Civs Made More or Less Likely by Current Civ Cities

TahamiTsunami

Prince
I've been enjoying looking at the maps of the current Civ cities found here and here made by @bite . It's been noticed that there are certain gaps or filled-in areas within a civ's territory that suggest some civs are more likely to get in than others. Of course there's nothing definite one way or another here about if a civ will for sure be included or not (especially considering how much overlapping territory some civs like the Byzantines and Turks have or just how large and therefore spread out some civs cities are), but I thought it would be fun to speculate considering the time we'll have before the next dlc or expansion. This doesn't include city-states since we already know their potential to be full civs like Korea and the Neatherlands.

Arabia - I was reminded recently that several Yemeni cities are in Arabia's city list so the chances of a full Yemen civ aren't looking good. Many Syrian cities are also included so Syria isn't looking likely either unless ancient and classical Syrian cities were known under different names (like Egypt's) to avoid clashing city lists. I'm not certain on this but I'm assuming that there wouldn't be much or any overlap of city names between Arabia and the kingdom of Judah.

Rome - Carthage and Byzantium are already really obvious and are almost guaranteed to get in regardless of the cities of other civs. However, that Rome map does make it even more obvious to expect their inclusion in the future. The inclusion of Artaxata and Palmyra does make it look like Armenia and Syria aren't that likely to be made full civs.

Persia - They also have the same Armenian city (called Artashat here) so its another point against Armenia. Chances are that several of Persia's cities probably make many other Middle Eastern kingdoms like Uartu and Media less likely to appear. On the plus side, there is plenty of room in Mesopotamia for Babylonia and Assyria. Persia does have Marakanda but the capital of Sogdiana can be called Samarkand to avoid conflict.

England - They had room for Scotland to appear and it looks like they could fit in Ireland and Wales as well. I'm assuming there could be room for a Briton civ if they really want to include them.

America - The most obvious absences here are any cities from Hawaii and Alaska. That makes it a bit more likely for us to see the kingdom of Hawaii and the Tlingit make an appearance. There are also many other spots within American territory that have room for a Native civ (especially in the west, parts of the south and northeast, etc.) but thankfully the Native civs should have different city lists anyway so many groups like the Iroquois, Navajo, Choctaw, etc. should be fine regardless. The only exception so far appears to be some of the Pueblo groups that don't want their ancestors depicted in media.

Spain - They've obviously got some room saved for Portugal!

Russia - They have a ton of room in Siberia if Firaxis ever wanted to add more civs there. The only choice I could think of if there had to be a Siberian civ would be Yakutia. Yakutsk is on Russia's city list but it could be called Jokuskai in Yakutia's city list. Khazaria could probably fit in if it was desired but it looks like Kievan Rus would have some overlap with the Russian cities.

India - It doesn't seem like we'll get the Chola or Mughals due to their overlap with Indian cities unless there are plans to get more alternate leaders for India.

Australia - Australia does have plenty of room for a civ in the central and northwestern parts of their territories, but it seems unlikely given that the Aboriginal Australians don't quite fit in as a civ and I recall hearing that (like some of the Pueblo) they don't want to see their ancestors depicted in media.

China - There is plenty of room for Tibet but unfortunately China's attitude about it doesn't make a Tibetan civ likely without losing the Chinese market.

Feel free to point out if I missed anything.

If you look at Germany's Map the territory that Frederick Barbarossa owned as the Holy Roman Emperor included lands such as Italy and Austria, even though all the cities are located just in Germany making room for cities to be used for Austria, Italy, and dare I say Bohemia.

True, I can't believe I overlooked that one, good catch. Some more representation in central Europe would be nice. Austria would be a returning civ too so they have a decent chance of coming back.

True, I can't believe I overlooked that one, good catch. Some more representation in central Europe would be nice. Austria would be a returning civ too so they have a decent chance of coming back.

Austria has many things going on for them that might help them to return: A powerful female leader, good way to give bonuses to diplo or vassals (if they ever become a thing), there's no city.-state of Vienna in the game ...

One big thing against them though is that Barbarossa's ability is Holy Roman Empire and the Germany unique ability is Free cities which is again pretty tied to Austria.

One big thing against them though is that Barbarossa's ability is Holy Roman Empire and the Germany unique ability is Free cities which is again pretty tied to Austria.
I don't see these things being tied to Austria. His ability is Holy Roman Emperor which Maria Theresa wasn't an Emperor but an Empress. And where he is military based I can see her being diplomatic as in she's able to generate more influence points towards envoys per turn and gain an extra level of visibility when she sends a delegation/embassy (marrying off her children).
The Free Imperial cities were more located in present day Germany as well. Since Vienna was the great classical music capital of the world, I can see bonuses toward Great musician points and more slots for them, like the amphitheater.

China's city-list is pretty much devoid of cities in Southern China.....does that allow for a Civ there?
That ticks me off a lot......:mad:

I don't see these things being tied to Austria. His ability is Holy Roman Emperor which Maria Theresa wasn't an Emperor but an Empress. And where he is military based I can see her being diplomatic as in she's able to generate more influence points towards envoys per turn and gain an extra level of visibility when she sends a delegation/embassy (marrying off her children).
The Free Imperial cities were more located in present day Germany as well. Since Vienna was the great classical music capital of the world, I can see bonuses toward Great musician points and more slots for them, like the amphitheater.

