Civs That make you Start Over

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by joshua43214, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

Boudicca: I heard you wanted a specific pantheon. ... and it's gone.

2. Nargluj

Nargluj Chieftain

Played a standard size continents map recently. Spawned on a continent with only one other civ, guess who? Shaka!

3. Jampine

Jampine Warlord

Hmm, China and Greece seem to be quite hated here, but I'm ok with them oddly enough. Alex is usually more of a pain in the butt than a real threat, and one time, when everyone hated him, I managed to completely and utterly steamroll him, capture his last 8 cities in about 8-9 turns:king:

China is a civ that I don't often see, but they're odd when I see them. They never die off(unless I intervene :splat:), but they never seem to be....good at anything. They often get cornered into only having 3-4 cities in my games, and when its over, they often rank in the lowest of most demographics, which is odd, as when I play China, I'm an absolute powerhouse, with a bigger army that the rest of the world combined. Also, China has one of the best UU's and UB's so its odd they fail for me, but easy to see why they are a problem to all you guys.

4. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

The only civ that will make me restart is if I'm trying to do an LP and the same civ shows up too many times because that gets stale. Like seriously if Hiawatha shows up again I am discarding that game and getting a restraining order against him.

Of course, a few civs will sometimes make me restart involuntarily by murdering me sometimes. Darius sticks out in particular.

5. darden

darden Chieftain

the Shoshone if I'm on a large island/small continent map.

on Pangaea, I'll just settle in the opposite direction, but if we're locked together on the same small continent, they quickly eat up all the good tiles with their huge city area.

6. Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad Warlord

I just lost a Prince level game where I was cooking along, well ahead of everyone else for a spaceship victory, and suddenly POW, Greece wins a diplomatic victory. It was my first game of Brave New World that I've completed, and I just wasn't expecting how the Diplomatic Victory had changed. It was really unpleasant because it felt so unexpected.

My first reaction is definitely that I hate the new Diplomatic Victory rules. I'm just not all that clear on what you're supposed to do. I guess start a war the moment you hit the Atomic Age if a nation has diplomatic dominance, as Greece is sure to do?

7. Rohili

Rohili King

No, just buy up all the city-states before that happens. Use Pledge to Protect + Consulates to get 30 influence for free permanently; that way you will have to spend less. On Prince it should be trivially easy to have them all under your control by the Modern Age because you will probably also be completing all the CS quests to be the leader in science/faith/culture without even meaning to.

8. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

Ya, this is why so many of us hate Greece :)
    You hit satellites, and now the clock is ticking. Once you enter the info era, the world leader vote starts, the host gets extra votes, and the Forbidden Palace gives extra votes. If Greece takes the right stuff, he basically does not lose any influence with CS and he can hit scary high numbers.

Up to Immortal difficulty, the Forbidden Palace is consistently gettable, I always get it to deny it to the AI. After that just do the odd CS quest and make sure you lock down as many CS allies as possible. I am typically 3-4 votes shy of DV's in my science games on Immortal.

9. Gus_Smedstad

Gus_Smedstad Warlord

That wasn't my experience. Sure, I was getting the Science first, but I was consistently far behind on Faith because I didn't take the Piety track, and I wasn't getting Culture because it seems you really have to actively work at Culture generation with Brave New World. Except for the Monument the buildings are all +1 Culture, and getting more means generating Great Works, which in turn means spending a lot of GPP on Writers and Musicians instead of Scientists.

I wasn't aware that the Forbidden Palace now affected the Diplomatic Victory vote. I don't know anything about Consulates either, I'll have to look that up.

10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Venice, Continents. My neighbours were Hiawatha and Gandhi.

I wasn't standing for that kind of nonsense.

11. Loucypher

Loucypher King

I always ragequit when I hear "EEEEEEEEY MAAAAAAAAN!". Of course I got no clue what Kamehameha really says, but dear god do I hate him.

12. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Prince

13. kojax

kojax Chieftain

Kamehameha's thing is that since his units can embark across oceans immediately, you almost always meet him in the first few thousand years if he's on the map. So if you reset maps a lot, you'll see him more than other civs. And he's really silly looking. Surely the man must have some more respectable clothes he could be wearing.

Ghandi also just looks too pathetic to me. It's hard to be his friend. I know... he's a great man... But he's a great man with no sense of style.

14. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

The musicians, artists, and writers are not in the same group as scientists, engineers, and merchants. You can make as many cultural GP's as you want and it won't effect the number of GS's you make.

Don't worry about being behind in faith. You will notice that most deity players do not even try to get religion, only a pantheon. The only thing you need faith for is faith buying GP's at the end of the game unless you have one of those seriously stoked desert starts where you can buy early units - but this is only worth doing if you plan early domination.

Hopefully consulates will get fixed in the fall patch, its utterly broken right now. I mean free friends with every CS for nothing but spending two easy to get policies and sending a scout around? I build one shrine and get enough free faith to do some faith buying just from consulates...

15. jlim201

jlim201 King

Every time I play with Sulieman as as a close neighbor, I end up getting wiped out early because I don't usually get a army until pikemen. If I meet him before medieval, I start pumping out bowmen