Civs that, upon discovery, become Target #1!

Valatros

Chieftain
If you have a civ that, in any game you play, if they're in it you alter every plan you have to WIPE THEM OFF THE FREAKING MAP, say who and say why! I'm curious if there's anyone else who has a few special experiences that taught them in-game racism.

In order that I would tend to obliterate them if I got them all at once:

1. Nobunaga/Japan. When I was relatively new to civ, I was playing as Egypt, and I'm not really sure how I pissed them off (Not very hard to do, and wasn't familiar with the AI) but all I remember is this HORRIFYING STREAM of unstoppable samurai. I wish I had screen shots, but as a Huge map player on Epic they had 20-40 units, most of which were samurai, just... collapsing onto my entirely peaceful existence. Never forget. NEVER FORGIVE.

2. Ghandi/India. SELF. FREAKING. EXPLANATORY. So much blood... so much horribly incinerated blood...

3. Austria/ForgetHerName. She's just... the whiniest civ I have ever met. You expand, in ANY direction, and it's her dirt somehow. Even if its AWAY from her. You so much as accidentally complete a city state quest? Whinewhinewhine. The AI is pretty whiny in general, but she cranks it up to eleven.

And I guess my favorite civ to ally with, though it is often difficult as I like to be a naval power:

Dido/Carthage! I don't actually have a reason for this, and in fact it tends to be pretty difficult to do. But whenever I wipe out Carthage, I feel bad. Like, the Romans did enough to them so attacking them is like kicking a guy when he's down.

Hiawatha, because he puts cities everywhere if you don't contain him. Virtually every game I've played against the Iroquois, they spam cities on every available empty tile.

If you're playing multiplayer, then Arabia, Mongolia, and England are all candidates: all three have incredibly powerful units for Medieval and eras afterwards, so if you discover that you're neighbors with them, you will want to wipe them out before they can field their UUs.

Hiawatha, because he puts cities everywhere if you don't contain him. Virtually every game I've played against the Iroquois, they spam cities on every available empty tile.

I'll second this. Hiawatha is so annoying, even when I first started on lower difficulties he spammed cities everywhere.

Rome can also be pretty bad if he goes Liberty but Rome always seems to be a master of everything. So I priorities on getting rid of him before the late game

I think my first experience with in-game racism started with Alexender/Greece. It was my first experience with an aggressive AI and although he didn't directly attack me (until later) he decided upon himself that he'd like to conquer everyone around him and it usually works. Then to add salt to the wound if you want a city state ally with Alexander in the game, you'll empty your pockets dry. Just to find that he's now their ally again.

The second contender would definitely go to Shaka, Attila or Genghis. At least Alexander has a plan when he wants your land, these guys will just DoW and be a general nuisance even if their UU spam can't take your land. Oh what's that? You're the most behind civ in the game now because of all the unsuccessful wars you waged? Now they're brown nosing you, asking you for help whenever they see fit with a big old "Friendly" tag. Only to shove a knife right in your back when they've decided that you're weak, or they've just gotten bored.

Then last, but certainly not least is Sweden. Sweden is subtle about it and that's what makes it so much worse. They'll get nice and friendly with you with their DoF's to benefit from their UA but, the moment that they think you've done the slightest wrong by them or they think you're weak, they will swarm you with the biggest army you have ever seen. Sounds a bit like Russia and England now that I mentioned it, but at least they have the decency not to leach off you from their UA.

Wow no love for Korea in here yet eh. Higher difficulty level they must go sooner rather than later. If they have any decent start they can run away with science....

Hiawatha - he is like a virus or some sort of zombie apocalyptic plague the way he spreads. He seems to solely build settlers. Will end up with every square of the map covered by cities if you don't stop him.

Siam - just so annoying. Do anything he doesn't like - denounced.

Ethiopia. STOP WITH THE FREAKING MISSIONARYS.

Dido/Carthage! I don't actually have a reason for this, and in fact it tends to be pretty difficult to do. But whenever I wipe out Carthage, I feel bad. Like, the Romans did enough to them so attacking them is like kicking a guy when he's down.

I find that pretty funny because I believe that Dido is one of the Civs more likely to backstab you. Not sure but I think she has a lot of points in the backstabbing category (dunno what it's called)..

1. Shaka
I hate shaka with a burning passion. I don't think I've ever had a declaration of friendship with him.
2. France
The backstabbing is real
3. Korea
Sejong is actually really nice, but he's too op in terms of science (especially on higher difficulties) so I normally go for him first (he normally doesn't have a huge army either). It's funny cause I'm korean.
4. Greece
Alexander as an AI is just such a douchebag. His city state UU is also annoying.
5. Siam
Ramkamtrollface (Marborzir) keeps forward settling me. Even if it's across the map.
6. Iroquois
Spams cities and get's too hostile too quickly (they covet your lands!)
7. Rome
Caesar likes to spam units and send them towards me.

