CivScale: Graphics Scaling Tool

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
ColdFever has updated his Graphics Scaling Tool to work with Civilization IV v1.61. You can download it from the BlueMarble homepage. This program allows you to change the scaling of graphics & texts in Civ4 easily, such as the size of units, flags, city buildings, etc. Some players have used the utility to get rid of the cloud in the globe view and found this improves game performance.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7

I am playing Civ 4 at a high resolution on an HDTV (1440x960) so the default font ends up being very tiny. CivScale does increase the font size somewhat when I crank it up to the max setting of 5, however the text is still too small.

Anyone know how I can make the text even larger? Would it be possible by manually editing the theme files?

Thanks
J

jman311 said:
I am playing Civ 4 at a high resolution on an HDTV (1440x960) so the default font ends up being very tiny. CivScale does increase the font size somewhat when I crank it up to the max setting of 5, however the text is still too small.
Indeed in theory you can enter even bigger font values in the file Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme_Common.thm at the SF_CtrlTheme_Civ4_Control_Font label. But unfortunately the text screens won't grow with bigger fonts, so at some point you will get overlapping texts or cut texts. Because of this I limited the text scaling to values that still generate a somewhat pleasing result. But feel free to experiment with the values yourself.

Can the cloud strength be adjusted and have an effect mid-game, or does it have to be zerod-out prior to starting a new game?

Hello,

I can select both "Original Graphic Scalings", and "Blue Marble Suggestions" and press activate, and they both work, but when i select "Custom Graphic Scalings" and press activate, i get an error stating;

error : error number 2509:
cannot read file C:\Program Files\GaMes\Civ4\Assets\XML\Misc\CIV4DetailManager.xml

The file is there, and when i check the affected files of the other two, they both list this file. Can anyone help me?

Does this happen to anyone else when trying to use custom settings?

Sorry, you are the only one reporting this error and I am not able to recreate it. Especially error number 2509 is irritating to me, as this error comes from the basic file "open for read access" routine that also is used by the "original" and "blue marble" setting. If all settings would fail, I could make some sense of it, but just one failing setting is a mystery to me, sorry again.

Any idea if it can shrink the leaders? Perhaps down to the size you see when you're starting up a new game and picking who you'll play as? Normally it's a little laggy on my computer, but the smaller animations play much smoother.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll just bring to attention the fact that the 1.61 patch has rendered the current version of CivScale inoperable.

I found you can still use this tool if you modify the "GlobalDefines.xml" file, in the first line change 161 to 152 and save. You can then run Civscale. You should probably change the version number back when you are done.

Tempeler said:
I found you can still use this tool if you modify the "GlobalDefines.xml" file, in the first line change 161 to 152 and save. You can then run Civscale. You should probably change the version number back when you are done.

A new version of CivScale has been released so this is not needed any longer.

I know I am doing something wrong...

I am trying to remove clouds...

yet everytime I do it (the program says it is "completed")

I see no difference :sad:

I tried this with saved games/new games... yet I still see clouds :mad:

Do I need to put this program in the CIV4 directory?

my directory is named CIV4 (as opposed to the default directory) could this be the problem? :confused:

or can someone tell me what XML files and taglines I need to edit to manually remove the clouds...

I cant seem to find the files I need to edit... :(

any help would be greatly appreciated :goodjob:

EDIT: Well I found the files but I cant see the difference in clouds...?

Thunderfall / ColdFever, I am currently trying to get the CivScale mod approved over at Realms Beyond but it has the ability to show resources in the fog. Details of what I am trying to do are here (colour and font - no spoilers) and here (scaling - spoilers).

I haven't tracked down the particular item that generates the spoiler but I will post back here when I do. The general question I have is ... is it possible to get a version of this with the spoiler-enabled component removed?

ruff_hi said:
Thunderfall / ColdFever, I am currently trying to get the CivScale mod approved over at Realms Beyond but it has the ability to show resources in the fog... is it possible to get a version of this with the spoiler-enabled component removed?
Sorry, I have no intention to split the mod, and I also can't change the scaling functionality, because I am just using the general parameters Firaxis supplies. So perhaps you rather should write a bug report for Firaxis.

For your "approval processing" I would suggest to approve just the "Text" scale part of CivScale, because this absolutely has no impact on the game itself, as it only modifies the external "style theme component" Civ4Theme_Common.thm

In contrast the "Graphics" scale component modifies some core XML files of Civ4, and these manipulations are detected as a "cheat" anyway if this gaming option is enabled (GlobalDefines.xml and CIV4DetailManager.xml). Hope this info helps.

Top Bottom