1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivRu versus CFC PBEM

Discussion in 'Civ3 - PBEM Games' started by akots, Mar 17, 2005.

1. akots

akots Poet

This thread is for general discussion of the upcoming PBEM where 3 players from CivRu will compete with 3 players from CFC. The game is in the stage of being organized. I'll add more info later on. This is open thread and should not contain any spoiler information.

The CFC players:

Whomp
    Haruka/Tomoyo
    Regentman

Russian team players:

Mahler, Hell, Thug

2. akots

akots Poet

Civilizations and playing order

1. RUS1: China
    2. CFC1: Persia
    3. RUS2: Celts
    4. CFC2: Japan
    5. RUS3: Greece
    6. CFC3: Iro

Please note that save are to be named:

RUSCFC001a, RUSCFC001b, etc to RUSCFC001f. 001 stands for turn number and letter to sequence of play. For example, player RUS2 will save his turn number 22 as RUSCFC022c and player CFC3 will save his turn number 101 as RUSCFC101f. If there is some confusion about turn numbers please check F8 screen.

Special rules:

1) All exploits per UN rules and Aggie's rules are prohibited. The player who uses these will be eliminated and his civ destroyed completely. If someone notices that other player in his team or in other team has used an exploit, please let me know. the game will be stopped and full investigation will be launched with the help of other experienced people if needed.

2) Victory conditions are set as Allied Victory. This means all kinds of victories are allied victories. Allies cannot wage a war against each other and cannot make peace with their opponents from the other team since the game is started at locked alliance of RUS1, RUS2, and RUS3 versus CFC1, CFC2, and CFC3.

3) Gifting cities between allies is prohibited unless absolutely required. Please get an approval for the deal from the game admin (me currently) before the deal clearly stating the reason. Please make sure there are no units in the gifted city.

4) Reloading is forbidden. Unusual combat results and sudden build changes are subject to investigation if complaint is filed to the admin.

Game level is Emperor. Accelerated production is ON. Barbarians are set to raging, no goodie huts. SGL disabled. SoZ enabled. Land - continents without islands, age - 3 billlion years, climate and temperature - custom, more close to average.

Victory conditions:
    Domination, Conquest, Cultural, Space Race.

List of exploits pertaining to this game:

1.Resource sharing. No player is permitted to share a single resource through the use of the Resource Sharing Exploit. Two players gifting and regifting a resource as well as cancelling it allow two teams to get use of the same resource that wouldn't be otherwise possible. A resource is to be used by one team per turn, no exceptions.

2. Invalid Map Trading. No player is permitted to barter, gift, or otherwise trade any sort of map, whether it be a screen shot, minimap, hand drawing, or any other 'picture' of the in-game map, mini-map, or embassy screenshot before the requisite tech is discovered. Verbal/text descriptions are allowed, but coordinates are not. A player creating screen shots, drawings, or other depictions of any part of the in-game map before the requisite tech has been discovered.

3. Reloading. No player is allowed to reload the game with the intent of altering the outcome of any event, combat, or other in-game result. Someone reloading the game when something happens that they don't like and wish to change. Playing the turn in a different order to alter the outcome of said happenings.

4. Save Manipulation. No player is permitted to use the PBEM savegames or other files to obtain information or alter any in-game element. This includes monitoring or altering memory while the game is loaded. Using MapStat is also prohibbited. Save should not be opened with any program other than C3C version 1.22.

5. Zoomed Loading. No player is permitted to have their settings set to have the game zoomed out when loading a PBEM savegame.

6. Misleading through Renaming.

7. Fortifying a boat/passenger. The sea vessel would enjoy increased visibility during the next turn. A player can move the vessels the full allotment of movement points then “wake” the passengers and give them then “Fortify all” command which fortifies the sea vessel as well. It is allowed to use the “Fortify All” command on a vessel or a stack of vessels that has movement points left before the command was issued.

8. Hitting F1/back-forward to change production. It is possible to use F1 to go into city views and change production or rush items before a city has been reached in the pre-turn production queue. This can result in tech-enabled units and Wonders being completed the very turn the tech is researched, or production to be changed in response to an enemy's actions (like Walls if a stack moves toward a specific city and not another).

9. Hitting F1/back-forward for double tile usage. It is possible to use F1 to go into city views and use the Forward/Back buttons to change the work force allocations before a city has been reached in the pre-turn production queue so that a tile can be used to used by 2 or more different cities in the same turn. This can result in the possibility of a bonus tile being “shared” by 2 or more cities.

