3.gmail.com
smtp= smtp.gmail.com

Im sorry annoying......:(

the POP3 server of gmail is pop.gmail.com , not pop3.gmail.com

Also, make sure you enabled POP3 on your account (see here).

I was using GMX.

I can try helping you by telling you how to get a more meaningful error message. First, open civMail.py and put a '#' in front of the lines 100-103. This sign 'comments' the code, making sure it is not executed.

Then, open the CivilizationIV.ini (it's in the game folder (*\My Games\Warlords)) and set 'LoggingEnabled' to 1 and 'HidePythonExceptions' to 0.

Then, try civMail again. There will probably be a popup-error message. Either make a screenshot of it that you upload or close the game, go to '*\My Games\Warlords\Logs', open PythonErr.log and copy & paste the error message here.

Top Bottom