Austria should get an Opera House special building which comes earlier than the Broadcast Center and holds more than one GWoM. Perhaps bonus culture/loyalty with it.

Austria should get an Opera House special building which comes earlier than the Broadcast Center and holds more than one GWoM. Perhaps bonus culture/loyalty with it.
I was on board with that idea early on but then I decoded that an opera house might be more fitting for an Italy civ. Instead I thought of an Alpine Ski Resort built next to a non desert mountain and that gains more gold and culture based on appeal.

I was on board with that idea early on but then I decoded that an opera house might be more fitting for an Italy civ. Instead I thought of an Alpine Ski Resort built next to a non desert mountain and that gains more gold and culture based on appeal.

Italy should get the Galleria which replaces the Art Museum. It should have auto-theming and perhaps reduce the price of purchasing GAs.

Italy should get the Galleria which replaces the Art Museum. It should have auto-theming and perhaps reduce the price of purchasing GAs.
Thats what I thought they should before I figured the opera house would be a better fit. I figured there special ability could be kind of like the British Museum but tie them to the art museum and other tourist places like holy sites, wonders etc.
Discounts on GPs would make a great leader ability for Lorenzo De Medici of Florence.
Anyway to sort of get back on topic I hope that the lack of Italian city states and/or Austrian means we might get at least one of them.

Maria Theresa wasn't an Emperor but an Empress.
And Empress-consort at that, though it was pretty much her politicking that got her husband elected and she was definitely the brains of the outfit.

Yes, yes, yes.

Not a major civ, but the lack of Assyrian and Italian city names amongst the city states, makes me think they'll be included in a future expansion. The absence of modern Italian cities especially is jarring. Khazaria and Haida would be cool, left-field picks but if there are only 8 Civ slots to fill, they're fairly low priority for me. Since there were hints in the source code pointing towards Haida and Italy (as Genoa) having been in development at a certain point, it looks good for both of them.

The lack of Mughal and south Chinese doesn't hint at anything though. The Indian and Chinese city lists include the most prominent oneses of the Republic of India and the Qin empire respectively.

The lack of Mughal and south Chinese doesn't hint at anything though. The Indian and Chinese city lists include the most prominent oneses of the Republic of India and the Qin empire respectively.

I know that, but the Chinese city-list infuriates me to know end. Why only include cities/and non-cities :rolleyes: from the Qin Dynasty? Shouldn't they try to represent all periods of Chinese history?

It just indicates to me a second leader for China is unlikely. Sure, we have Beijing on the list, so it's possible a Ming/Qing dynasty leader can be added. But I'm incredibly disappointed that only one city in Southern China (Guangzhou) is present on the list. Are southern Han Chinese peoples not considered part of the Chinese civilization?

Maybe it's hinting at Portugal with Macau? :p
There doesn't seem to be any continuity when it comes to city naming. that I've seen. If China has most of it's cities represented by the Qin Dynasty, other Civs like Korea and Indonesia have cities that span more than their current leaders reigns. Of course it might come down to that China has so many more choices, so it was easier to deal with the leader's time, but I'm not sure.

Maybe it's hinting at Portugal with Macau? :p
There doesn't seem to be any continuity when it comes to city naming. that I've seen. If China has most of it's cities represented by the Qin Dynasty, other Civs like Korea and Indonesia have cities that span more than their current leaders reigns. Of course it might come down to that China has so many more choices, so it was easier to deal with the leader's time, but I'm not sure.

Some of the Chinese city-names aren't actually cities. Why put those in when you can add actual cities in South China?

Some of the Chinese city-names aren't actually cities. Why put those in when you can add actual cities in South China?
I don't know. I would definitely rather have the names of real Chinese cities.
Speaking of Macau for some reason I could definitely see them as potentially becoming a city for Portugal along with Colombo (Sri Lanka) and other colony cities similar to what they also did with Spain and the Dutch.

I don't know. I would definitely rather have the names of real Chinese cities.
Speaking of Macau for some reason I could definitely see them as potentially becoming a city for Portugal along with Colombo (Sri Lanka) and other colony cities similar to what they also did with Spain and the Dutch.

Civ5's Portuguese city-list had those: Goa, Maputo, Luanda, etc.

Spain having Manila seems to indicate a Philippine Civ is less likely, as much as I would like to see that happen.

Spain having Manila seems to indicate a Philippine Civ is less likely, as much as I would like to see that happen.
If it's one city like Manila, there is a possibility they can remove it and give it to a Philippine Civ. The only downside is Spain already got Granada moved from them when it became a city-state, so I don't know if they would do it to them again, but it's possible. Removing a handful of cities from Arabia to make a Civ for Syria or Yemen might be too much.

Wow, I haven't noticed that Spain and the Netherlands have colonial cities. That's...bizarre.

Wow, I haven't noticed that Spain and the Netherlands have colonial cities. That's...bizarre.

I only noticed Batavia in the Dutch city-list. Any more?

I know Spain's list also has an Algerian city. Oran I think?

Top Bottom