1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs aplenty as Civ 5 Website Updates

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by bite, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

I sat there smiling while watching all the leaders' greetings. They look really good and a lot of fun!

I'm disappointed in there not being any Vikings. I will play the Russians then. And why does George Washington sound like Bill Clinton!? :lol:

Nice stuff. I actually love this!

2. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

First Reaction: THIS IS AWESOME THIS IS AWESOME THIS IS AWESOME

Second Reaction: It IS awesome, sure, but no Mongols? Come on, they had the largest contiguous empire ever! I want the Khan! Still, Iroquois are cool, and I am extremely happy that they didn't bundle all North American civilizations together again. Looking forward to DLC with Mongolia, Spain, Scandinavia, and Inca now (yes, I don't mind DLCs, don't judge me!).

EDIT: A look at the civilizations:

AMERICA - Washington looks OK, probably. "Flying Fortress" and Minuteman are good units, but I have no idea what "Manifest Destiny" does.

ARABIA - Rashid is cool. Same unit as before, but now with bazaars. At least Trade Caravans is pretty obvious what it does.

AZTECS - Montezuma is cooler than ever, and also very scary. Nice work. Jaguar was obvious (but they still won't call add Warrior or even Knight to it), floating gardens are good, Sacrificial Captives is again not something that needs much explanation.

CHINA - Wu Zetian looks good. Very good. Ehm, anyway, Chu-Ko-"Nue" is a classic, paper maker sounds decent, and Art of War gives Sun Tzu the credit he deserves.

EGYPT - Another awesome reimagining of a classic leader, and again with a classic unit. Burial tomb is... a pretty redundant term, and Monument Builders sounds like it has to do with wonders.

ENGLAND - Hi, Liz! So, the Longbowman and Ship of the Line have been "uniquified" for England's benefit, interesting. "Sun Never Sets" is another very poetic ability that I can't figure out what it does.

FRANCE - Napoleon sits there on his horse, which is good, I guess. Musketeer and Foreign Legion is a good combination, but Ancien Regime as a power? That's just not right.

GERMANY - Give Bismarck his hat back, now! A good thing, however, is that it has seemingly absorbed the Holy Roman Empire, with both panzer and landsknecht at its disposal. Furor Teutonicus sounds pretty military (not to mention ancient).

GREECE - Alex isn't too impressive, really. Hoplite is good, but I guess they meant Companion Cavalry as the second unit. Hellenic League is... no, don't know this one either. Diplomacy?

INDIA - Gandhi is still cool. Is war elephant another uniquification? And surely Mughal fort is a building, unless we now have great mobile fortresses wandering around the battlefield. Which is a cool, but not very realistic idea. Population Growth is the most obvious (and also boring) ability yet.

IROQUOIS - ...Weren't you just animated, Hiawatha? Well, like I said, it's a good civ to have. Mohawk warrior, longhouse, Great Warpath: all nice.

JAPAN - Someone is killing animations, aagh! I will now go into hiding unless the same thing happens to me. Bye!

3. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yeah. Real disappointment about the Mongols and the Vikings. I mean, old Genghis has been a pain in the rear and a symbol for Civilization since the first one in 1991. Real shame. And Sumatra (or whoteva) instead was real weird. They're so obviously going for cashing in on DLC, because they know we want Genghis and the Vikings! A shame.

4. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Nice I guess, but I'm less interested in fluff than gameplay and mechanics.

The leader graphics could be stick figures and it'd have zero impact on the game.

5. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Where do you get the idea of what those special abilities mean? Or do you just speculate of what they do?

6. Lord Xavius

Me? I'm just speculating.

7. eduhum

eduhum Aahh the gold old days...

Where are?:
    -SPANISH
    -Vikings
    -Mongols
    -Inca
    -Etc…

8. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Yeah, they're in our "blind spot" too (see Ottomans). We don't know anything about them. :rolleyes:

No Zulu, no Mongols, again no Babylon.... :undecide:

A lot of the unique items sound very contrived, especially the abilities. B-17, seriously? Didn't we learn that the F-15 was a terrible UU? And I really hope the Civilopedia turns out much better than this. It almost reads like a wikipedia parody.

9. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Babylon is in, but you have to pay for it :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_V#Civilizations_and_leaders

I'm not impressed.

10. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

That's not the civilopedia. It's just the website. Unfortunately it's a tad Americanized and really ill-written, but I don't care, as long as the game isn't like that, they can do whatever they want with the website.

I really liked the leader portraits in any case. I agree with Zhahz that it's just fluff and shining bonus and that it's really not important, but I really liked the look of them. They're going to be my buddies and enemies during a lot of playing hours, so I'm happy they look the part at least.

Now show us more on how the game works, Firaxis.

11. heihojin

heihojin Prince

Yeah, I read about Babylon only being included with the digital collector's edition. The more I learn about Civ 5, the more willing I am to wait until the game is priced at $20 or less.

12. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

One thing I'm really relieved about is that we finally know Persia is in. They're much more deserving to be ni civ than the Vikings.
    Another thing: Fur trading post ? Sounds awfully specific. It seems Firaxis just can't think of a decent UB for Russia.

13. Sun Ce of Wu

Sun Ce of Wu Warlord

They removed a lot of animated leaders! This morning they were all viewable, now a lot of them ( Wu Zetian for example) are sobstituted by concept art. Maybe they wanted to reveal them in different times...

14. Wonderblunder

Wonderblunder Part Time Monster in the Closet

Wait...No Spain and no Mongols? I wonder why they're not included in the vanilla Civ5 game? Oh well, I guess I'l have to wait for the inevitable expansion packs.

As for Germany, the civ I almost always play as, whatever happened to the Assembly Plant? How else will I be able to pump out Panzers in SOD's?

About Washington, does anyone else think that he acts a bit drunk, with him swaying and all?

Finally, the new screenshots in the media section look amazing! I especially love the one with the samurai. Has the river art been slightly changed though?

15. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yeah. They removed the animated versions of some leaderheads. Lucky me who was in time to get to see them all though! Haha!

16. Lord Xavius

Indeed. When I posted above, Hiawatha and Nobunaga had been "eliminated". Now the same thing has also happened to Wu, Alexander, Gandhi, Suleiman, Darius, Augustus, Catherine, Ramkhamhaeng, and Askia. The only ones still animated at the moment are Washington, Harun, Montezuma, Ramesses, Elizabeth, Napoleon, and Bismarck.

17. RickWJ66

RickWJ66 Chieftain

18. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yeah! And September 24 for Europe and the rest of the World. Yeyy!

19. Lord Xavius

...Hadn't they already confirmed a September 1 release date, or am I going quite insane?

20. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

2K confirmed the 21/24 September date on their 2K forum just a few minutes ago as well, so it's pretty much carved in stone.