Long list but I like to rant about Civs because these doods piss me off so much
Enough for me to go Gandhi on their butts

Can I just say that my favorite neighbor is Morocco? It's almost like just having a helpful neighbor. Never seems to want to actually harm you, just wants to trade and make friends and sign research agreements. As long as you don't do something to piss him off they'll just be cool almost all game.

Alexander, Boudicca, Dido, Attila and Shaka on the other hand...Dido is the biggest backstabber around, Boudicca won't keep her religion out of your lands, Attila and Shaka are both just insane and Alexander would rather settle your lands than his own. I also hate most of the city spam civs like Hiawatha and Monty.

Depending on the difficulty level as soon as I see certain civs I'll just quit the game. I had a really good Poland Deity game once, such a choice start. Dido shows up with just an INSANE sized Army and steamrolls me. Doesn't even give me the courtesy of going after one of my lightly defended cities first. Just shows up with a legion of elephants at my capitol and DoW's me. There are a few civ's like that, where I know that no matter how I try to play them they're just going to roflstomp me and there is nothing to stop it.

Can I just say that my favorite neighbor is Morocco? It's almost like just having a helpful neighbor.

I agree. Morocco is a civ I actually like having close by. They rarely seem to get belligerent, and they love to send caravans and trade fleets my way, which is fine by me.

Haha this thread has so far mostly had opinions from the people who don't like violent aggressors as neighbours. Guess what, I LOVE them. The ones I love even more are the weaker wonder-builders like Morocco and Venice. As a warmonger, I love to wipe everyone out, starting with either the weakest or the strongest, doesn't bother me either way. But my most hated leaders are Oda, Ash and Genghis, because they are just like me in their play style :D

...To quote this from earlier upon discovery, Rome had to be eliminated.
That's allowed as it's.........accurate :p

The civ I hate the most as a neighbor is Poccatello as his UA is horrible if decides to settle right next to you. Those luxuries you planned on getting are now his.
Tactically speaking Alex should be eliminated asap, Maria is in their as well.

Greece because Alex is so annoying. I mean, the guy denounces me a turn after he meets me?

The Huns, but only if they are my immediate neighbor. Especially when he sends a carpet of doom on me early in the game. Once that invasion is beaten back, I plan my revenge.

Venice because he is always asking for my stuff for free because apparently he's struggling. I also don't like it when he starts gobbling up my city state friends and allies.

If I find the Zulus and they are my immediate neighbor. There is no way I'm going to sit around and let him swarm me with Impis. And even when you hold off the attack, you know he's going to do it again.

I'll second this. Hiawatha is so annoying, even when I first started on lower difficulties he spammed cities everywhere.

Rome can also be pretty bad if he goes Liberty but Rome always seems to be a master of everything. So I priorities on getting rid of him before the late game

I certainly agree, I forgot to add Rome to my post. Not only does he enjoy putting cities everywhere, he seems to do everything well. But I don't think that is what I hate most about Augustus. Every time you initiate diplomacy with him, you have to deal with him and his overly annoying smug face.

Just Austria. Everyone else isn't really that bad, but any aggressive neighbor can certainly dictate your early game play style. Heavy expansion civs don't bother me as much since under the "new" CiV model if you can get 3 decent cities you're good to win.

Wow no love for Korea in here yet eh. Higher difficulty level they must go sooner rather than later. If they have any decent start they can run away with science....

Hiawatha - he is like a virus or some sort of zombie apocalyptic plague the way he spreads. He seems to solely build settlers. Will end up with every square of the map covered by cities if you don't stop him.

Irq aren't on my list, his very large number of self founding cities are part of why he's not actually a threat to win the game.
(He makes other AIs mad at the number of cities he founds "founding cities too aggressively", doesn't build enough science buildings to make him a threat to science victory, doesn't build enough tourism buildings to be a threat to win cultural victory, etc.)

AI controlled Korea on Deity though needs to get wiped out since they are a threat to science victory. If it started next to AI Zulu, you probably don't have to do a thing, but if they are next to you and don't have an aggressive AI as their other neighbor, then you should probably DOW them to cripple them at some point.

I like to prey upon Egypt. They make wonders and their Burial Chambers give you extra gold for taking their cities. They're always on my to-do list.

Top Bottom