10. Using GoTo/Auto-Explore/Auto-Workers to get extra movement.
    The last team in the turn order can issue the “GoTo” command, and have a unit move twice before the next turn begins. This is very strong in war-time. Every Civ has that option, that's why it is stipulated that no one use go-to. Note: This does not provide an extra turn of movement, but rather advances the timing of that movement (ie. 2 moves in turn 1, and 0 moves in the final turn of the task). Similar results can be achieved with auto-explore and auto-workers.

11. Battle Log. For all combats, players must submit a log of what units attacked, retreated, died, won, etc. from each battle on that turn to the team they attacked. This includes the capture of units and cities.

12. Free Palace Jump. Jumping the palace by disbanding the capital. Rushing a palace with MGL or building it brick by brick is OK.

13. Throwaway Cities. It is possible to go everywhere by settling, moving a setter one tile further in, abandoning the old city, founding a new one, etc...etc... A city shouldn't be abandoned in the same turn as it is settled.

14. Negative cash research. The penalty of negative cash is only one unit. So there are cases where this can be worthwile. Science spending must be lowered when the cash would go below zero.

3. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I post what I posted in the other thread:
    I could see either side of this idea. Were you just going to run a random map and move starting locations around?

4. akots

akots Poet

The map will be very balanced. Can be completely symmetrical or just nearly identical still with some pecularities.

5. Mahler

Mahler Warlord

I think the better map is that is not completely symmetrical

6. Vox[SU]

Vox[SU] Chieftain

Mahler, did you assemble the russian team already?
    Trollyan and Thug were about to play, isn't it?

7. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I think the map should be not symmetrical, but as fair as you can make it.

Posted in the other thread:

8. Mahler

Mahler Warlord

Vox, why don't you ask me in russian forum ? :lol:. I ask all Russians to post there.

@CFC Please, don't consider it as advertisement.

Let the civs be up to Akots. He is the god who will create a world for our game :lol:. I don't like too much bureaucracy :D

9. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

Yeah, symmetry probably isn't the best.

10. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

RM: Don't give ISDG details or hints. !!

11. Mahler

Mahler Warlord

Akots, exclude the possibility to get a free tech or settler from barbarians, pls

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Why don't we play with no goody huts?

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I PMed ainwood and he said that, since a save is loaded every turn in this game, it will be impossible to count the number of reloads. It looks like we will either have trust each other or allow reloads.

14. akots

akots Poet

There is always a method to check. ;)

Just need to keep all the saves by all players...

15. akots

akots Poet

OK, here are the wishes for the map specs from Russian team:

Size - standard
    Shape - continents, no islands
    Accelerated Production - ON
    SGL - ON
    3 players from team start on a same continent. Starts are balanced but not identical
    City trading between teams forbidden
    Team players start in locked alliance
    Preserve random seed ON
    All epic victory conditions ON including Conquest, Cultural, Space, Domination (Still with Diplomatic? Allied Domination victory?)

What else is unclear:
    Difficulty level: ?? I'd recommend Emperor
    Statue of Zeus/ivory - ? Knight's Templar?
    Continent - Can be reached before Navigation? How many ocean tiles between?
    It might be better if the teams will pick their civilizations??? It is very hard to balance these kind of things imo...

Order of play: AAA-BBB will move faster. A-B-A-B-A-B will move more slowly. ??

Anything else? I'm sure there always be a possibility of replacements if one of the team players drops off.

16. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

My comments: SGLs should be off. They are too random and one early one will break the game.

SoZ requires horses? That would work. KT should be as normal.

I'm indifferent about the distance between continents.

17. Mahler

Mahler Warlord

SGL off
    order to PLAY A-B-A-B.. (Otherwise it will be like 1x1 game)
    Ivory can be placed on an island between continents so that each team has equal chances to get it.
    No huts giving settler or free tech

18. Mahler

Mahler Warlord

Tomoyo, many players from russian forum do not believe in possibility of such control as well. Therefore, they simply don't want to participate. Maybe, let reloads will be allowed?

19. akots

akots Poet

Don't think it is a good idea. But whatever you all decide. :sad:

20. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I think we will have to trust each other not to reload... :(

But, at least, we'll have preserve random seed on. And, you can't reload to a few turns before in a PBEM, so I don't think reloading will have that big an effect on the game.