1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs that won't go away in your games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by njmfff, Aug 2, 2013.

1. HappyBuilder

HappyBuilder Chieftain

Polynesia. But I never know what type of game they'll play. Most of them time, they're brushed aside like an afterthought, but occassionally they'll blow up into a major force.

2. eewallace

eewallace King

Dido is always there. And she always attacks me. I see alot of Alexander, too.

3. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

Greece. Greece are in every game!

4. DyadoMraz

DyadoMraz Chieftain

It seems that every time I don't play a warmongering civ, I have Shaka right next door
    It's getting annoying

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It always seems like it's Greece and Polynesia for me. The one I rarely see is the Aztecs. I think I went 6 months without seeing Monty after G&K came out.

6. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Indonesia and Polynesia also show up in my games, but I really haven't seen Poly in a long time.

And yeah, agree with you, he tends to go culture, then he tries to conquer the world, then he switch to being good diplomat. :mad: Make up your mind already!

and for some reason, I often seen Polynesia taking Autocracy, almost every game, while (oh the Irony) Germany taking Freedom. :lol:

7. de_baser

de_baser Warlord

Pachacuti and the Incas are in every game for me, and almost always a huge runaway.
    Napoleon has been showing up consistently since Vanilla!
    In BNW i've yet to roll a game without encountering Ashurbanipal. Anyone else get this?

8. reidzeibel

reidzeibel Chieftain

Greece, One does not simply pursue a Peaceful diplomatic Victory :|

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. Ximixanga

Ximixanga Enlightened Despot

Top 10 most common civs in the last couple of games I've played:
    1. The Huns
    2. Siam
    3. Ethiopia
    4. Greece
    5. Germany
    6. Austria
    7. India
    8. Byzantium
    9. Babylon
    10. Ottomans

Top 10 civs that I almost never see:
    1. Korea
    2. Spain
    3. Egypt
    4. China
    5. Songhai
    6. Mongolia
    7. Russia
    8. Iroquois
    9. Sweden
    10. Inca

Anyone I haven't mentioned shows up every now and then, but not in practically every game or hardly at all.

10. andymant

andymant Chieftain

I am pretty sure Japan has been in every game I've ever started in Civ5 from the beginning!! Before BNW this used to drive me crazy because he was an isolationist, denouncing prick who is no fun to go to war with, but in BNW I find.. he's actually quite pleasant. He's been my earliest and longest ally in every game so far!

Honorable mentions are Murica who never does well and Russia who still builds a trillion cities and then tries to run over you with Cossacks. And the Iriqouis who are there and who are either a doormat or the runaway civ, never in the middle.

11. Nivrax

Nivrax Chieftain

Isabella and Dido seems to come up in every game, nothing like reliable neighbor... Celts like to come often too.

I very rarely seen Polynesia or Iroquois. Yet to see Poland.

12. The A.K.T

The A.K.T Warlord

Gonna Disagree on nebu.

13. eisforeccentric

eisforeccentric Chieftain

For me it's always been Monty and Rome. Monty I can deal with, as I can usually scare him off. But Augustus is a pain. Whenever I see him I know I can expect a DOW within 50 turns, and after I turn him back he'll just be an uncooperative grump the entire game.

Used to run into Pacal almost every game, and because of that I've developed an "I hate you, but I respect you" attitude with him. For whatever reason he's not showing up as often these days, but I still see a lot of him.

Conversely, I rarely see Egypt, Songhai, Babylon, Korea, or Carthage. I don't have BNW yet, so I wonder if any of these patterns will change.

14. simonthesinner

simonthesinner Chieftain

Polynesia had an impressive streak of being in 9 out of 10 consecutive games. Otherwise I see Ethiopia a lot. Either Mayans or Russia are usually in and tend to go for the "solospawn on a continent wonderwhore runaway" - prize

15. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Askia has been in (almost) all my BNW games. The Netherlands and the Americans are also common. Sweden has been in my latest two games and in the game before that, I played them.

One good thing though, I have only seen Poly once in my BNW games, he was in a lot in pre-BNW. This is good for my personal health, I have started to grew such a hatred against Poly so whenever I see him, I think "seek & destroy".

16. KillingMeSoftly

KillingMeSoftly Warlord

Siam and France is in everyone of my games. Greece and Russia are also contenders.

17. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Yeah, Monthy is easy to fend off, mostly because he attacks early with lot of Jaguars and 1-2 catapults. So you just place 2-3 composites in the right place and he's no problem. After that, he ask for peace (sometimes even offer his cities) and he's all friendly (until later at least)

but Rome... he's trouble. He'll either expend way too much, or he'll wait until he builds up huge force. Also, if left unchecked, he will get high into tech, spam lot of wonders and be pain in general. I always look to cripple him early on, either myself if he's close, or pay other AIs to do it... or make everyone hate him to the point that he will be in constant war with someone. :lol:

18. ButSam

ButSam King

I *really* wish Firaxis would implement a "NOT" option in the advanced setup...so you could select civs to *not* include in your game...it could just be a checkbox option to exclude the civs you select instead of including them.

I have seen Mr. Orange in most of my recent games.

That said, I did notice something *very* important but not much talked-about in the latest version of Civ (BNW): The ADVANCED setup savings now carry over from the previous game setup. So, if you (for example) selected to include Catherine in your last game, then she will be in every game you start until you go to the advanced setup options and change that back to Random. So, if you do end up with someone in literally every game, especially if it is someone that you had at some point in the past wanted to explicitly include in the game, check your advanced settings!

19. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Warlord

Common:
    Songhai - Rarely an issue, he's always my neighbor and I always attack him early when he shows up. I just can't trust a guy with a burning city in the background of his leader screen.
    Maya - Don't have much to say about Pacal. He's neither overly aggressive nor a wimp. Usually does pretty good in my games.
    Ottomans - He used to demand money from me all the time back when the AI could do that and I think it was him who killed me in my first game.
    Napolean - Plans for cultural victory out the window
    Germany - And they're usually in last place every game. They get taken out before they get their UUs
    Portugal - Same as Pacal
    Mongolia - Either they turtle and do poorly, or act too aggressively, get the world mad at them... and do poorly.

Rare:
    Egypt
    England
    Morocco(haven't seen them once yet)
    Carthage
    Aztecs
    Rome
    Siam

20. Czer

Czer Chieftain

This. Its been the case since vanilla and has carried over to BNW. Early city spam with AI buffs on higher difficulty levels makes for a super powerful civ.

In this latest game Portugal is absolutely SPAMMING me with great prophets, Ive managed to pin a couple between mountains and my army, kind of funny watching them stay there for 1000+ years unable to move :crazyeye: