1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs aplenty as Civ 5 Website Updates

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by bite, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Washington looks drunk in his animation.

2. TheFourthDoctor

TheFourthDoctor Chieftain

France's special ability is "Ancien regime" with Napoleon as the leader??? Old Boney's a few years too late for that.

3. stopstopp

stopstopp Struggling Emperor

this new info makes Civ V look even worse. Thanks for another step backwards, Sid.

4. Oatse

Oatse Warlord

You are literally unappeasable.

5. stopstopp

Could you give any reasons on why Civ V is any better than civ IV? None that I know of right now.

6. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Finally! One who has played the final product so much that he can tell us about how the two games perform compared! Tell us all about it now, for I want to hear every detail, Stopstopp!

Maybe you'll want to wait till the game is done before doing the review, mate :p

7. stopstopp

The thing is, I won't have time for that. My laptop on which I play Civ on is underpowered, and Civ V is going to be a bigger resource user, so I will need to buy a whole new computer to play it. So I would like to know whether the given facts make the game better before than the one before it before I dedicate spending money on a new computer for Civ that I would otherwise be able to buy other things I want.

8. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Oh. I'm going to get myself a new computer just because of this game. This old one is really outdated. You should wait until the game is released then and see what people say and read reviews. If you like the idea enough, then go out and invest in it.

I myself can't wait though; I want the game yesterday.

9. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I guess they removed the animations, because they were awfully clumsy. Bismarck is fine, didn't feel weird to me (maybe if I understood german though). But many of them just felt weird and unnatural. Catherine for example doesn't seem to have the same sparkle she had, doesn't have a sparkle at all actually. With that clumsy animation plus that monotonous speech, civ4 Catherine felt more lively (isn't that what they told they went for?) than this speaking one. Her speech felt like a machine translator. And Elizabeth. We didn't really see much of Elizabeth, what did she say? Hello, and then she froze?
    Other than that I think we'll just need time to get used to them. I just hope that they work on those animations before the final release.

10. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Actually I thought Catherine was the jewel amongst them! She was very suitable for an 18th century lady; rather stiff and very much correct, in fact. She was pretty monotonous speaking though.

11. Brownsfan02

Brownsfan02 WWII Buff

the site is beautiful, i wish there were a few more civs though i already got a bismarck wallpaper off the site

12. evrett37

evrett37 Prince

13. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Well, Elizabeth is one of the few still on the site. Speaking of which, it feels weird that they removed/replaced some and not all.

14. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Oh, Evrett. You make it sound like a win-win situation for all of us. I get Genghis and Greg gets boobs! I'm OK with that.

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I'm still annoyed about Babylon and the DLC. :mad:

Some of the animations aren't working for me.

All of them were left out in Civ3 and eventually included in the expansion. I imagine that's what's happening here as well.

TBH I'd rather see either Mongol or Inca in place of Siam, and Spain in place of Iroquois.

16. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I feel Catherine needs to be a bit more aggressive and less bland. And it would be nice with a German accent.

17. T_F

T_F Reynardine the Great

The guy reading for Mohteuczoma II can't speak Nahuatl. His pronunciation is painful.

And Ramesses II is speaking Arabic. Alright then...

Other than that, awesome.

18. moopoo

moopoo King

Is there noone else exited to see brand new civs? i'm quite glad genghis khan isn't a starter - it's entirely predictable how he'll play every single time you meet him. Siam, Songhai and Iroquois were great choices imo, the only one i'm really missing is spain.

19. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Yeah, it's good to have a native American civilization in the vanilla version (and bonus points for it not being generic "Native America"). Siam and Songhai, however, just seem to be replacements for Khmer and Mali, but Askia does look like an interesting (awesome) leader.

20. Shambler

Shambler Chieftain

The website looks very Bioshock-y/art deco to me. I don't know if this was intentional or because 2k's marketing department is still stuck in the 1950's retro design mindset.

Interesting that Babylon isn't listed in the civilizations.

Still waiting for a decent gameplay video.