1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivSprite 2 beta (Create ToT sprite files)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Mercator, May 24, 2020.

1. Mercator

Mercator Emperor

http://civ2.mercator.fastmail.fm/mapedit/files/CivSprite2beta2.zip

Looks a bit similar to CivSprite 1.0 except uglier. But in contrast with CivSprite 1.0 you now have full control over the animations you create. You can create sprite files from scratch with whichever images/animations you like.

Download and extract to start. You'll get a csui folder.
    1. Open the csui folder and run the csui program inside it.
    2. Select an existing Test of Time sprite file as input.
    3. Select a new "text configuration file" to create as output. (Make sure to select the "Text configuration files" option in the type drop-down.)
    4. Press the Convert button.
    That should've created the text file you specified plus a directory full of PNG images. Read the text file it created. It looks sort of like a Rules.txt with some comments in there on what everything means.

The Static.spr files are a little different from the other ones, so be sure to try both.

Edit images or create new ones. They can be bitmaps too. Edit the existing text file (or create a new one) to describe how CivSprite should turn your images into animations.

The text file is pretty flexible. CivSprite itself always generates images in a specific structure when converting an existing sprite file. But you can organize the images you create yourself in pretty much any way you like. You just need to edit some filenames and image coordinates in the text file.
    1. Run csui again.
    2. Select files the other way around now. I.e. select your text file as input first.
    3. And select a new ToT sprite file as output.
    4. Convert
    5. Play ToT with new graphics.
    Ask me questions or swear at me if it doesn't work. ;)

I suspect it only works on 64-bit computers (if anyone still has 32-bit). But if you know Python, here's the source: https://github.com/gofr/civsprite

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Blake00, CurtSibling, gapetit and 2 others like this.
  2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Mercator, that´s a great surprise! :woohoo:
    I will use your tool as soon as I have the time for it and thank you very much for all your work! :thanx:

3. Mercator

Mercator Emperor

I've updated the download link. I tweaked it a bit so now you can basically use it like SpriteGen as well to create Static.spr files from existing units.bmp files. There are some text config files included unitsbmp_to_staticspr... that let you do that.

4. gapetit

gapetit King

Thank you very much Mercator

5. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

6. Wiw

Wiw Chieftain

Ah, this'll be a valuable addition to the modding scene! Thanks a lot!

7. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

Awesome work!