Civs beating you to wonder by 1 turn

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Artifex1, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

Is this a gimmick? I assume its a cheat (AIs know how far along you are and rush their wonder?)

This cant be chance since it happens to me most of the time it is 1 turn.

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

No, it isn't a cheat. It's just a combination of bad luck and selective memory.

3. rustydusty10

rustydusty10 Chieftain

This happened to me, it was the Spiral Minaret. I thought i had it in the bag, it had like 2 turns left so i traded Divine Right to Cyrus, BIG Mistake!!, i forgot he had a Great Engineer stored up. :sad:

4. eric_

eric_ Emperor

I don't think it's a bug or a cheat or anything, but it is one of the most aggravating occurances I can think of.

5. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

There is one upside: Production gets converted to cash at a nice rate.

This principle can even be leveraged quite advantageously by the human player during the course of a game by starting to build certain wonders knowing the AI will beat you to them.

Also: In the line of thinking that the One-turn Wonder beat-down is a cheat, that would also mean that the only wins we get are the ones the AI allows......

6. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

Yes it can. I ended up with several thousands of gold in the treasury and just said screw it and ran a full 100% with a deficit for about a thousand years.

And still I lost.

eeeppp!!!! :eek:

7. Murky

Murky Deity

I think it's good AI on the developers part. One time, I was 2 turns from completing the Pyramids when all of a sudden Qin pops a GE and builds them on next turn.

8. shivute

shivute Prince

It is a good tactic to check your trade advisor the turn that you build a wonder. Often the AIs have also been building it and get a load of cash for it.
    A good time to trade some techs for cash methinks? :cool:

9. drkodos

drkodos Emperor

Agreed, and also when you get notification of any other civ completing a wonder.

10. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

You'd think so, but the jerks are mostly allergic to making reasonable offers. What they have in their banks, and what they're willing to trade, are often greatly disparate, as you'll notice once you get a spy making the rounds.

11. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

You don't need a spy to see how much money they have available, it is shown on the page on who can trade what technology.

12. LibertyGeis

LibertyGeis Chieftain

That's how much they're willing to trade, not how much they have in their treasury. Try as he says and station a spy to view their city manager, and you'll see he's right -- those two are very seldom if ever the same figure. I've seen Isabella only offer ~250g in trade during an age when she was swimming a la Scrooge McDuck through a stockpile of 11,000g. So wonder-to-gold conversion won't always swell your available trades.

Incidentally, I've noticed when you subjugate a vassal their entire bank account becomes tradeable. (And pretty easy to extort, if you're so inclined.)

13. The Lardossen

The Lardossen Warlord

If it's the only early wonder I build regularly, Stonehenge, I often find the cash it gives almost is better than the effect of the wonder!

14. automator

automator King

Love the cash, but hate getting beaten. Even worse is when you've stupidly wasted an engineer earlier for a head start. Thankfully, I've now corrected that mistake and on keep the engineer there to finish the project.

15. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

SO WAT IF THEY FINISH THEY THE WONDER 1 TURN BEFORE YOU FINISH!?

It shows you that you should of used those hammers for units and used them to conquer the wonder from your rival AI.

2 turns from Finishing Hanging Gardens, Asoka south of me Finished the Wonder, Declared War the next turn and took it back as easy as that.

16. Meatbuster

Meatbuster formerly Robo Kai

Yep, you conquered the Gardens, but you didn't get the +1 population :lol:
    But at least you get to keep the money AND the wonder.

17. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

I kept the Cities I conquered though LOL they probably decreased in pop because of war. Although I do keep the GP points nad the Extra health Bonus to all my cities... Which I needed for my Capital Priest Production City.