1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs you think we'll or you'd like to see in Civ V?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Revoran, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Revoran

Revoran Chieftain

What Civilizations would you most like to see in DLC / expansions? Civ IV and III both ended up with 32 Civilizations by the end of their run, if Firaxis continues that tradition then that means that 13 or so more civs need to find their way into the game.

Here are the Civs I think the most likely, below the line in each section are civs that aren't in the game yet, above it are civs that are in the game.

Americas

America (United States)
    Iroquios
    Aztec
    -----
    Incas
    Maya

East Asia

India
    China
    Japan
    Siam
    -----
    Korea
    Mongols
    Khmer

Middle East

Arabia
    Persia
    Babylon
    Ottomans
    ------
    Sumeria

Europe

England
    France
    Germany
    Rome (Italy)
    Greece
    Russia
    -----
    Spain
    Scandinavia (Vikings)
    Byzantines
    Portugal
    Netherlands
    Celts
    Holy Roman Empire

Africa

Egypt
    Songhai
    -----
    Zulu
    Carthage
    Mali

The only civs I can see that might be overly redundant are the Mali and Khmer as they occupy space that a launch civ had their real empire in at a different time, and may not be distinct enough from that civ. IE who can tell the difference between the Songhai and the Mali.

2. Lancor

Lancor Chieftain

Good list, but you pretty much just copied the Civ IV civs...? ;)

I think Carthage will follow soon, probably Spain and Vikings by popular demand.
    But I could imagine the DLCs will feature small themes, perhaps even scenarios... like "Conquest of the new world" -> Spain, Netherlands, Inca, Maya added or "Ancient times" -> Carthage, Sumer and Celts added. And so on...

But...
    ...you could say the same thing about Germany and the Holy Roman Empire. Or Byzantine Rome vs. Rome. Such overlappings will occur als long als you mix civs from different historical eras.

3. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

With Spain and the Vikings not in the main game, it seems fairly obviously that at some point there will be an expansion/DLC with seafaring countries such as those two, The Netherlands and Portugal.

A warmonger DLC/expansion with the Celt, Zulu, Carthage, Mongolia etc also would be predictable.

4. RagnorIronpants

RagnorIronpants Chieftain

I'd quite like to see civs that haven't been in a game before - either the Visi- or Ostrogoths, namely, but also the Almohads, Parthians (a Hellenic-Persian hybrid civ would be cool!), or Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. I'd also like at least two more sub-Saharan African civs.

As for returning civs, I think most of the ones in IV were pretty interesting. It'd be cool if a particular Celtic group was in, like the Gallicians or Brythons or Gauls, rather than just the "Celts", which is a bit like the Native Americans in BtS. Judging from your list Europe looks a little fat though - wouldn't particularly mind American, East Asian and African civs as a priority.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if DLC worked on the basis of having a couple of new civs from one region along with a scenerio or two and a couple of maps from that region. The expansions would presumably stick several DLC civs together and add in a couple of major new features. That may explain why certain regions are under-represented in the vanilla game (a Mesoamerican civ pack would sell really well...)

5. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

Good call on the Almohads, the game could definitely use a Moorish civilization.

I have no doubt that a Mesoamerican DLC will be published at some point with the Inca and Maya.

6. Revoran

Revoran Chieftain

Actually more like the civ III civs as that was the last civ I played - plus a little imagination and checking the civ IV civ list ;)

I agree on Europe being a little fat, especially with the game being made by a company with a western viewpoint. It's somewhat justified with many great Empires - especially after the Renaissance period - coming from Europe (not to mention we can't just add civs only for the sake of diversity) but it gets a little stale when other areas of the world are underrepresented.

I remember playing on Earth maps in Civ III where certain civs would run away with the game because of the amount of space they had in which to expand unchecked. Mostly the Iroquios, America, Mongols, Russia and the Zulu to a lesser extent because they had a lack of fertile grassland and mostly plains/desert/mountains/jungle in Africa. (Assuming culturally correct starting locations). And European civs, crowded in together with no room to expand, ended up getting steamrolled. Even though the Incas pretty much had all of South America, a bad start in mountains/desert and the huge amount of Jungle made them develop pretty slow, as well as their isolation from almost everyone else.

7. Lightzy

Lightzy Chieftain

Israel :)

One of the few civs to actually exist as it always has from pre-ancient times to modern times, though somewhat turbulently, and on the same piece of land even

8. Lancor

Lancor Chieftain

Carthage warmonger... some statements at these forums make an (even young!) historian really chuckle sometimes ;) no offense!

But yeah, as I said too, such "themed" expansion DLCs could really be thinkable and worth it's money.

It might be interesting to see how they will behave with DLC vs expansions.
    I think they won't deliver that many DLCs, and more expansions like we are used to, with only the single or double civ DLC once in a while.

9. logarithm64

logarithm64 Omnipotent Space Lizard

I think we'll see Inca (because Firaxis said that it was difficult to find someone who could speak the Quechua language) and Mongolia (because it was mentioned in an early preview)

10. Kamamura

Kamamura Chieftain

Vatican

11. RockTheCazbah87

RockTheCazbah87 Pacal's pal

We'll get Spain no doubt. Other than that, I'm fairly easy. Personally, I'd like to see an Australian civ.

12. ProfessorPhobos

ProfessorPhobos Chieftain

I would say...

Spain
    Mongols
    Inca
    Zulu
    Mali
    Sioux
    Vikings
    Korea
    The Dutch
    Portugal
    Ethiopians

Would be my top 11, based on precedent in past Civs and general recognizability and popularity. Adding 11 also brings the total to 30, which I feel is a nice, satisfying number of civilizations.

13. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

Zulu and Mongols are the ones I'm missing the most. Anything else is icing.

14. wilebill

wilebill Chieftain

Sumerians need to come back.

Minoans make sense. Like the Sumerians they were advanced for their time.

15. Charybdis

Charybdis Scion Doomgiver

I'd like to see an Oceanic islander civilization. A few tribes to pick from. Only one that comes to mind to me is the Maori's simply because they're just across the straight heh.